SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Sage User

Will the PC be adequate for SageTV?

Please check out this link to an inexpensive (but not underpowered) pc from Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1125464966305

I need the PC to be used as a regular PC (for common daily tasks), AND also replace the Tivo that is in the room. (and stop monthly fees) So SageTV must be output on a regular TV.

Here are my concerns: The specs on the pc say "No S-Video Out". I need S-Video Out, don't i, if i want output on a tv? I'm guessing there is no S-Video because the video card is basic and built-in to the motherboard.

Fix: buy a Video Card that supports S-Video Out. Am i correct?

Another concern: If the output (video) is pumped to the TV with S-Video Out, what if she needs to actually use the PC? Is this where the "Dual Monitor" thing comes into play? If so, is this called "DVI" when i shop for a Video Card?

So if i'm correct, all i'd need to get is a monitor and Video Card that supports Dual Monitors and S-Video out (TV Out).

Oh, one more thing: The TV that i'd use is kind of old, but functioning well. It does not have an S-video connector. But the VCR does. I'm assuming i can use the S-Video from the vcr. Correct?

I'm not very technical w/ things like this, so please, any advice, corrections, ect would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
John
Old 09-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Sage User

Anybody?

I'd like to know before i go shopping after work. If no response i'll not get the pc and i'll go w/ plan 2...

Thanks for the help/advice!

John
Old 09-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Sage Icon

well, the system appears to be fine. You would definately need a video card that supports dual video outs---something really don't know much about. Most of the newer cards out there do it so it shouldn't be a problem. I would recommend the ATI 9600XT--still a good card and you can get it pretty cheap these days and it will do what you want it to.

I am in the same boat as you in terms of my TV haaving no s-video. You can use the vcr or you can get a converter at ratshack. The quality, even though you are going from s-video to coaxial, is still quite good on a SDTV if you use the right decoders and have a decent video card.
That's about all I can think of now. HOpe this helps,
JUC

edit: BTW--not sure if you realize this but you will also need to get some sort of tv capture card--one that is supported by sage. Some come with remotes and some don't. You also need to think about how you are going to change the channels if you have a set top box (cable, satellite). If your cable just plugs into your TV--then it won't be a problem changing channels, but if it plugs into a set top box--then you will either need to get a blaster or some sorts or use a serial cable to control the box.....just more things to consider.
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC

Last edited by JUC; 09-27-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Sage Icon

Sorry, I thought I responded to this yesterday.

I looked at the link and it looked like it could be used as a decent Sage box. Enough CPU for a couple years, and had a decent amount of RAM, could always use more later. It had 3 PCI slots, 2 available and also had an open AGP slot. Put in a good video card and disable the onboard video. Search the board for suggestions on good video cards that let you run dual displays without running into directx limitations.

With 2 available PCI slots, you could pop in a couple tuner cards. And depending on what is already installed in the 1st PCI slot, you maybe able to remove that and reused that slot also. However, on some motherboards, with an AGP card in, you lose the first PCI slot due to crowding issues. So, see if the salesperson will let you pop the cover and take a look inside.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:02 PM
Sage User

Thanks JUC and Ke6gui! Just in time. Looks like i'll go ahead and do this today... or maybe i'll wait for xmas. Hmmm...

John
Old 09-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Is the TV really, really old (just coax input) or only really old (composite video input)? If the latter, there's another possibility: Buy that PC as a Sage server, and get a MediaMVP for a Sage Client to run the TV.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:49 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Is the TV really, really old (just coax input) or only really old (composite video input)? If the latter, there's another possibility: Buy that PC as a Sage server, and get a MediaMVP for a Sage Client to run the TV.
I think it only has one input... for the cable (coax). TV's probably from around 1995.

John
Old 09-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I think it only has one input... for the cable (coax). TV's probably from around 1995.
S-Vid imputs would be best, thats what I use on my TV. You could go in through a VCR or something similar into the TV through the coax, you will lose a little quality that but it will still work.