SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Sage User

SageTV 4 Client Comskip Problem

When upgrading to SageTV 4, I thought it would be a great time to get comskip working on the client machines.

But I can not get the breaks to show up in the OSD. Comskip works fine on the server, just not on the client.

Here is what I have done so far:

My recording directory on the server is "F:\Media". I shared that folder as "Media" and granted my user full control.

My server name is "HTPC" so the full UNC Path is "\\HTPC\Media".

My recording path in SageTV is set to the UNC Path and Comskip works on the server.

On the client, I can go to Start|Run and type in "\\HTPC\Media" and the folder opens and the comskip .txt files are there, and I can double click and open them in notepad. So I do not believe it is a windows permissions problem.

On the client, I've tried both neilm's and malore's import. But can not get either to work on the client.

On neilm's, I don't get the Comskip enable/disable in the popup menu when watching a show, but the Comskip playback option is enabled in the Detail Setup | Customize menu. I get the option on malore's, but the breaks still don't show up in the OSD.

I've tried running the SageTV server as both a Windows service and in normal mode, and I've tried disabling the Windows firewall. No luck.

I've double checked everything I can think of and it all looks right, but I must be missing something.

Both machines are XP SP2 connected by a 100 mbit switch in a DLink router.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-mark
Old 11-07-2005, 07:29 PM
SageTVaholic

The client must see the files at the same location the server does. The following threads should explain it.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...c+path+comskip

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...Client+Comskip

Last edited by blade; 11-07-2005 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the response blade.

I had covered those threads before I posted and I've got the UNC paths right and everything.

I kept checking a recording that I knew was processed and worked on the server, but what I notice now is that comskip is only working on newly recorded shows. Not the ones that were previously recorded and comskipped with version 2.

What might be a factor is that the new setup with comskip produces both a *.txt file and a *.log file. Previous processed shows only have a *.txt file.

Could be a red herring though.

I don't have a lot of carried over shows, so it is not a big deal if the older ones do not skip. As long as the new shows going forward are working, I'm a happy camper.

-mark
Old 11-07-2005, 08:39 PM
SageTVaholic

That's because the client is looking for the files for old recordings at F:\Media. Do a search for 'make all media files local'. It will take some trickery, but you can get Sage to update the path of the old files to the new path ( drive -> UNC). IIRC, you have to change the recording dirs, close Sage (and the service), then in Windows set it up so that the files are available at the UNC path, but not at the drive letter path, and then start sage with "make_all_mediafiles_local=true", and Sage should convert all the paths over.

I would definitely do a search because I'm going off memory here. I'm sure there's an FAQ about it though.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:46 PM
Sage User

That makes perfect sense Stanger89. I didn't think of that, but that is undoubtable what the issue is.

Thanks for the help!

-mark
Old 11-07-2005, 08:52 PM
SageTVaholic

If you look a the detailed recording info, it will show you the path associated with that file. What comskip does is ask Sage for the path to the file, and Sage replies with what you see there.

If you want to get your older recordings working, just check the FAQs, I did it once a while ago.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Sage User

The detail information does indeed point to "F:\Media" for the older shows.

I might try the fix if I can pry the remote away from the wife. The WAF has been pretty high with version 4 so far.

Thanks again for your help stanger89,

-mark

Last edited by mwhite; 11-07-2005 at 09:07 PM.