SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Sage User

Choppy video with USB1.1?

Hi.

I am running SageTV (2.2.8 I believe) on a laptop top with the following specs, but it is giving me choppy video and sometimes crashes when I am viewing it with the guide and video.

AMD Athlon 1800+(1.5Ghz)
512MB RAM (448 after video)
64MB Shared video ram on ATI Mobility U1 (IGP 320)
WinTV-PVR-USB2 through USB 1.1
5400RPM 40GB HDD

Now, I have tried other apps, like MEedio and BeyondTV and they are stuttering similarly. I set the encoding rate to Fair to keep the bandwidth as low as possible, but it didn't seem to help much.

What I am wondering is will a USB2.0 hub fix this or is it likely the 5400RPM hard drive? And if so, would grabbing a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and an external 7200RPM drive make everything work sexily?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Also of note: Regular video playback works fine even to network folders. Never a hiccup, even when viewing them in conjunction with the guide.

Help? ^_^
Old 11-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Sage Expert

USB 1.1 I think only has 11 mbit total throughput, and that isn't guaranteed. I would be on that being the problem. The 5400 rpm drive certainly doesn't help matters but I think it's probably fast enough.

Try getting yourself a 2.0 PCMCIA card and see if that helps first off... Then if it doesn't, try adding the 7200 rpm external.

The other specs on the laptop seem to be fine though.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Administrator

If the part of the drive used for recordings isn't formatted with 64K cluster sizes, you can easily have stuttering problems for recording and/or playback. I would check that first.

The PVR-USB2 is supposed to work at lower recording rates using USB 1.1, but I would try to stick to USB2 with it.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Sage User

So it needs to be 64k cluster sized? Standard NTFS is 4k, right? Because it is just a normal NTFS format right now.

Why is that the case, if I might ask? Less physical disk processing? Also, when changing it to a 64k cluster size, should I set it off from the Windows drive or will windows still run fine with the 64k size?
Old 11-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Administrator

You can make the whole disk have 64K clusters, but the OS partition doesn't really need it. What many people do is set up a partition just for storing media & use 64K clusters only for that one.

The problem w/4k clusters is that the drive simply cannot keep up with the data throughput requirements -- especially when fragmented, it can't seek to a new location fast enough to keep up with the amount of data that it needs to read and/or write every second. With 64K clusters, it doesn't have to seek nearly as often, so it isn't usually a problem.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Sage User

Thanks. I'll run it through Partition Magic later.

I still plan to get a USB2.0 adapter so that I can later get an external drive. Are there any reported problems going from a USB tuner to a USB HDD? (That's my last question, I promise)
Old 11-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Sage Expert

USB 2.0 has something along the lines of 480MBit of bandwidth. It should be able to handle anything you throw at it in regards to sage.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Sage User

Thanks! Now if time would only speed up so I could get off work to go see if the bigger clusters fix the video issue.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
I am using PVR-USB2 on a 2.0, & good USB info tool

I have a 2.0 USB hub, and a PVR-USB2 device connected to it. It works fine @usb 2.0 rates. I also formatted my hard drive using 64k block size(i have separate drives in Raid array with the 64k block size just for videos) and OS in on IDE drive,

And I do not experience choppy video/audio problems.

I hope upgrading to a 2.0 hub will fix your problem.

PS if you need a good usb troubleshooting tool check this one out. I like it a lot http://lpt.usbfireinfo.com/USB_Info_...o_software.htm

I bought a copy. Since I have sooo much hooked up to the HTPC now.

Last edited by steingra; 11-07-2005 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Sage Expert

Just adding a 2.0 hub will do nothing if the computer is still at 1.1... PCMCIA card with a couple 2.0 connectors will be what he needs.