SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Sage Icon

DirecTV Tuning Problem

The Problem:
I'm trying to setup SageTV for my brother. The only problem is he has DirecTV and I have no experience dealing with satellite tuners in SageTV. So I'm having channel tuning problems in SageTV 2.28 (fresh install). I'm using serial cable to an RCA DRD435RH DirecTV receiver. When Sage is launched, it only tuned to the first channel, any subsequent channels do not tune.

Troubleshooting:
I looked in the Sage.Prop file and made sure the "always_tune" value is "true". I also tried replacing the Updated DLL which I don't think matters, but I was desperate. And Lastly, I installed the latest beta 3.07 to see if it helps. But all efforts went unrewarded. SageTV still only tune to the first channel, and stays on that channel no matter how many times I tried to change it, it would not tune to the any other channels.

Lastly, I installed BeyondTV 3.7 and it tuned all the channels correctly, so this is not a serial cable problem, but a tuning problem in SageTV. I've seen someone posted HERE that the same RCA receivers works "flawlessly" in SageTV. Yet mind is not, what am I missing?

Cry for Help:
Anyone know how to fix this DTV tuning problem in SageTV?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.

Last edited by mayamaniac; 08-15-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Sage User

Try going to higher number channels, Some of the DirecTV boxes were sent firmware upgrades from direcTV a while ago which effected channel changes I think under 200. I was effected by this but have not checked to see if the problem is still there.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by footmasta
Try going to higher number channels, Some of the DirecTV boxes were sent firmware upgrades from direcTV a while ago which effected channel changes I think under 200. I was effected by this but have not checked to see if the problem is still there.
I don't think this is the case as I stated in the first post:
Quote:
Lastly, I installed BeyondTV 3.7 and it tuned all the channels correctly, so this is not a serial cable problem, but a tuning problem in SageTV.
Any other ideas???

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Sage Expert

BTT

I have the same problem.

I put in a support ticket about a week ago. It was a wasted effort. To say I'm pissed at Sage support for no support is an understatement. Now I'm dead in the water; strike one.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Sage Icon

Are we just the few that have this problem? No one on this forum knows what is causing SageTV not to tune the channels? BTV tunes fine through the serial cable to the receiver, just SageTV isn't. Whats going on?

Maybe I should've posted this in the software section as it seems to be a SageTV problem, not the hardware. Could a forum moderator move this thread, Opus4?

Last edited by mayamaniac; 08-16-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Sage Expert

Your server setup is similar to mine. Are you using just 1 STB (for now anyway)?

I am running 3.0.5, running Win2k3 srvr, 2x250s (no MVP though)

Would BTV work with multiple tuners?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Sage Icon

BTV supports multiple tuners since version 3.5. They are at 3.7x now which is the version I tested. They charge extra license fees for more than two tuners though. Check their website for more info, www.snapstreams.com .

My system that you see in my signature is running fine as I'm using cable TV. The problems I posted above is for my brother's setup, which I'm helping him with. And he has DirecTV, which I can't get it to work under SageTV, but it works with BTV. Still waiting for help....

Old 08-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sorry, no idea what is wrong. I have dtv with serial control, the RCA box you have should be fine. Actually since DTVs upgrade its prefered over the newer D10. Just for kicks did you double check everything in your setup, dtv serial control, com port, etc., does it recgonize the key inputs of the remote, after the first change, can your first channel be different each time, does it change channels if you use a keyboard instead, is the RCA setup for low speed data vs home control (prolly fine since BTV works)?

maybe just a corupted download or install, perhaps uninstall sage, delete everything, redownload and try again.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Sage Icon

Since BTV works, I have to rule out any problems or possibilities having to do with bad cable or bad hardware. If that was the case, then BTV shouldn't be able to control the RCA receiver. And I've tried reinstalling it and even tried the latest beta, with no luck getting it to work.

Its not like it doesn't work at all in SageTV. It does work, but it only changes the channel once, but thats it. If I close SageTV, and launch it again, I can change the channel once more, but it will stay on that channel. This is a bizarre problem. I already submitted the bug to sageTV support, hope they will reply.

Last edited by mayamaniac; 08-16-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Sage Expert

Have you gotten BTV working with multiple D* stbs?

It's a crappy risk migitation but given the absolute crap that Sage support has given I need to see what options are workable and do a risk reduction.

Last edited by dagar; 08-18-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Administrator

I recently spoke with SageTV's tech support... I'm not sure who tech support has been working with, but they have been trying to continue to work on this via email in order to figure out why it isn't working properly. Whetever the cause is for this situation, it doesn't seem to be a simple "flip this switch" type of resolution.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Sage Expert

Thanks Opus. When I get this working I'm going to make a SOP for it and will share it. There are too many incomplete steps floating around (for when it did work).
Old 08-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Sage Icon

Opus4, the tech that I was dealing with was George.

Dagar, definitely let me know if you figured out anything.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Sage Expert

Same tech here.

I'll try to check it on Sunday (I don't get in from travel until 2330 on Sat) but I leave again on travel Monday sooooooo.... :P It may be a week or so
Old 08-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Sage Icon

Just as an update, I reinstalled the OS and installed SageTV, and the same problem persisted. I also tried on a different machine and again, the same problem came up, where it would just tune one channel but none afterward. I also switched to D-10 (200) DTV receiver and it was even worse, SageTV wouldn't even tune it at all.

So just to recap, I have two DTV receivers (RCA and D-10), both with low data ports on the back, and tried on two different computers (one with freshly install OS), and till now, neither has work with SageTV. Yet the RCA one works well in BTV. Haven't tested the D-10 with BTV, so I don't know it that will work with it.

Anyway, I'm disappointed with SageTV and DTV support. I thought by now they would've gotten this figured out like BTV did. Personally, I have a monster SageTV system setup in my house, but with cable TV so it works very well, you can see the info in my signature. But trying to have SageTV setup for my brother who has DirecTV, its an opposite experience where it just doesn't work and by the lack of response from tech support, either they don't know the answer to why their products don't work, or they are not even looking at the problem yet.

Is everyone on cable and not satellite? Those with sateliite recievers, how are you guys getting it to work with SageTV? I have a USB-UIRT, so I'm gonna try that method to control the DTV box since the serial cable way is a no go.

Old 08-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have two d10-100s and one DRD486RH controled via low speed data port, mixing the two D10s with RCAs can seem to cause some problems. Low speed data port is the preferred method. D10-200 will not work via low speed data port with any HTPC I know of. Before I bought the two D10s, I had two old RCAs, the ones about twice the size of the D10, that tuned fine via low speed data port.

When you tried to get it working the first time, was only the RCA connected to the PC?
I asked some other specific questions to help troubleshoot earlier.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Sage Icon

I'm not mixing any receivers, its one at a time, I only have one serial cable anyway. I have a slightly different model than yours, RCA DRD435RH, but someone here says that this model works "flawlessly" with SageTV. I'm not sure how he did it but its not working for me. I already sent him a private message, but no response yet.

Old 08-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Sage User

some directv recievers have an option that changes how the low speed port behaves. Check your setup in the settings.

I've been using 4 RCA DirecTV boxes for a few days now, no problems with the serial port. Where did you get the cables? Have you tried PortMon to see if there is anything actually being transmitted through the serial port?

Personally, I'd start by seeing if there is anything comming out of the serial port, you can easily make a monitor with a couple LED's attached to pin 2 and another to pin 3, connect the other ends of the LED's to a resister (I use 470 ohms, but anything that size or larger will work.) anyways, connect the other side of the resister to pin 5, ground.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Sage Expert

You should try the http://www.dtvcontrol.com/ app to at least see if you can pass serial control. There have been no D10-200/300 confirmed to work with serial control. Even though they are supposed to be the same box. I specifically requested D10-100 boxes when I ordered from Value Electronics.

Mine checks out fine with that updated GML from another forum member (name/thread elude me now). But that's in Girder. I haven't been able to map it thru Sage/Girder combo (no time and documentation is asinine, where it exists -- unless a secret manual is being held somewhere).

Last edited by dagar; 08-21-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
Is everyone on cable and not satellite? Those with sateliite recievers, how are you guys getting it to work with SageTV? I have a USB-UIRT, so I'm gonna try that method to control the DTV box since the serial cable way is a no go.
I have three Sage-based systems that use feeds from DirecTV boxes; two with USB-UIRT infrared control, one with serial control. The two with the UIRTs are DirecTV/Cable/OTA-HD receivers. The serial is an old RCA model, a DRD515RB.

Getting several of these receivers to work with Sage has been challenging in some cases and downright impossible in others. The newer model boxes do not work with Sage's serial control. Some of the boxes won't respond properly to infrared commands from the USB-UIRT. It's been a carnival of frustration, unmet expectations and compromise.

I am currently searching for an alternative means to control a couple of these STBs, but the help and associated bodies of knowledge surrounding the various technologies are skecthy.