SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

USB PVR 2 "No Signal"

I was helping a buddy set up his Sage box. It all worked fine Server & Client, but after a while of watching LIVE TV and changing Channels the screen displays "NO SIGNAL" We can still change channels, but nothing is displayed except No Signal and nothing is recorded (File Size doen't grow)
After a while it seems to kick back in. If he schedules a few recodings and doesn't touch it then it all works fine.
My guess is that his server is too under powered. (its a slow computer PI I think) The cable guy came and the cable is fine, so could a slow PC cause this? Has anyone else seen this pop up? Drivers maybe?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by phantomfsoc; 11-01-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to bionicDan
same problem

I'm having the same problem. Have you found a solution yet?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

Nothing yet. I'm actually going to do an upgrade on my system to see if maybe its just to underpowered. What are the specs of the system you are trying to run it on?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to bionicDan
my specs

My system is running on an 800MHz Via SP8000 with a Hauppauge PVR-350 running XP SP2 with 512MB of RAM...
Old 01-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Sage User

I'm having a very similar problem with a new pvr usb2 I just got. Man, I can't stand Hauppauge. I bought this thing to replace a pvr250 that is going bad. I have rma'd like 3 other pvr-250s so I bought the USB hoping I'd have better luck than with a PC Card.

My system has been so unreliable with more than 1 hauppauge tuner. I have gotten video with no audio, recordings not happening, etc. Cards that go bad and make unwatchable recordings. Now this USB thing is just as unreliable as the PVR-250's, just in yet another way. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. Depends on the weather or something I suppose.

The worst part is whenever these threads are posted, everybody just scratches their head and says "works for me". So for the people that it works for, it works, and for the people it don't work for, there is no solution. Hauppauge support doesn't do anything unless tehre is a hardware failure, no one ever has any answers on these forums.

</end rant>

I think I need to just junk them and get a diamond xpress or avermedia I guess if I can't get this resolved.

I have an hdhomerun now, and that thing has been rock reliable. but I have the analog tuners for cable stuff.

Bob
Old 01-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Sage Icon

I just RMA'd a usb2 I've had for a couple of years. It's been flaky from day one on the order the power and usb connections are made; do it wrong and M$ won't see it. It also would be displaying video about 5min behind live after about an hour of recording w/ WinTV. On top of that, when I reboot the computer the power light on the usb2 would go out. Still worked in Sage, but no light.

I agree with you partly; it H hardware either works out-of-the-box or it's flaky as heck.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Diginerd Send a message via Yahoo to Diginerd
I have both models of the 250 (PCI & UB) and they both work fine.. I did have an intermittent problem some time ago with the USB one, I put it down to it being on an old USB1 port as opposed to a USB2 port on a decent card. It's sat connected to a Piii450Mhz machine..
Old 01-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Sage User

Just FYI - It appears my problem is resolved with my wintv pvr usb2. I did two things, so I don't know which fixed it.

I moved the USB tuner to a different USB port on my server.

I changed the properties of all the USB ROOT HUB entries in device manager and disabled "allow the usb port to be turned off to conserve power" option.

I had the problem consistently before, and now I haven't seen it in several days.

So, I hope that helps someone else.