SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-02-2005, 02:44 PM

delete 'live tv' files automatically?

I had some 'live tv' files recorded to my hard drive as i was flipping channels. Is there a way I can set it so that it deletes that 'live tv buffer' file when I change the channel, like my ReplayTV does?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:50 PM

IR off?

I think I figured it out... I need to turn off "intelligent recording". I thought IR was for recording shows that I might like...
Old 09-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Administrator

That is what IR does, but it also has the effect of leaving partial recordings around until space is needed -- they still get deleted; just not as soon as the show is over. One of the appendices near the end of the PDF manual explains it in more detail.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:23 AM
SageTVaholic

see my delete partials plugin... Displays and deletes partial recordings (live TV files normally) (needs my dynamic menu to be able to launch it)
Old 12-04-2005, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderx
I think I figured it out... I need to turn off "intelligent recording". I thought IR was for recording shows that I might like...
I have IR disabled and it's still recording chunks of whatever show I watch. It's frustrating because it eats up hard drive space like mad. I know they auto delete when SageTV needs more space, but what about other programs that may be using the same drive...
Old 12-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

That's one of the reasons that you can set the Diskspace Rules for the Video Directories. You can specify exactly how much space sage can use. The rest would then be for your other programs.

See "Detailed Setup/General/Video Recording Directories" in the Setup Menu

-Steve
Old 12-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Sage Expert

You could set up a vbscript in windows scheduler as well... If you know that a half-hour show is 1.4 gig (or whatever size), you could have the script get a directory listing and delete files that are less than 1 gig in size (or somewhere smaller than any arbitrary limit you put on it), and more than an hour old...
Old 12-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Seems dangerous to do this outside of sage. What does Sage do when its files disappear from underneath it?

-MrD
Old 12-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD
What does Sage do when its files disappear from underneath it?
It thinks that something is seriously wrong and reformats your hard drive. Um... wait, that isn't what happens. It eventually figures out that the files have been removed & gets rid of the link to the files in the database.

Edit: If you check out p. 228 in the v4 manual, you'll see a section about how live TV recordings are normally removed soon after the show is over when IR is off.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.