SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

playing ripped dvd's over media mvp

i'm looking for anyone's opinion on the best approach/configuration for storing a dvd library on my server that is accessable from three media mvp's.

i will also be accessing the dvd library on my living room tv which is run directly from the pc (currently in sdtv land, but will be hdtv in the next few months).

i know dvd_maniac has a huge library encoded in H.264?, but i don't know if this format can be played using the mvp's...
Old 10-30-2005, 04:19 PM
SageTVaholic

And a standard DVD rip can't be played by the MVP's either. MVP's don't support the AC3 encoded audio. You'll need to change the format of the audio to get the MVP to play it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
i know dvd_maniac has a huge library encoded in H.264?, but i don't know if this format can be played using the mvp's...
No it can't. Sage can't even play them on the PC. There are very few STB's that can do it and the MVP is not one of them. I have homemade PC's as clients and have to use an external player to view them.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

that's kind of what i figured. is it possible to rip the audio in both formats without duplicating the entire video file? does the mp3 format eliminate all but a right and left channel of audio?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Sage Expert

Files and Instructions

The following .zip link includes the programs and instructions to go from .VOB files with AC3 to MVP/350 ready MPEGs.

http://z11.zupload.com/download.php?file=getfile&filepath=14665

I got these instructions and program tips from Stranger89....can be found here as noted by RedR:
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/...ht=mvp+dvd+redr

Enjoy!

Last edited by Deadbolt; 10-30-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Sage User

These are great instructions to convert DVD to MPG for the MediaMVP

The conversion worked on the first try.

Thanks to Stranger89 and Deadbolt for supplying this DVD to MPG conversion information. I have spent hours reading at doom9.net and nothing was as easy as these steps.

I am now able to watch my DVD library on the MediaMVP.

::Edit::
For some reason it will not play the same video on the SageTV Server via the 350 TV-out or on SageTV Client. It about caused the computer to crash. I started another thread to discuss this issue here.

Mike

Last edited by TheSuper; 01-09-2006 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Only works on MediaMVP not client or sagetv server
Old 01-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_maniac
No it can't. Sage can't even play them on the PC. There are very few STB's that can do it and the MVP is not one of them. I have homemade PC's as clients and have to use an external player to view them.
What? I was pretty sure that I got sage working for H264 while I was playing with my final cut 5... outputting them to h264 HD and they play fine on the clients... not completely sure -- but was fairly certain this was an option. I dont remember the details -- but I rendered out a small movie about 10 different ways trying to get HD output -- and I thought H264 worked...
Old 01-09-2006, 06:23 PM
SageTVaholic

I think technically Sage doesn't like playing .mp4 files. It's the container that's the problem IIRC.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt
The following .zip link includes the programs and instructions to go from .VOB files with AC3 to MVP/350 ready MPEGs.

http://z11.zupload.com/download.php?file=getfile&filepath=14665

I got these instructions and program tips from Stranger89....can be found here as noted by RedR:
http://forums.freytechnologies.com/...ht=mvp+dvd+redr

Enjoy!

The above link is no longer working. Does anyone have this stuff? or where it can be found?
Old 03-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Sage User

edbmdave

I have the programs that were available on doom9. How would you like them sent to you???
The 4 programs zipped are 1.5meg.

Per my post the encoding only works on the MediaMVP. The SageTV developers are look at options for the non-standard formatting. (My guess, its a flaw in how the file header is formatted.) Hopefully they will keep it from crashing / locking-up SageTV in a future version.

I found that fully re-encoded from mpeg2 to mpeg2 seems to fix the problem. I used a purchased video editing software called studio9. This makes the video playable on SageTV Client and via the pvr350.

Mike

Last edited by TheSuper; 03-12-2006 at 09:50 PM.