SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Fast Forward Freeze??

Does this happen to anyone else? Occasionally when I hit the fast forward (either the 2.5 min or the 10 second) the play back will freeze. As if I hit the pause button. But the only way to get it to unfreeze is to hit the fast forward or rewind button again.

It's like it gets tripped up on a frame or something and halts.

It doesnt happen all the time, Id say 25% of the time. It happens with default Sage, with the STV Im using, and with or without ComSkip.

Very odd, I have nVidia decoder... that could be it... Just wanted to throw this out to see if anyone else sees this.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Sage Expert

I only use neilm's fast forward/rewind import, but I've noticed since going to version 3.0.7 I get pauses occasionally and it'll halt for a few seconds and when it starts back up again it's waaay past where I wanted it to be. It's like the fast forward or rewind keeps going but the rendering stops.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Sage Expert

I've seen very similar symptoms on my system as judoGTI stated (I'm using nVidia PureVideo decoders). You jump forward or backward, and for me, the sound starts up, but the picture does not update. After a few seconds, it stops all together (sound stops too) until I jump forward/backward again.

Seems to happen less now than the previous version of the nVidia decoders, but still is there.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have a feeling this is just something that we have to deal with using 3rd party software in this manner. I just wonder what causes it. Is there anyway to debug or create a log file for what is happening is Sage? So we can take a look at the precise moment it freezes?
Old 09-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by judoGTI
Does this happen to anyone else? Occasionally when I hit the fast forward (either the 2.5 min or the 10 second) the play back will freeze. As if I hit the pause button. But the only way to get it to unfreeze is to hit the fast forward or rewind button again.

It doesnt happen all the time, Id say 25% of the time. It happens with default Sage, with the STV Im using, and with or without ComSkip.

Very odd, I have nVidia decoder... that could be it... Just wanted to throw this out to see if anyone else sees this.

Thanks!
I had the same problem using an ATI AIW8500 with its included Ravisent decoder(which had excellent PQ, I might add) running Sage 2.0.28 Server version. The lockups I had could lock the entire GUI and I had to restart the entire server.I've recently moved my server into my basement and I'm using a client with an Nvidia card and Sage client v2.0.28.

My FF lockups are gone. In fact, none of my other clients EVER had a FF lockup problem. However, I think that Nvidia and the Purevideo decoder has worst PQ. I'm switching to an ATI.

Try testing against a Sage client.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have this one -- I would say it happens for me maybe 1% of the time, not 25%. NVidia decoders on ATI Catalyst. I have had this problem for a long time....
Old 09-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Interesting, I have an ATI too. Probably just a bad combo.

Where can I find this Ravisent decoder? Ill give it a shot.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Interesting, I have an ATI too. Probably just a bad combo.

Where can I find this Ravisent decoder? Ill give it a shot.
If you have an ATI8500 AIW, it comes with the CD. This is a pretty old decoder, but worked well with and was optimized for the ATI at the time.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Quote:

Thanks!

I've experienced this problem ever since I used sagetv.. from 2.0 and onwards but never bothered to complain... but it would be nice if there was an explanation or fix.
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 09-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

I got aholdof an ATI Installation CD and used it to validate the download of the latest ATI DVD decoder (Cyberlink optimized for ATI). I have to say the picture looks nice, but it too has a weird ff issue -- just like Kanati describes, the ff pauses for a few seconds and then goes waaay past the expected spot. I switched back to NVidia decoders.

Maybe it's the recorded file that has something goofy? Here's my specs:

p3/866 w/ 512mb ram on i815 chipset
ati radeon 9600
decoder du jour (vmr9) -- usually nvidia
pvr-250 v23070

Maybe we can find the common denominator?
Old 09-29-2005, 05:15 AM
Sage Icon

I 've had this issue with the Sonic Drivers as well......

Switched to Intervideo decoder (the one that comes with WinDVD not the version that comes with the hauppauge cards) and I don't remember getting it ever.......
Old 09-29-2005, 07:42 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry
I've seen very similar symptoms on my system as judoGTI stated (I'm using nVidia PureVideo decoders). You jump forward or backward, and for me, the sound starts up, but the picture does not update. After a few seconds, it stops all together (sound stops too) until I jump forward/backward again.

Seems to happen less now than the previous version of the nVidia decoders, but still is there.
FWIW, that happened to me as well. Come to find out, the codec trial had expired (so much for a warning)
Old 05-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

I had a problem with the brightness flashing when watching some recordings in 1080i. I have a ATI 4670 with CyberLink video\SP Decoder. When I changed to Sage TV MPEG Decoder the flashing went away but now I have the problem you are describing. When I also changed from they Cyberlink audio renderer to Realtek HD audio renderer the freezing problem went away. Why would changing the audio renderer effect the video?

Last edited by Paul H; 05-08-2010 at 10:09 AM.