SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Continuing TS audio playback problems

I am continuing to have audio playback problems with the version 3 betas. I have/will continue to submit bug reports when new issues arise. Basically, sometimes (more often then not) when a file is recorded or played back (nearly) live there is no audio in Sage. The audio does exist in the file since Cyberlink can play it back. This is nothing new. What I realized tonight was that the problems only happen with 2 channels (CBS and TBS in Atlanta). I do not know if this will give anyone insight into how to fix the problem but at least the Sage team may be able use this information to help sort out the problems for everyone. If you see a simple solution, let me know.

Lain
Old 10-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Is it a low volume problem with those channels? or a no audio issue-
I have issues with HD recordings vs SD- in terms of volume. HD recording volumes invariably end up being a lot lower than comparable SD- which is very evident while swithching from one show to another.
If its only two channels- I'd check those recordings again for volume in original recordings.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

I do not think that is the problem. If I am watching live, I can switch away from the channell and then back. Often that will solve the audio problem and the levels will be normal. Also, these files (which have no sound in Sage), playback fine in PowerDVD w/ normal audio levels.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

New version RC2. Same problem. Already submitted bug report. Am I alone with this issue? I posted in the main RC2 thread but got no response. I am getting concerned that this may never be fixed.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

naln,

anything that uses AC3 (DD) sound will probably be quieter than regular SD channels, it's just the way they are set up, it happens on my stb direct to the reciever when i go from NBC to HBO, DD kicks in and the volume is lower, i don't think it's a bug of any sort
Old 10-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Naylia,

I realize you were specifically addressing naln about low volume on AC3 encoded tracks. I have seen this. With my problem is not low volume. I do not know how to put this any more plainly - The audio is simply not being decoded by Sage. If (on rare accasions) Sage does decode the track from a CBS show then the volume is normal
Old 10-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Sage Fanatic

offer to submit sample files to the devs to play with, maybe they can figure it out, if you can post a 30 second clip on a website or ftp and send them the link it may make it easier for them to debug
Old 10-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

That is a very good idea but I really do not have a website or ftp site to host the file. I have a file right now (tonights "Criminal Minds") that I would love for someone at Sage to look at. Anyone have a site that could host this?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Sage Fanatic

you'll want to make a recording that's only about 30 seconds or a minute long (a full lenght show is a couple gigs so that won't work well), that should be all they need, just start a recording let it run and then cancel it and you should be able to go find it in your designated folder and it will only be 20 or 30 megs.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yea, I had planned cut that file up with HDTVtoMPEG2 but I still need a site to host the file and Sage to take an interest in it.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Sage Fanatic

i can help you with that probably, i'll pm you this evening

i would do the start/stop so that you have a pure file and not one that has potentially been modified by other software, that program may convert to PS and it may clean up the 'header' type info which makes it useless for debugging
Old 10-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am having the same exact issues for files created with HDNE. My AC3 audio played FINE before the version 3.x releases.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Stealth1971,

I actually have two turners, and had a problem getting Sage to use both of them. So, I am using your HDNE for the one that is remotely located. I too am experiencing problems with those files as well as the ones created by Sage's native support. The problem is with Sage's playback support not with recording.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

GRRRRR....

Really frustrating - my GAF has went waaaay down.

I was thinking about decoding the AC3 before it gets wrote the file... to whatever format that Sage wants... but why jump through a bunch of hoops IF they plan on fixing it?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Steath,

Ultimately that is the big question. I realize they are busy and this is still a pre-release tease, I mean test , but I have submitted bug reports and gotten no response. Quite frankly, very few people have seem to have complained about it. Do not know why? It may be the whole proverbial squeaky wheel thing. All the more reason to continue to post regulary to keep them aware of it. Ultimately, it may not get fixed. If that is the case then, and I hate to say this, I am kinda glad you have the problem also. You'll be motivated to explore your suggested fix of decoding the AC3 in the file writting process.

Last edited by ldavis; 10-20-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

If you load your own AC3 filter, you can set it to only work on AC3 files and then pump up the gain so it matches the SD levels.

You just need to unregister the AC3 filter that sage installs, and then install your own. I've had better luck with the .070 version than the 1.03? version installed with Sage 3.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

OK - loading my own AC3 filter at least allows me to watch without locking up Sage BUT still NO audio with AC3 tracks??? I can watch the recordings fine in WMP!!!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2005, 02:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, considering I just worked my ass to get a client that is finally powerful enough to play HDTV, its pretty damn disappointing that playback still doesn't work.

Edit: God, I spend 3+ hours trying to make the audio work to no avail, but then all I have to do is go on the forums, trash Sage, and then 5 minutes later it automagically starts working. Never fails.

*puts on 'tool' name tag*

Last edited by evilpenguin; 10-22-2005 at 03:06 PM.