SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:25 PM
Sage Icon

Printing a "Single" Post on this Forum

I have a (likely dumb) general question ...

Some time ago I used to be able to click the # on the upper right side of any post and it would open up a page with "just" that post.

That was great for printing only one post and not a whole thread or page full of posts. It also was good for dumping to a PDF for later reference.

Anyway at some point after a vBulletin upgrade it seems that when you now click the #, you get the whole thread again??

Is there a way just get one post like I used to??

Thanks, T.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:31 PM

Click on Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
Click on Thread Tools
OK ... that will provide a print preview that minimizes the color ink used, but what I was really after was a link that would just open a window with a single post ... so ... for example if I wanted to print my first post in this thread only, not your response or this one I am typing right now ... Before, clicking #1 at the top of my first post would present only that post ... now it basically opens the whole thread again ...

Thanks though, I didn’t even spot that option ion the thread tools!!!

T.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:21 AM
SageTVaholic

click-drag-Highlight the post you want in your browser,
File->Print...
Click 'Selection'
Old 11-16-2005, 02:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
click-drag-Highlight the post you want in your browser,
File->Print...
Click 'Selection'
Good point ... I've done that before ...Guess that will be a workaround ...

Still curious why single post access went away though ...

Thanks!! T.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
Before, clicking #1 at the top of my first post would present only that post ... now it basically opens the whole thread again ...

T.
Yup, it seems to have changed. An example of the behavior he wants is like this. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440269

then if you click on #2, you get this.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...69&postcount=2.

What I see when I look at the urls is that on rcgroups, the url has a different showpost.php for each link, whereas the sage urls always stay at showthread.php. Maybe it is something in the board code that can be changed easily
Old 11-16-2005, 02:52 AM
SageTVaholic

personally I prefer the 'new' behaviour -- If I want to reference a post in the context of it's thread, I can just copy/paste the link from the #x...
Old 11-16-2005, 03:58 AM
Administrator

For anyone who remembers how the forum used to open a new window w/just that single post when you click on the <#post> link... you've got a good memory. It has been many months since I changed the thread display to use 'showthread' instead of 'showpost'. The only times it wasn't like that recently were when the forum software was updated & I hadn't had time to change the thread viewing template for a few hours, or maybe a couple days. I wasn't sure anyone even noticed the change until now. (I can't remember if it was mentioned in the past.)

Why change it? Many people use that link as the url to reference another post. It drove me crazy that such links would open a new window to just that one post. (And since I have the ability to change it...)

If you absolutely _need_ that single post -- highlighting it & printing the selection (as stated above) works well, or you could click on it, then edit the resulting address to use 'showpost' instead.

Tip of the day: While that post # link makes it easy to reference a post, the vB Code list includes the [thread] and [post] codes to easily reference threads/posts that aren't tied to a base forum address... Notice the difference between these links:

url link: http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=13677
thread link: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13677
named thread link: Studio Information Resources

The first one uses a fixed base address of 'forums.freytechnologies.com', while the 2nd one uses the base address used when someone logs onto the forum. (The first one could open a window at a forum address where the user is not logged in.)

The following text created the above links:

url link: [url]http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13677[/url]
thread link: [thread]13677[/thread]
named thread link: [thread=13677]Studio Information Resources[/thread]

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:16 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
Yup, it seems to have changed. An example of the behavior he wants is like this. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440269

then if you click on #2, you get this.. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...69&postcount=2.

What I see when I look at the urls is that on rcgroups, the url has a different showpost.php for each link, whereas the sage urls always stay at showthread.php. Maybe it is something in the board code that can be changed easily
Exactly!!! You hit the nail on the head ke6guj !!!

Thanks for helping me clarify ...
Old 11-17-2005, 12:32 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
For anyone who remembers how the forum used to open a new window w/just that single post when you click on the <#post> link... you've got a good memory. It has been many months since I changed the thread display to use 'showthread' instead of 'showpost'. The only times it wasn't like that recently were when the forum software was updated & I hadn't had time to change the thread viewing template for a few hours, or maybe a couple days. I wasn't sure anyone even noticed the change until now. (I can't remember if it was mentioned in the past.)

Why change it? Many people use that link as the url to reference another post. It drove me crazy that such links would open a new window to just that one post. (And since I have the ability to change it...)

If you absolutely _need_ that single post -- highlighting it & printing the selection (as stated above) works well, or you could click on it, then edit the resulting address to use 'showpost' instead.
OK, but I still don't see the point of eliminating this option for our use ... Basically, now the # link provides nothing more than a new window of the same exact thread. IMHO, pretty useless. I personally think it's a good idea to let us link to a single post if that is the desire ... To me, more options is better ... And (if I remember correctly), even when someone posted a link to a single post, you could still access the whole thread from it. And if someone wants to highlight / print they can still do that too.

Anyway it was just a question and my thoughts ...

Oh ... and yes, I did pick up on this a while ago ... only decided to ask about it because I really began to miss it.

Thanks for the explanation though ... T.