SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 09-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to Ceger
SageTV 3 Feature Request - Reminder Timer

On Adelphia DVR box it had a cool feature. If you went to a showing in the future, you could choose to either record it or seta reminder for when the show was on. So let's say something was on at 9PM you wanted to watch, the reminder would simply popup 1 minute before and again on the dot to ask if you wanted to tune to that channel immediately. You would just press OK to go to that channel.

How about that feature for V3?

Ceger
Old 09-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceger
On Adelphia DVR box it had a cool feature. If you went to a showing in the future, you could choose to either record it or seta reminder for when the show was on. So let's say something was on at 9PM you wanted to watch, the reminder would simply popup 1 minute before and again on the dot to ask if you wanted to tune to that channel immediately. You would just press OK to go to that channel.

How about that feature for V3?

Ceger
I hate to sound negative, but why not just record the show? What benefit does having a reminder give you that just recording the show doesnt?
Old 09-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1abrams
I hate to sound negative, but why not just record the show? What benefit does having a reminder give you that just recording the show doesnt?
Its a matter that you might just have the tv on in the background while doing things, but there is a show you want to watch when it comes on, not later. It simply convenience. And while I thought it might not be that big a deal for the reasons you brought up, I find it to be something I resally miss and is actually an excellent feature of the Adelphia DVR.

Simply put, we want Sage to be the best with the best user features. This is one of them.

Ceger
Old 09-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

I like this idea. It something that would be easy to do. Sometimes you do want to watch something live, for example, a basketball game.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz5
I like this idea. It something that would be easy to do. Sometimes you do want to watch something live, for example, a basketball game.
Exactly!

Great PVR software should be about convenience and user experience. Just simply recording everything as an answer is simply "brute force" and not an applicable user answer.

Ceger
Old 09-12-2005, 09:56 AM
SageTVaholic

FWIW,

Everything in Sage is a recording, LiveTV, Favorites, Manuals, everything. The only difference is how they are flagged, and in turn, how they get deleted.

So, for example, if there were a reminder, what would happen is it would pop up a window asking if it can change the channel, then if you say yes, would change the channel and record the show. The show would (presumeably) be marked as Live (or basically not marked as Favorite/Manual).

The way it works today, you would set a Manual Recording, then at the appointed time, Sage would ask to change channels, and if you say yes, it will change the channel and record the show. It will be marked as a Manual Record.

Basically the only difference between what you're asking for, and what's there now, is how the reminded show is flagged.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
FWIW,

Everything in Sage is a recording, LiveTV, Favorites, Manuals, everything. The only difference is how they are flagged, and in turn, how they get deleted.

So, for example, if there were a reminder, what would happen is it would pop up a window asking if it can change the channel, then if you say yes, would change the channel and record the show. The show would (presumeably) be marked as Live (or basically not marked as Favorite/Manual).

The way it works today, you would set a Manual Recording, then at the appointed time, Sage would ask to change channels, and if you say yes, it will change the channel and record the show. It will be marked as a Manual Record.

Basically the only difference between what you're asking for, and what's there now, is how the reminded show is flagged.
It wouldn't ask to change the channel if you have multiple tuners. Thus why a reminder timer would be perfect.

Ceger
Old 09-14-2005, 03:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

I did use reminders myself on my cable box, but I have to agree with the others that this is not a feature I would use -- I use my PVR to free myself from having to watch TV shows when they are on, and if there's something so special on that I just have to watch it right then, then I wait 20 minutes and then start so I can skip the commercials (or better yet, wait til comskip does it for me).

but having said that, you don't have to use your PVR like I use mine so here's hoping you find a way to get what you want.

(and I'm going to post my own feature request too so feel free to pop in and comment there )

Cory
Old 09-14-2005, 05:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

I will be very happy if someone will add the reminder. I miss it very much.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Sage Icon

I believe my STV has this feature. The link is in my sig. Any developer is free to use that if they want.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Sage Expert

I think this is a good idea.

Some of us are "PVR-CARD challenged" and can't record the show(s) AND watch it both.

I watch ROCKSTAR, BB6 and record them both simultaniously, HOWEVER, I want to see TOMMY LEE GOES TO COLLEGE, but due to my lack of a third PVR-card, I can't. A reminder that pops up while I'm off paying bills, or doing something would be nice so I can switch from SAGE to the actual cable, even if just for one show.

The last few weeks, I find myself MISSING shows because of this scenario. I can't afford a PVR-500 at the momoment. ( A better solution! )