SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Netgear XE102 Powerline Adapter

Reviews I've read about this specific product say that the throughput is rated for 14k/s, but actually receives anywhere from 3.5k/s to 4.5k/s. I really only need this to work for 1 network connection to my MVP. I have a very large house, lots of walls, and would like to get the MVP connected downstairs. Is this enough throughput to get it to work? What is the minimum needed, if XE102 isn't good enough, because there are other powerline products that are faster, but costlier. Wiring is EXTREMELY tough to this one (main) TV.

This product lists at $60/ea, and you need two to connect, but CompUSA currently has MIRs for $60, making it "free" (post taxes + mail). Don't want to waste the money if it isn't fast enough, though.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Sage User

Why not do wireless? How far is the link? A few WNIC's should work fine if the distance is short and there aren't many walls. What about grabbing a few old Adtrans or Ciscos(OLD) and setup an E1 connection over your phone wire to that location(this is what I did for a while)
Old 09-20-2005, 12:48 PM
SageTVaholic

14 kilobits per second? That's not even close to enough throughput.

14 KiloBytes per second? Still not even close.

Required throughput depends on your quality settings, but you're looking for something in the megabits per second range. I'd think that anything under 4 megabits per second is not going to make you happy.

Wireless ethernet is probably the way to go.

EDIT: I had my numbers royally fouled up before.

Last edited by salsbst; 09-20-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Sage Expert

HPNE 1.0 spec, which those boxes adhere to is a maximum framerate of 14mbs. Goodput? Yeah, maybe around 3-4mbs if you're lucky. You stand a better chance of betting an HPNA system to transport your stream vice an 11b setup. But no dice I'm certain; at least I couldn't get my powerline LAN to handle it; YMMV

On a side note, powerline is a nice LAN to have for light filesharing and for general web browsing/inet gaming. Beats the crap out of Wifi; just because Wifi has to content with spectrum management 'issue'
Old 09-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Any other suggestions?

@polarhyte:
You must have missed the line, "I have a very large house, lots of walls...". It's almost 6000 sq ft, the server is in the office (upstairs), and the family room is on the opposite side of the house. Wiring the house is the best solution, but virtually impossible getting things outside of my office easily. My phone line has so much stuff on it as it is (I have a gate controlled by it, and all sorts of phone tech), that E1 is unlikely.

@salsbst:
Yeah, 14m/s. Typed fast w/out proofing it. That 4m/s expectation is exactly what has made this a 50-50 gamble as it is, but betting against it (so far).

@dagar:
Powerline didn't seem like a good idea, but figured I'd ask since wiring would be SO inconvenient. All b/w activities done wired on the server, and only MVP (video) on the remote machine(s).

As for wireless, I have a 'b' network in the house currently, and it gets horrific sporadic reception (if any) in that family room. I'd assume 'g' is slightly better in quality and (pre-)'n' is long term great, but haven't wanted to take the plunge if distances/walls are really a problem.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Sage User

my other .02c....

Get some cable pulled. I know that sounds gruesome, but it can be done for probably about 100-150. Sure you can buy this powerline unit, but realistically how long is it going to be before you modify your configuration, or decide that the powerline config isnt working well enough. Wireless is the same way. I would call around to the local telecom places and electricians and see what they can do. I work for a local telecom(business) and I occasionally take residential jobs. It's always worse than it looks, but nothing's impossible
Old 09-20-2005, 05:13 PM
Sage Expert

The HPNE 2.0 spec is higher throughput but I don't have a handle on what it's current status is.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

i've got a friend with a big house... wants two clients... anyone have actual experience with this?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi Dekard,

I wouldn't recommend the one this thread is talking about. I've heard frequent complaints that is doesn't work for video.

You might want to consider the newer version HERE which is specifically designed for HD tv streaming.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 07-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan
Hi Dekard,

I wouldn't recommend the one this thread is talking about. I've heard frequent complaints that is doesn't work for video.

You might want to consider the newer version HERE which is specifically designed for HD tv streaming.

-PGPfan
bad link... mind trying again, PGP?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Link works fine for me.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Link works fine for me.
Not Found

The requested URL /products/BridgesAccessPointsandExtenders/PowerlineWallPluggedExtenders/HDX101.phpx was not found on this server.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Sage Fanatic

Interesting, I just went there again myself with no trouble (latest Firefox). Regardless, try http://www.netgear.com/Products/Brid...rs/HDX101.aspx
and see what happens.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 07-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

dunno why the links aren't working.. anyway, i located the thing on Netgear's website... nice product, if it works as advertised... Any one know of 3rd tests or review of it yet? Also, aren't they a little pricey?
Old 07-29-2006, 06:24 AM
Sage Icon

There is one review over on AVS, google for it. He was getting 40-50Mb/s over 100year old wiring, if I remember correctly.

BTW the links did not work for me in IE7.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Sage Expert

Couple of reviews I found mentioned the Develo gear being better:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2259
Old 07-29-2006, 06:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

A brief summary of the review on AVS:

How do they work? Very well it seems. I have watched about 4 hours of HD content, mostly 1080i TS's, and not a single dropped frame or stutter. Once set-up the throughput seems fairly consistent. Transferring large files through AFP shows between 6.5 and 7.5MB/s. It is far more stable and less prone to interference than wireless. I had read that powerline based products tended to be susceptible to appliances that put out interference on the building's wiring but I played around with putting dishwashers, microwaves and a washer and dryer to see if it interfered with the network and it was rock-solid. The downside is that Netgear recommends running the adapters only on a wall socket. Powerstrips, especially ones with conditioners, can filter out the signal and degrade performance. I can confirm this to be true on the ones I tried. If you like to protect you components and provide conditioning you will have to send the ethernet cables through your surge suppressor/conditioner provided it has ethernet ports.

So far I am pretty happy with the product. They finally allow me to consistently stream HD to my mini and I already feel like the Netgear Adapters are making it more useful. Another nice thing is future expandability. You want to network that iMac in the kitchen? Just buy another adapter, they come in a kit of two or singles.

PROS: Easy to install
Good Speed
Consistent connection
Easily expandable
Every room has power outlets
Secure

CONS: Price
Dependent on home wiring condition
Possibly exposes rest of system to electrical spike
No Mac software

-PGPfan
Old 07-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

thats a pretty good summary.. I'm a bit concerned about the price.. $250 for a pair seems a bit high to me.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Sage Fanatic

No doubt they are pricey. But, as with all technology they will come down the longer they are on the market.

Still, for those with troublesome wireless installs (and there do seem to be a fair amount of them) this might be the cheapest, least painful way to get that MVP or client up and running they way they should be.

-PGPfan