SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Sage User

Recording automatically LIVE tv??

How do I stop Sage from recording everything I watch during Live TV? I read the answer to this but I am new to Sage (have been trying BTV v Sage).

When I tune to LIVE TV it really records everything I am watching?? This drives me nuts.

Can I not control what I record/when with Sage?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2005, 06:34 PM
SageTVaholic

You can't stop it from recording live TV.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Sage User

Thanks

Grrrrowl.

I wonder how BTV gets around this or do they?

Drives me nuts to see that record on the top.

Does this mean I have to delete the file after watching LIVE tv? Or else it is gonna eat up my HDD.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Administrator

There is a PDF manual in your SageTV directory. On p. 20, there is a section for "Watching Live TV" -- part of the Quick Start Guide.

Then, Appendix C, starting on p. 227, covers how SageTV manages the files it creates. Towards the end of that Appendix is a section dealing with live TV files. In short -- they may be deleted soon after the show is over, or will be deleted when space is needed. See the manual for more details.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Sage User

Wow

Thank you very kindly for that specific information. I am in the trial stage so I will have definitely look more into Sage etc and the links provided.

Thanks again.

Your awesome.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201
Short answer, most (maybe all) other PVRs use a circular buffer for LiveTV which is usually reset when channels are changed.

SageTV OTOH, creates individual recordings for each show/channel you encouter while watching LiveTV.

The merits of both have been discussed at length elsewhere on the forum, suffice to say they both have advantages and disadvantages, but IMO, the SageTV way has more benefits than the alternative. The links Andy provided should give you some good info on ways to minimize the obvious (to user) differences of how Sage handles it.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:45 PM
SageTVaholic

the most obvious benefit is that if you are watching 'live TV', and you have to leave but want to record the program, or want to keep it, in Sage you hit REC and the entire program is recorded and kept...

In others, only the part of the program that is after you hit REC is kept...
Old 11-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Sage Expert

The most obvious detriment to it is that it becomes "watched" and if you have intelligent recording on, that makes it think you like whatever it is you just watched. Even if you just forgot to hit stop and let it record CNN all night. From that point on sage will think "MY GAWD THIS GUY LIKES NEWS!!!" and you'll be stuck deleting news programs for the next two months as you try desperately to get sage to realize one mistake didn't mean what it thought it meant.................
Old 11-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201
Grrrrowl.

Drives me nuts to see that record on the top.

Does this mean I have to delete the file after watching LIVE tv? Or else it is gonna eat up my HDD.
Hate to tell you, but BTV 4 does this now. They saw the light!
Old 11-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati
The most obvious detriment to it is that it becomes "watched" and if you have intelligent recording on, that makes it think you like whatever it is you just watched. Even if you just forgot to hit stop and let it record CNN all night. From that point on sage will think "MY GAWD THIS GUY LIKES NEWS!!!" and you'll be stuck deleting news programs for the next two months as you try desperately to get sage to realize one mistake didn't mean what it thought it meant.................
Well, I have IR on and doesn't just pick up every news because I watch the news despite having three(6,11, and 7) as favorites.

I would say that Kanati's dislike of IR is well known, but as someone who's been using it for a while, I can tell you that it works very well. It doesn't just start recording every genre based on even a few watches, not for me anyway.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor
Well, I have IR on and doesn't just pick up every news because I watch the news despite having three(6,11, and 7) as favorites.

I would say that Kanati's dislike of IR is well known, but as someone who's been using it for a while, I can tell you that it works very well. It doesn't just start recording every genre based on even a few watches, not for me anyway.
Setting aggressive_negative_profiling=true definitely helps, and it does take time to train it. The first week or two can be pretty interesting at seeing what it picks.
Also VERY important (IMHO) be very careful of watching live tv (why would you anyway?), especially if you walk away and/or fall asleep and it just keeps recordings away. Suddenly the machine is absolutely sure you LOVE informercials.

I never, ever watch live tv through Sage, if I want to do that I just watch tv without Sage so it doesn't get confused because I watched Fox News for 10 hours, the weather channel for 3 hours, or VH-1 all morning. That's something I might do while I'm on the computer as background noise.

That's why most TV's nowadays have multiple inputs. I've got cable straight from the wall going into my antenna in, DVD player going to my DVI input, and my AV receiver (with MediaReady 5k, 2 ReplayTV's, and VCR) going into my composite input on the TV.
When I want to watch just plain old live TV (or have background noise) I just tune the desired channel on the Tv.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Au contraire mon ami!! Heh... Actually IR is the only thing that kept me with Sage instead of switching to one of "the competition". I just don't like how it functions.

Quote:
Also VERY important (IMHO) be very careful of watching live tv (why would you anyway?), especially if you walk away and/or fall asleep and it just keeps recordings away. Suddenly the machine is absolutely sure you LOVE informercials.
That's what I'm talking about.

Quote:
I never, ever watch live tv through Sage, if I want to do that I just watch tv without Sage so it doesn't get confused because I watched Fox News for 10 hours, the weather channel for 3 hours, or VH-1 all morning. That's something I might do while I'm on the computer as background noise.
Same here. The Dish Network installer couldn't figure out why I wanted two recievers on one television. One is my sage reciever and one is my live tv reciever so sage doesn't freak out and think I really really really like that hair club for men guy's infomercials or that I just absolutely HAVE to have a Ronco food dehydrator...

All of my issues would disappear entirely if sage would just not mark "watched" on the shows it records "live".
Old 11-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Sage Icon

I would really like to see that as an option as well. Would make most everyone a lot happier with IR.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanati
All of my issues would disappear entirely if sage would just not mark "watched" on the shows it records "live".