SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Sage User

MVP capability question

I just got Sage 4.0 working and it is beautiful. Since I had all Via mobo's I got an Intel mobo and amazing how well everything works. Here's the question. I have seen that a good number of you are using those Media MVP's to watch stuff in other rooms. Since right now all I really want to watch is the recorded SageTV programs can I do this simply with the MPV. I can't find a post that specifically says that and I would really like to know.

Let me add my compliments to the Frey guys on a really nice job on Sage 4.0, it really is a very, very nice piece of work.

Bob E.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Sage Icon

Bob,

What kind of network do you have, wired or wireless? If it's wireless you're going to get results that may vary depending on a lot of factors like wireless type, signal quality, etc, etc.

If you've got a wired network and are just watching standard defnition Tv it should work fine. I've been using the Media MVP with Matt's MVPClient for a long time and it works quite well. I have a Sage Server with 2 Hauppauge PVR-500's recording at approximately 2gb per hour quality.
I havent' gotten around to setting up commercial skipping (I've really go to get off my lazy butt and do that!) and don't recall if that works on the MVP or not. I just have the remote for the MVP set up with FF/RW set to 3 minutes, and FF2/RW2 set to 30 seconds and 10 seconds respectively so I can quickly bypass commercials manually.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Sage Expert

Thumbs up one more

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyBob
I just got Sage 4.0 working and it is beautiful. Since I had all Via mobo's I got an Intel mobo and amazing how well everything works. Here's the question. I have seen that a good number of you are using those Media MVP's to watch stuff in other rooms. Since right now all I really want to watch is the recorded SageTV programs can I do this simply with the MPV. I can't find a post that specifically says that and I would really like to know.

Let me add my compliments to the Frey guys on a really nice job on Sage 4.0, it really is a very, very nice piece of work.

Bob E.
well, i using 3 Media MVP's with Matt's MVPClient without problems now over wlan with standardDVD quality settings.

cu
dibu
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de
Old 11-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to steingra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBU
well, i using 3 Media MVP's with Matt's MVPClient without problems now over wlan with standardDVD quality settings.

cu
dibu
Do you setup the MAtts MVP Client on the SageTV client or does it have to be setup on the server? Im not sure about that?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyBob

Bob E.
I use 3 MVP's with Matts MVP Client. But to do what you asked.. Just watch recorded Sage shows you don't need Matts client. The software that comes with the MVP will do that just fine. Just setup the software to use the Sage recordings folder for videos. You can also watch Divx stuff with the Standard MVP software where Matts client won't.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDtyF350
I use 3 MVP's with Matts MVP Client. But to do what you asked.. Just watch recorded Sage shows you don't need Matts client. The software that comes with the MVP will do that just fine. Just setup the software to use the Sage recordings folder for videos. You can also watch Divx stuff with the Standard MVP software where Matts client won't.
I will have to look at the feature list of Matts MVP client 1.3.xxx more closely. I need to see what the main differences are.

It sounds like the Standard MVP client might be OK for what I want. Although if its not as good looking or full featured...then I might not use it.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingra
I will have to look at the feature list of Matts MVP client 1.3.xxx more closely. I need to see what the main differences are.

It sounds like the Standard MVP client might be OK for what I want. Although if its not as good looking or full featured...then I might not use it.
The standard MVP software is definitely not as good looking, or feature rich. It does do Divx though. So I guess it all depends what is most important. Nice customizable interface, live tv, basically everything Sage can do with the MVP client.. Or standard software with it's ugly interface with the ability to watch divx and Sage recordings.

Randy
Old 11-25-2005, 03:10 AM
Sage Expert

Server

Quote:
Do you setup the MAtts MVP Client on the SageTV client or does it have to be setup on the server? Im not sure about that?
all runs on my server. 1 sagetv-server, and 3 clients with the MVP-Client from Matt. the server has no monitor and no mouse and no keyboard. i remote my server with mickysoft remote console. the server in online 24/7.

cu
dibu
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
Old 11-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBU
all runs on my server. 1 sagetv-server, and 3 clients with the MVP-Client from Matt. the server has no monitor and no mouse and no keyboard. i remote my server with mickysoft remote console. the server in online 24/7.

cu
dibu
What are the 3 clients? You mean 3 separate pc's? sorry I didnt quite understand what you meant :-O
Old 11-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Sage Icon

He means that one one server, he has the SageTV-server running, along with 3 copies of SageTv-client. On the clients, Matt's MVP-client plugin in running to support the MVP's
Old 11-26-2005, 04:17 AM
Sage Expert

exact

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
He means that one one server, he has the SageTV-server running, along with 3 copies of SageTv-client. On the clients, Matt's MVP-client plugin in running to support the MVP's
that's it
Old 11-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
So how many PC's are being used here. Still not sure I am understanding. Are we talking about 1 main sagetv server pc, 3 clients pc's, and each client pc is running a copy of the sagetv client. And each of the 3 client pc's has the Matt's MVP plugin running?

Old 11-27-2005, 03:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So how many PC's are being used here.
1. -- running a Sage server + 3 Sage Clients...
Old 11-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
1. -- running a Sage server + 3 Sage Clients...
does that mean 4 licenses were purchased and running on the one sagetv server? I seem to remember reading that you can run as many copies of the sagetv client exe on a given pc, so that would mean this configuration only needs 2 licensed copies?

Thanks

Im starting to read up about how to setup MediaMVP to play sagetv content. I bought a few from radio shack at the cheaper price of 39.99..so now I need to put them to use
Old 11-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Sage Icon

Depends.

Yes it will physically LET you run multiple clients on the same machine with only one license. However, that is NOT how the licensing works (at least not based on how *I* read the EULA).

So if you want to be 'legal' it takes a client licesne for each MVP. However, couls you physically make it WORK without those licenses? Yes.

But there is nothing saying that Frey won't change that behavior later to match the INTENT of the licensing... So use the loophole at your own risk, I guess.

Jason
Old 11-27-2005, 06:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJoel
Depends.

Yes it will physically LET you run multiple clients on the same machine with only one license. However, that is NOT how the licensing works (at least not based on how *I* read the EULA).

So if you want to be 'legal' it takes a client licesne for each MVP. However, couls you physically make it WORK without those licenses? Yes.

But there is nothing saying that Frey won't change that behavior later to match the INTENT of the licensing... So use the loophole at your own risk, I guess.

Jason
This has been discussed numerous times on these forums and it is not against the license agreement to run more than 1 copy on the same machine. If it was then I'm sure Opus would put a stop to the discussions pretty quickly.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Sage Icon

Bah, I don't buy that. Yes it has been discussed, but never clarified completely (or officially). The ability to run the client instances was NOT put in the program to skirt or avoid buying actual client licenses.

It most certainly IS against the EULA to use multiple client instances to avoid paying a client license. No doubt in my mind about that. But I own enough client licenses, so I'm not going to worry ab out it (or discuss it) any further.

Will Frey ever care that people are doing it? Dunno, they haven't yet. Maybe they never will. But the way I read the EULA it is a violation.

Jason
Old 11-27-2005, 07:32 PM
SageTVaholic

I guess we can agree to disagree. Sage isn't the first software I've used that allows multiple instances on the same computer, but doesn't allow you to run it on more than 1 computer.

If it doesn't violate the license agreement and the software is capable of doing it then I don't see a problem. If Sage was concerned about it I'm sure they'd make a statement, change the license agreement or modify the software to put a stop to it.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Sage Icon

Ah, but there is the rub. Sure it is running on one PC, but you are clearly using it at different locations (wherever the MVP is located). And I believe that is where the license agreement goes crosswise.

However, like any license agreement, it is difficult to decipher what is exactly legal and what is not. They way I read it, it already says it is forbidden. So I don't think they necessarily need to change anything.

But I will agree 100% that if it were a big deal to Frey they would say or do something about it. So regardless of technicalities of the EULA, it must not be THAT big of a deal to anyone.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
I guess we can agree to disagree. Sage isn't the first software I've used that allows multiple instances on the same computer, but doesn't allow you to run it on more than 1 computer.

If it doesn't violate the license agreement and the software is capable of doing it then I don't see a problem. If Sage was concerned about it I'm sure they'd make a statement, change the license agreement or modify the software to put a stop to it.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

while matt's client might not be the best scenario for frey i'm sure that by the same token it has drawn many new users who might have gone elsewhere otherwise.