SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

can mediaMVP decode ATSC and output SD?

I have an ATSC-only setup with 3 HD cards in the server box. Currently, I have SageClient working great to stream over 100 Mb/s wired network to client connected to Sammy DLP.

However, it would be great to access my library in my bedroom, which has an old Trinitron XBR tube. I'm not really interested in putting a full pc there, but would like some sort of thin client to output SD.

So, I'm 99% sure the answer is that the MediaMVP can't decode ATSC streams, but then I saw something about transport streams on the hauppauge site, so I wasn't sure. I'm pretty sure that's just a generic usage referring to MPEG-2 streams. I know the MVP can't output HD, but I'm wondering if I can get SD out from ATSC in.

Assuming the answer is no for the MVP, are there any better options besides:

1) Build HD capable client for bedroom with S-Vid out on video card
2) Find some sort of batch transcoding program, so that all my Sage recordings are available in both ATSC and 480i
3) Set up identical NTSC tuners with same favorites, so all of my programs are available as both ATSC and NTSC (this sounds annoying)
4) Look into something like Pinnacle Showcenter, which seems along the same lines as the MVP but can do HD decoding (and output, not that I need that right now).

Ok, sorry for somewhat answering my own question. But I'm really looking for a good way to have the same library available to both HD and SD sets. I know I can't be the only one with this issue...

cheers,
Dave
Old 11-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Sage Icon

I can confirm the MVP does not play ATSC SD files. At least it did not when I tried it a few weeks ago.

Jason