SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Looking for Word to PDF & HTML conversion tools (for SageTV manual)

I hate to break into the regularly scheduled programming around here, but is there anyone who is knowledgeable about document creation?

The SageTV PDF manual is created from an MS Word 2003 document, using a tool that loads into Word. However, this tool is being discontinued and is not capable of converting the doc file to html format, so I've been trying to find something that can convert to both PDF and HTML, or at least to HTML, while keeping all cross references within the document and allowing the HTML results to be placed into multiple files instead of one large file. Preferably, it would be able to break the document apart by sections rather than simply N pages per html file.

I've been hoping to find something that is below the price range of Adobe FrameMaker.

According to the google search results, it looks like everyone who once owned a computer has created some sort of PDF or HTML conversion tool, or has published a web page showing how to use Word's "Save As Web Page" option. This is making it a bit difficult to narrow things down to tools that are actually useful, or even to sites that list such tools.

If anyone knows of a program I should consider or even a source of information on such programs, please let me know. The ones I've tried so far just don't cut it.

Thanks!

- Andy, returning to googling...
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm pretty sure OpenOffice 2.0 (www.openoffice.org) can save to PDF, and it could maybe even do HTML. It's free, so give it a try.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ooh, ooh, ooh, do I actually get to add value to this awesome forum myself for once? Well, since it appears your focus is on HTML, this is likely a very minor "win."

I like CutePDF Writer for creation of PDF files. Especially the price

http://www.cutepdf.com

Don't know about HTML.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the comments.

I haven't looked into open office, so I'll check through their info.

I already use CutePDF -- but usually only when I just need a simple PDF that has a couple pages. As far as I know, it only works as a printer driver and therefore doesn't keep hyperlinks & so on. it does, however, make fairly small PDFs when I need such small forms for email.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:16 AM
Sage Icon

How about this ... ?? $26.27
  • Create PDF documents from any application that prints
  • Manage specialized content from Microsoft Office
  • Protect documents with passwords and apply restrictions on printing, copying, and alterations
  • View, print, and search Adobe PDF files

Adobe Acrobat Elements 7.0

Comparison Chart

T.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:43 AM
Sage Fanatic

Corel Wordperfect actually has both features built into it, without the need for any external programs for the pdf creation. I've only used them for basic stuff, but it could be worth looking into.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Adobe's web-site has an on-line creation tool
http://createpdf.adobe.com/?v=AHP

(or stump up the $99/yr)
Old 11-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelkenny
I'm pretty sure OpenOffice 2.0 (www.openoffice.org) can save to PDF, and it could maybe even do HTML. It's free, so give it a try.
Hey I like what I see there. I gave it a quick spin and it looks like a great Office replacement for free that can even read/write my existing files. I was about to buy Office for a new notebook I bought, but this should fill the bill.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23
Corel Wordperfect actually has both features built into it, without the need for any external programs for the pdf creation. I've only used them for basic stuff, but it could be worth looking into.
Don't use WordPerfect, it's the devil! I used to do tech support for a research station and half of the people were still stuck on WordPerfect, and let me tell you it caused so many problems... Anyways, you would have to buy it to use it, and it probably costs a small fortune.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Sage Icon

I use OpenOffice DAILY to make PDF files. Works GREAT.

Jason
Old 11-09-2005, 09:34 AM
Sage Fanatic

I'd suggest ignoring michelkenny and giving WordPerfect a try - eh

Only time I've ever had problems with it was when people were locked down at user level on 2k/XP, I'd bet that Opus may be able to get some admin access! It seems to work fairly well for the 300+ users at our state facility. At $89 for the Home Edition it's hardly a small fortune and a free trial is available...
Old 11-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Sage Expert

I've used Broadgun PDF machine for years. Works great and with Office 2k3

It functions as a 'printer'.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Sage Expert

Try picking up a copy of Acrobat Standard version 6. You can get it relatively cheap now that 7 is out... And most of the stuff added in 7 is for scripting your pdf's or form making. Not really advantageous to making documentation anyway.

http://www.softwareoutlet.com/Mercha...Search=acrobat

They have 6 standard for 150 dollars. Of course they also have 7 standard for only 20 dollars more. Guess it depends on what you want to spend.

Then again... you could always buy the academic versions (which I believe are the exact same program with a different EULA) for significantly less...

http://www.studentdiscounts.com/inde...acrobat&Page=1

Acrobat 7 Pro for 140 dollars or standard for 90...
Old 11-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

The main thing that Opus is looking for is a tool that converts a Word doc to HTML and keeps all the links, and is able to seperate each section to individual pages. Most of these tools probably only do PDF.

As for WordPerfect, we were using WordPerfect 2002, so it could just have been that version that was buggy for us. The users would experience crashes and weird things hapenning frequently (but were too stubborn to move to Word), and everyone had admin access. Oh well, you win some you lose some.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Here's the funny thing about Adobe's own products... when I tried full Acrobat, it coudn't even convert my Doc to PDF properly (it missed a LOT of cross references & many others went to the wrong location on a page). That's one reason I went to a 3rd party product in the first place.

I found WordToWeb with a lot of HTML conversion options.

How does WordPerfect handle HTML conversion? Word, for example, just creates a single web page for a document... not too effective if you've seen the SageTV manual.

- Andy