SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV V4 Service not starting

Upgraded from V2.2.8...
SageTV V4 is not staring as a service on my server. If I start the full sage TV Application the Service starts correctly, and my Sage TV clients can connect to it, but if I use the SageTV Service Contol to start the service separately, it never starts it gets stuck in the starting state in the Administrative Tools Services window. I've tried tried rebooting the server with it configured to automaticly start but it doesn't work.

Got any clues?

-Steve

Last edited by sfisher; 11-02-2005 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Smile

Guess I'll answer my own thread, I uninstalled all Java from Server, then I uninstalled Sage TV. I re-installed Java 1.4.2_10 (was on 1.5.05) then re-installed SageTV V4 in the old Path (Frey Technologies/Sage TV/ which I cleaned out before hand) Set it up clean from scratch and it worked. replaced the sage.properties and wiz.bin files with my originals from 2.2.8 and it failed to start the service at all. using the Sage TV App or as just the service. I then replaced the sage.properties file with the V4 verision that from the new install, and now everything works fine.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Sage Expert

IMHO it is generally best just to use the version of Java that comes with Sage. There's a post floating around in the beta section about the types of issues that can arise, and how to switch versions quickly. I think Opus may have been the author.

Not Opus, but I found it. The 7th post in this thread.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...highlight=java

Last edited by Goodspike; 11-04-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:02 PM
Sage User

Send a message via Yahoo to bbroerman
Problem with SageTV Service for V4

I am having a problem with SageTVServer for 4.0.

The service starts, but neither the SageTV application nor the Clients can connect to it. The previous version (2.2.8) worked perfectly.

Now, I started with an upgrade to 4.0 from 2.2.8. I am running Sun's 1.4.2.10 JVM

I started troubleshooting by removing the firewalls on my computers. No luck
Then, I did a repair install of SageTV 4.0. Still no luck.
Then, I uninstalled 4.0 completely, deleted the Frey Technologies directory, and reinstalled... Still no luck.
Then, I uninstalled and reinstalled both Java and SageTV... no luck...

Finally, giving up, I uninstalled 4.0 and reinstalled 2.2.8, and then overlayed with my backup copy of the program directories... I'm back at 2.2.8 now, and it works perfectly...

Now, I really like the new features in 4.0, and would like to get it running...

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Old 11-30-2005, 10:17 PM
Administrator

You are sure there is no software firewall (built into Windows or 3rd party) that is active? It sounds like a firewall is recognizing the previous version & letting it through, but not the new exe. Was the client able to connect if you ran the server in non-service mode?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:42 AM
Sage User

Send a message via Yahoo to bbroerman
Re: Problem with SageTV Service for V4

I disabled all firewalls (Windows and ZoneAlarm). Also, if I disabled the server, the main SageTV program would work fine... I just couldn't connect any clients.

I am going to try again this next weekend, with the debug tracing turned on, so that I can submit it to the support people.

Thanks
Brad
Old 12-05-2005, 03:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

I always end up creating a user and setting it to the sage service through the windows administrative tools->service settings

Each time I install I try to use the default user or I try to set it with sage service control tool but it never works, even with 4

Gog