SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:43 AM
Sage User

Cheapest Client PC Possible

Hi all,

I recently wanted to add a sage TV client for my bedroom. I already have a space case and a video card that can output s-video (Ati Radeon 7000 I think). What I need to know is, what is the cheapest motherboard, processor, and ram I can buy to get a working client together? Thanks!

Naet
Old 11-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Sage User

I should add that I already have a working sage client in my living room and a seperate sageTV server in my office which does all the recording and comskip processing. The videos will (obviously) be streamed through my network but not on a gigabyte or whatever the newest network connection speed is.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Sage Icon

Are you planning on suporting HD streams?

If not I use an NForce3 MB with 256MB of memory and an AMD2800+. I use the integrated video, and network (100Mb). This was plenty of power for a SD client. I'm pretty sure they are quite cheap now.

I had to upgrade to an AGP graphics card to support HD streams. The happauge MVP would work great also for SD and they can be had for < $70.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnaeth
Hi all,

...what is the cheapest... I can buy to get a working client together? Thanks!

Naet
If I simply 'edit' the crud out of your post to what I list above, then why not find an MVP and use it as your client? It is quiet, and unless you need HD output, it offers the same functionality...

-Jason
Old 11-16-2005, 10:25 AM
Sage User

HD will not be supported. It will be hooked up to a SDTV. What is a MVP? Will it support zoomplayer? I intend to stream movies as well.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Sage Icon

There is lots of info on the forum about the MVP. Not sure what it all supports.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

If you happen to live near a Fry's Electronics they regularly run specials on Semprons and ECS motherboards that are usually under $80.00. They also have some of these available at their website which is Outpost.com. MWave.com also offers nicely priced motherboard combos with RAM if you want it and they have a good online purchasing rating.

I am fairly certain that the MVP only works with Sage recordings using the plugin that is available here but it is dead silent and works really well.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:03 PM
SageTVaholic

I agree with everything posted before. If you can look past zoomplayer movies, then i would go MVP. Silent, stable, and about 70 bucks. Does SDTV great. It is what I am using in my living room. Otherwise, I would go w/ a sempron 2500+ or so. Can be had at mwave.come for 55 bucks when purchased with a mobo. SDTV is sooo very basic. See my signature for what I used to use.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 11-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

The MVP does everything Sage Client can do except DVD's and Divx. It works very well with a few tweaks. I just picked up 3 more of them at Radio Shack for $39.00 each. Had to go to 2 different Radio Shacks and hunt for the box since the clerks don't know what they are.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Sage User

I got a Compaq Presario Semapron 3000 desktop (without monitor and speakers) for $100 after rebates from Microcenter. Had to deal with a 30 min. wait to apply for the Microcenter credit card to get the rebate but worth it.

If it's near you, you may want to check out their ads every now and then.

As for the MVP, it's pretty cool. Only drawback is that the right side of the screen is cut off a tiny bit..but still a great bang for the buck, especially if you don't have to buy a wireless bridge+switch.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Sage User

I know people like to build/get high end computers and there's nothing wrong with that , but I took a different route. I got a used Dell 733mhz from my work places surplus store. When they swap in newer hardware they sell off the old stuff. This one came with 128 of ram and onboard sound and graphics. I keep it in the basement and I use it as a sage server for my MVP in the living room but I can watch shows on it and it does great. It can send to the MVP and send another show to its monitor without studder. The best thing is it was only $75. The store now has 1ghz for the same price which is a good deal.

If your're in Connecticut its the Pratt and Whitney/UTC surplus store in East Hartford.