SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Sage User

Browsing Video Library - too many movies!

I've had the SageTV program for a while, but just recently got around to configuring it into a usable interface...

I apologize if this has been answered already, I've looked and looked in the forums and haven't found an answer...

I have over 400 imported movies in my "Video Library" under the Media Center - Imported Videos. My video library is set to a 3x3 display that shows the title and folder.jpg cover art (so my wife and kids can easliy select a movie). The problem is that if you were last on the page with "Young Guns" and you wanted to now select "2 Days in the Valley" you have to "page up" over 45 times!!! Is there any way to get a "shortcut" menu that runs down the right edge of the screen to jump to different letters like the "Music" - "Album" menu?

I think I might be able to create a folder structure to "drill down" into (like one folder for each letter) that would make this slightly more manageable, but I'm not quite sure how to do it and I also import my videos from different UNC paths on my network so I don't know how that would effect doing a menu like this if I had videos starting with the same letter but in different locations on the network...

Also, I remember seeing somewhere at one point that you can export info form DVD Profiler to use as "View Video Detail" for your imported videos, but I can't seem to find the thread(s)... specifically I'm looking to pull in MPAA ratings, run time, and a synopsis of the movie, preferably from DVD Profiler as I have the information there already... is this possible?
Old 11-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Folders

The folders are pretty simply. Just check on page 92 of the 4.0 user manual for more details.

Essentially within your video import folder, just create subfolders (i.e. Comedy) then put your video folders within that subdirectory. On Sage, it will show Comedy as a folder, the you can drill into that to see the videos under it.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

I use the folder method to organize things as well, particularly for DVD box sets.

For example, I have the 8 disc set of Full Metal Panic, so I made a folder called Full Metal Panic and placed all of the ripped DVD folders into that.

It works quite well.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Sage Icon

I've got a little over 1100 movies and a couple thousand TV episodes in my import folders. I use the Genre approach as well. Although you said you have them on different UNC paths. So you would have to group the movies together on the same drive (UNC path). So all comedies on one drive, all action on another and so on. I put a raid-5 on my main server and encoded my DVD collection and recordings for exactly this purpose.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Sage User

I gathered up the nerve today to switch to the Sage MC 16:9 STV which solved my DVD Profiler issue/question... very nicely might I add...

I also ran a test using the folder method highlighted in the v4 manual (I was still operating off the v2 manual... duh) What I did was put folders named "A" in two seperate UNC paths that I search for video... I then moved movies (starting with the letter "A" of course) into those folders in both locations... using the Sage MC STV it only showed ONE "A" folder with BOTH movies (may work with the default STV, not sure...) So I just went through and created letter folders in each video location and moved things where they should go, this made it a lot easier to navigate to where I needed.

I was worried that the solution above was "too easy" and it wouldn't work... I beginning to find that most things with Sage TV are "too easy", especially with such a helpful user base and awesome development contributors... you guys rock!!!