SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Sage User

Quick Question about Crappy Video Cards

I recently put together a Sage Tv system and it's a very VERY slow system. Im probably just going to use it as a server now that i know it'll work well. My question is with these specs:
PIII 933mhz
384mb pc133
4mb onboard intel video
PVR-500

Can i get a clear picture with this? Also im scared, does my video card have an effect on the actual quality of the video being encoded by my pvr-500? Thanks a lot guys!
Old 08-24-2005, 05:30 PM
SageTVaholic

It will be fine for a sage server, the video card has nothing to do with capture.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Sage User

that's what i thought. Thanks a lot. Also wondering, if i have that be my server can i use SageTV as a client? Not SageTV Client but SageTv? thanks
Old 08-24-2005, 08:14 PM
Administrator

SageTV can act as a client, but you will need two licenses for the full product to do that. This isn't too bad if you also want that client to act as a network encoder, but if it is only to be a client, then SageTV Client is probably better.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Sage User

I'm still getting sub-par video with my hauppauge pvr-500. Im wondering what i can do to change this? Anyone have any links to a good post on here because i can't seem to find any. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Sage Icon

do you have 3d accelleration turned off and are you using overlay? I would try those. Is the video washed out? Define sub-par video. What are you outputting to and how ie. VGA, S-video...?
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 08-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Sage User

Well im using my PIII system as a server and my p4 system as a client. So which one should i change the setting on? The server, right? The video is just bad quality. I can't really explain it. You can see squares almost but it's still some-what detailed. It's not a sharp picture. And im outputing through my P4's monitor. Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Sage Icon

Well, I think the problem may be on the client side of things. It doesn't matter what your server is set at but what your client is outputting to/with what settings. Are you using the P4's mainboard video? If so, I am not sure if integraded video will cut it-but someone else will have to confirm that. Disable 3d and use overlay. You might need to just get a new video card though.
JUC

edit: if you can post the specs of your client that would be usefull too!
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 08-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Sage User

No the P4 has a Geforce 2Ti. So it'll do fine. Im using the server's onboard video. That should be sufficient, correct? Do you think that VMR9 or whatever is it would be good? Or should i be using the default video overlay?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Administrator

You should also try choosing a better recording quality setting - go to Setup -> Detailed Setup -> Multimedia -> Recording Quality. Try something like "Best", which is around 3GB/hour instead of the default, which I think is around 2GB/hour.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Sage User

So i should change the quality to best and turn 3d accel. off and default overlay on?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:57 AM
SageTVaholic

http://sage-community.org/index.cgi/wiki/Calibration

One note: that page doesn't cover color calibration, only white and black. For color calibration, one thing you can do is

a) calibrate your display by using Avia or Digital Video Essentials DVD played back from Sage; and then
b) pipe in the calibration DVD through your PVR card to calibrate its color controls

The only drawback here is that you would be calibrating the card to your DVD player rather than your cable signal, but it's still a decent place to start.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Sage User

oh snicker-doodle-dandy. I never knew there were settings in the setup wizard that i should have setup! lol! Well does having the tuner setup as a network encoder do anything for playback on a client? And does sharpening the picture help a lot? or a little? Also will changing the quality to best change the quality of live TV?
Old 08-25-2005, 01:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
does having the tuner setup as a network encoder do anything for playback on a client?
It still has the same effect.

Quote:
does sharpening the picture help a lot? or a little?
In most situations, sharpness is the least important setting, but still worth calibrating.

Quote:
will changing the quality to best change the quality of live TV
Yes, because within SageTV, even live TV is actually recorded and then (almost) immediately displayed.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Sage User

alright, thanks!