SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

mkanet,

I have downloaded and installed the latest Nvidia decoders on two computers and on both I get a error message "unable to render audio portion of playback". Is there a setting on the audio decoder that I need in order to allow sage to use it?

Lain Davis
Old 10-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavis
Based on my quick look, it seems that I still have some studdering/data loss. It is not really restricted to any particular channel. Much of the time playback is fine but when this does happen it is very annoying since dialog is just lost, and it is hard to follow what is being said.
I'm still getting some stuttering too. Seems like it might be improved a bit over 3.0.13, but still annoying.

Greg
SageTV Client 6.44,Windows XP Pro, MSI K7T Pro, AMD Duron CPU 1 GHz, 512 Mb Ram, , Linksys WMP54GS, ATI 9600SE
Old 10-24-2005, 08:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3577
I installed this update but I am having two problems that I can not figure out.. When I play my music files it will play through my computer speakers but not my tv speakers. What setting do I need to change? And when I watch tv or play a video it will play on my tv just fine, but will not play on my computer screen. My sage screen just stays black. What am I doing wrong? I have the hauppauge 350pvr if this helps. Also on Malores STVs, he has to update the file to work each new release of Sage correct? Thanks,
Chris
Thats how it works with the 350 if you are using it's TV-out and Audio Out. It will only output audio from the TV recordings, nothing else. Meaning no audio files from other types of files, such as MP3s.

As for the black frame, disable Decoder Only in the Detailed Setup / Multimedia, and you should see video on your computer monitor.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:12 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Here's what I did: closed SageTV, moved an existing SageTV recording file to an import dir w/o any changes to the file or filename, restarted SageTV, and the 'imported' recording showed up as an archived recording.
So I guess that answers my question you deftly sidestepped... It's a good idea... just half-baked right now.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

One step forward, two steps back...

3.0.11 - got black screen/no audio when attempting to watch HD.
3.0.13 - black screen problem fixed, all was well.
3.0.14 - black screen problem back again.

Submitted bug report, reverted back to 3.0.13 (working fine).
Old 10-25-2005, 06:03 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
mkanet,

I have downloaded and installed the latest Nvidia decoders on two computers and on both I get a error message "unable to render audio portion of playback". Is there a setting on the audio decoder that I need in order to allow sage to use it?

Lain Davis
I finally bit the bullet and paid for that, and didn't get that message. Have you tried different audio codecs? I'd left mine at a non-Nvidia audio codec (Intervideo).
Old 10-25-2005, 06:09 AM
Sage Expert

Well, for me there are a lot more options for perfectly smooth, or nearly perfect playback. I can use Cyberlink in overlay, VMR9 and VMR9 w/ FSE. And the Nvidia pure video seems to work too.

On the downside, I've had an issue playing some file back after I've watched them. Getting them to start playback is problematic (Rew seems to do it, not play) and FF/REW doesn't work properly, reminiscent of the prior FF/REW issue, but different.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Goodspike,

I have paid for the Nvidia filters. Previously I have used the intervideo software. The only reason that I updated the Nvidia was because an earlier poster said that he had no problems with HD audio the Nvidia filters. I have been able to get playback using the Nvidia video w/ intervideo audio but still have the missing HD audio problem with several channels. I had thought that Sage uses the AC3Filter for HD playback regardless of the audio filter selected in detailed setup. So, it really would not matter what I select. Am I wrong here? I was thinking that the problem stemmed from the inability of the Sage TS splitter to extract the audio portion from certain TS files. Can someone from Sage please give me a short synopsis of the issue?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:30 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Goodspike,

I have paid for the Nvidia filters. Previously I have used the intervideo software. The only reason that I updated the Nvidia was because an earlier poster said that he had no problems with HD audio the Nvidia filters. I have been able to get playback using the Nvidia video w/ intervideo audio but still have the missing HD audio problem with several channels. I had thought that Sage uses the AC3Filter for HD playback regardless of the audio filter selected in detailed setup. So, it really would not matter what I select.?
I was just reporting that I had just bought the Nvidia drivers (I'd posted about thinking about it earlier).

I don't know the answer to your questions, but selecting different audio codecs does make a difference for me, both in audio and video. Some audio codecs (Sage) don't allow any video to play, or it plays very poorly. The AC3Filter plays video fine, but the audio on some channels is messed up (it's either a audio level problem or some audio channels are missing--haven't bothered to figure it out). For me the Intervideo audio seems to work the best, but I haven't tried any Nvidia audio codecs (I'm assuming something comes with Purevideo, but I haven't even checked).
Old 10-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Goodspike,

I just want to be sure what you are saying regarding audio: With HD playback is there a difference when selecting intervideo vs AC3Filter? If that is the case then the selection of filter does make a difference with HD playback. It is not just using AC3Filter. It did not seem to make a difference on earlier versions but I'll try that again.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

stuttering

For all of those still having stuttering problems; I was experiencing serious stuttering with the default Sage video decoders (video and audio were also out of sync), then I remembered I had the Sonic video decoders. I installed them, put Sage to sleep, woke it up and everything is great now. My system just didn't like the default video decoders. If you don't already have the sonic decoders it is something like $10 or $15. I don't remember the site, but if you need when I get home tonight I can add it to this post.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 10-25-2005, 07:20 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Goodspike,

I just want to be sure what you are saying regarding audio: With HD playback is there a difference when selecting intervideo vs AC3Filter? If that is the case then the selection of filter does make a difference with HD playback. It is not just using AC3Filter. It did not seem to make a difference on earlier versions but I'll try that again.
Yes, I couldn't get any kind of playback until I switched from the default audio decoder. Sage would just hang with any video codec. That's part of the reason I let my trial on Nvidia purevideo lapse--it didn't work and I didn't go back to try it again after someone here posted the solution of trying a different audio codec.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:23 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusvball
For all of those still having stuttering problems; I was experiencing serious stuttering with the default Sage video decoders (video and audio were also out of sync), then I remembered I had the Sonic video decoders. I installed them, put Sage to sleep, woke it up and everything is great now. My system just didn't like the default video decoders. If you don't already have the sonic decoders it is something like $10 or $15. I don't remember the site, but if you need when I get home tonight I can add it to this post.
Also, you can install OEM versions of PowerDVD or WinDVD, etc., that you might have hanging around. An OEM version of WinDVD is where I got the audio codec that I use.

What I don't understand (due to lack of any technical knowledge on this subject) is why Sage doesn't show anything available from the Fusion software. They have at least two systems for showing video, and one of them is pretty good with low end machines.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike
Also, you can install OEM versions of PowerDVD or WinDVD, etc., that you might have hanging around. An OEM version of WinDVD is where I got the audio codec that I use.

What I don't understand (due to lack of any technical knowledge on this subject) is why Sage doesn't show anything available from the Fusion software. They have at least two systems for showing video, and one of them is pretty good with low end machines.
It's possible to add the Fusion decoders to the list by finding their full names and adding them to your Sage.properties. However, it's also possible the Fusion decoders will only work with the Fusion software.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:50 PM
Sage Expert

Fusion still isn't officially supported, is it? If so, maybe this issue will change when it is supported.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Has anyone tried using reclock with thier stuttering issues - may not be relevant, but I use reclock as my audio renderer and it smooths my playback no end.

Cheers

Mark
Old 10-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Goodspike,

I have been able to try all of my installed audio filters (Invervideo, Cyberlink, Moonlight, Sage). All of these result in the same absence of audio on specific channels. So in my case the audio filter does not seem to have an effect on the problem.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
Thats how it works with the 350 if you are using it's TV-out and Audio Out. It will only output audio from the TV recordings, nothing else. Meaning no audio files from other types of files, such as MP3s.

As for the black frame, disable Decoder Only in the Detailed Setup / Multimedia, and you should see video on your computer monitor.
Well that kinda blows no MP3s can play thru my tv or Bose Surround sound. Got the video back on the pc tho.. thanks for the info.
Chris
Old 10-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3577
Well that kinda blows no MP3s can play thru my tv or Bose Surround sound. Got the video back on the pc tho.. thanks for the info.
Chris
What I do is run the 350 output into my soundcard line-in..then the sound card output to my tv/soundsystem. This does two things...you can listen to MP3s through your tv/surround sound and you can use the remote to control volume.

You may have to use the "audio delay" setting to match the audio to the video and you also can't use "hardware decode only." It is too bad there is not a way to software decode audio only...then you would still save CPU cycles by not decoding video.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt
What I do is run the 350 output into my soundcard line-in..then the sound card output to my tv/soundsystem. This does two things...you can listen to MP3s through your tv/surround sound and you can use the remote to control volume.

You may have to use the "audio delay" setting to match the audio to the video and you also can't use "hardware decode only." It is too bad there is not a way to software decode audio only...then you would still save CPU cycles by not decoding video.
Do you still use your PC speakers also? My computer is not dedicated just to my Sage and TV and I believe my soundcard has one audio out which would be going to my PC speakers. I will have to check my PC out when I get a chance as I have to disconnect almost everything to get to the back of it.