SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Sage User

Exclamation Cannot delete watched shows

Do any of you experience the inability to delete watched shows?
In order to deleted watched shows, I need to restart SageTV.

Kind of strange, but after upgrading to the latest beta version of SageTV, after I watch a show and select Delete the show is not deleted. I need to quit SageTV and restart it in order to delete shows. Since I use Sage exclusively with the remote control, it is quite painful to operate now.

Any such experience on your end?
Old 10-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Sage Icon

are you using the standard stv or a custom one?
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 10-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Sage User

I downloaded the standard September 22, 2005 - Version 3.0.11 PR11 SageTV. I installed it over my 2.x version to upgraded.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:25 AM
Sage Expert

My wife recently complained about this as well. She had deleted an Oprah show and said that when she returned to look at the list of recordings, it would be back.

By the time I took a look at it and deleted the show, it worked fine. Ofcourse, this peeved her a bit.

I wrote it off to ShowAnalyzer having the file in use but not really sure and have only had the one incident reported to me by the fam.

DFA
Old 10-13-2005, 07:08 AM
Sage Icon

I have had this problem when I had SA running and it had hung. This did not allow Sage to delete the file. I even tried to delete it in the explorer window and it reported that the system would not allow it to be delelted because another process was accessing it.

You running anything similar? SA, comskip, encoding?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerio
Do any of you experience the inability to delete watched shows?
In order to deleted watched shows, I need to restart SageTV.

Kind of strange, but after upgrading to the latest beta version of SageTV, after I watch a show and select Delete the show is not deleted. I need to quit SageTV and restart it in order to delete shows. Since I use Sage exclusively with the remote control, it is quite painful to operate now.

Any such experience on your end?
I have seen that a few times since using the SageTV Beta's. For me it has always been a single show exhibiting the inability to delete. All other shows in the listings could be deleted.
Shutting down Sage and restarting always allowed me to delete the file.

Since I"m not using any kind of post processing (SA, Comskip, etc) and just using the plain vanilla stock STV my WAG (wild a## guess) would have to be a file handle not being released and/or the file not getting closed properly by Sage after a recording is done.

I haven't seen any rhyme or reason for which programs/channels/tuners doing the recording exhibit the problem. It's happened maybe once every couple weeks or so at random times.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Sage User

I do not have any post-processing apps either, just the plain vanilla SageTV.

In my case it seems to happen with every show that you play.

I sent a bug report in to Sage Tech and they replied asking for the SageTV log, which I promptly provided. Hopefully they will be able to solve this in the next Beta.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Sage User

Went back and forth with support and they can't seem to find a solution to this. I am surprised that this problem has not been reported by others, since I would have to imagine it would affect all.

In my case I narrowed it down to palying back a file. Once SageTV opens it it will not release it for deletion (not even in Windows Explorer) and analyzing the processes shows that SageTV.exe has a file handle open to it.

I hope they find a solution otherwise it becomes a pain to use v3. Version 2.x did not have this problem.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:16 AM
SageTVaholic

where exactly are you selecting delete -- please list the screen/steps you use?
Old 10-18-2005, 01:26 AM
Sage User

My steps are quite straight forward. I am now using the latest version of Sage, which changes the screens slightly.

Basically:
1) I play a pre-recorded show
2) At the end of the show (or sooner than the end actually, you do not have to wait until the end of the show) a menu pops-up asking if I want to delete the show (I selected this option in the setup, however either way it does not work) and I choose Yes to delete.
3) The show is not deleted.
4) I click over the show name and a menu pops-up (in the latest Beta this new menu contains quite a few choices) where I select Delete.
5) The show is not deleted.

I have two PVR-350 tuners in the box (not using their Out) and I went as far as playing LiveTV from both tuners (one channel from the main Sage and another channel from SageClient) thinking this may release the file handle, not to avail. The only way to release the file handle seems to be to shutdown Sage and then restart it.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Sage

If you run SageTVClient from another machine on your network; do you still have the file deletion problem?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've run into thi sproblem as well just this past weekend. It doesn't happen often but when it does I have to stop sagetv service and when it's started again it will then delete those shows. I've tried deleting the shows from my 3 mvps as well as my sage client on another machine. I'll be updating to the new RC so i'll see if it happens again.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Sage User

After much tests, I decided to completely uninstall Sage and the Hauppage drivers and install them anew. I did that and restored only the wiz.bin file (not the properties, as to avoid any possible latent problems).

The results is that now SageService is causing problems to the GUI (Graphical User Interface), basically when you run SageTV while Service is running you only get a black screen (the splash screen appears OK but the GUI is black). If I stop/disable SageTVService the GUI is fine and the deletion problem does not seem to exist any longer.

Of course now I can't run SageTVService, which in my case may not be a problem since I use this PC exclusively as a DVR and SageTV is always on. Am I correct in assuming that I do not need SageTVService?

Before going through all this, I tested recording and playing back a show only from SageTVClient and I was able to delete it from there. So the original problem seems to be in the SageTV itself not the client, maybe it has to do with Service?

What do you think guys?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Is an old sageclient.properties and/or its autobackup stil llaying around? if so, get rid of that & restart the UI, since that is the properties file the UI uses when in service mode.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Sage User

Thanks for that. Even though the install directory is completely new (I deleted the old one) and the only file I moved over there was wiz.bin, it seems that deleting the SageClient properties (which I must assume came from the installation package) solved the GUI issue.

Having the service running seems to slow down the UI a bit though. In any case I am running a few tests now to see if my original deletion problem is now back since I am running Service.

I will report my findings.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Sage User

Here is my latest finding: It is definitely SageTVService that creates this problem. If Service is running you cannot delete a file after you played it, if Service is not running then you can delete it fine. In addition Service seems to slow down a bit the UI.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Administrator

I realize I'm coming late to this, so you may already have done this, but have you double checked the permissions for the service? Are you having it log in as a user so it can access network paths? It sounds like perhaps the service's user isn't being allowed to delete files.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Just wanted to chime in that I always ran Sage service all thru beta 3 including the latest had never had this problem. Using both the original stv and mlbdude SageMCE.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Just a thought, I don't know if this is relevant, but I cannot delete a recording (in v2) if either:

a) I have yet to play another recording after having viewed it; or
b) I have been watching the recording in a different instance of sage client and left it on 'pause' or not played another recording in that instance of sage client.

So, you might want to try beginning to play another recording and *then* try deleting the recording that you intend to delete.

FYI, this is with Maldude2.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerio
Went back and forth with support and they can't seem to find a solution to this. I am surprised that this problem has not been reported by others, since I would have to imagine it would affect all.

In my case I narrowed it down to palying back a file. Once SageTV opens it it will not release it for deletion (not even in Windows Explorer) and analyzing the processes shows that SageTV.exe has a file handle open to it.

I hope they find a solution otherwise it becomes a pain to use v3. Version 2.x did not have this problem.
Valerio,

A few messages back I replied to you that I'd seen this a couple times in the past and it happened to me again the other day.

My problem may not be the exact same one you're seeing since for me it only happens rarely and only for single files. It doesn't matter if I've viewed the file or not (although I usually mark a file as watched before deleting)

I'm running the stock STV, and no Service mode. Running Sage and SageClient (MVP) on the same machine.
Shutting down and restarting both Sage and SageClient still wouldn't allow me to delete that one file. I have the video directories shared so I can access the files from my other machines in the house. Not sure why/how, but even though I hadn't accessed the file that wouldn't delete from any other machine, I had to shut down one of my other machines to get the file to be "released". Once I shut down the other machine I could delete the file.

Is it possible you have those directories shared on your network with another machine? If so, try shutting down the other machine and see if you can delete then. (a longshot admitedly)