SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Install Directory bug, stuck with multiple wiz.bin files

Looks like I got bit by the install directory bug too, I just didn't know it.

Background: had version 2.2.8 installed, updated to Beta 3 when it was first released. At the time, I didn't follow "clean room" procedures, and thought I lost my WIZ.BIN file. Accepted the fact as "one of those things".

Just updated to 3.0.7, and noticed that it tried to install to C:\Program Files\SageTV. I caught it, and in a fit of intelligence, redirected it to C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV. Post install, it looked like it lost everything. A bit of digging showed that it _actually_ installed to C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV\SageTV. Ooops. I guess it wants the "real" topmost directory.

I uninstalled, then reinstalled forcing it to C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies, which built out the correct structures. Suddenly, all of my new recordings were gone, but my old (presumed lost) recording info was there.

Turns out that the original beta install went to C:\Program Files\SageTV, and I never noticed.

The good news is I have both WIZ.BIN files, with the old and new recording data. Now, how the heck to I get all of the data into one file?

Sage - if you are going to put all your eggs into a single proprietary basket, at least give us _some_ level of control or manipulation. How about starting with a "recovery" utility that pulls the recorded program data from one WIZ.BIN file into another?

This file getting pooch-screwed is just too common an occurrance.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by src666
Just updated to 3.0.7, and noticed that it tried to install to C:\Program Files\SageTV. I caught it, and in a fit of intelligence, redirected it to C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV. Post install, it looked like it lost everything. A bit of digging showed that it _actually_ installed to C:\Program Files\Frey Technologies\SageTV\SageTV. Ooops. I guess it wants the "real" topmost directory.
I got bit by that faux paus on my part also when installing 3.07. Luckily I made my own backup of all the important files (Wiz.bin, Sage.properties) so that once I DID get it installed correctly all I had to do was shut down Sage and move the "correct" files back over.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Unfortunately, I "assumed" that the data was gone, when in reality it was sitting in another directory. If I had caught the install directory issue earlier, I could have just restored the old WIZ, but now I have a ton of shows in both.