SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 11-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Newb Questions

I have been reading and reading and just don't get it. I currently have one Tivo and one ReplayTV, but am looking to build my first HTPC and eventually replace both these commerical units with two running Sage.

The main thing I don't get is HDTV. I looked into receiving the signal over the air for free, but it is going to be an issue in my area because I'm nearly 70 miles from the antennas. However, I don't mind purchasing HD through my cable provider, Comcast. Comcast would give me the DCT 5100 unit.

From what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong, you can use a firewire port from STB's that have the firewire port enabled. The question I have is two fold.

1) The firewire port is not decrypted while leaving the STB? That is why in the other thread the univerisal decoder was developed?

2) Why can't I just connected the STB box via the standard cable, RG6, to the HD capture card? Do I lose the HD at that point? Can I use component out on the STB to Component in on a the capture card?

Like I said, I'm new to this game and just have not found an answer to this one.

Regards,

Deliverer
Old 11-26-2005, 01:56 AM
Sage Icon

Question 1: The Universal Network Encoder was developed to allow unsupported tuners (including non-firewire tuners) be recognized by Sage. It has nothing to do with encryption or decryption. If the show/channel is encrypted by the cableco at the request of the network you cannot decrypt it. In the case of using the UNE with firewire is to allow Sage to see the STB itself as an external FW tuner.

Question 2: The HDTV tuner cards recieve HDTV via over the air broadcasts from an antenna. Some also have the ability to demodulate the QAM signal directly from a cable source (no STB) but a) Sage hasn't implemented the QAM support in any of the cards (yet?) b) Even if it was implemented, shows that are encrypted still cannot be decrypted. and c) the RG6 output from the STB is not what the HDTV tuner card can use. Lastly, there are no consumer tuner cards that take an HDTV component input. There are some expensive pro cards but not supported by Sage nor financially feasable.

Just FYI, QAM modulation is a method for transmitting/recieving the signal and it is different and separate from the encrytion used to protect the shows from copying.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply. So in short, the RG6 coming from the HD STB does not ouput a HD signal?

Ok, so what are my options for watching HD via the STB?

Do I connect the TV directly to the STB via component video? Can I also connect the capture card to the STB via svido or RCA cables? I know I would have to watch the same thing on both, meaning I could not record something different while I'm watching a HD program.

Here is another question for you. I know I can play CD/DVD's on a HTPC. Can I replace my receiver with the HTPC as well? Can I simply use the HTPC for my surround sound system? I'm looking for cost justification here since I will have to explain this to my wife. If I can tell her it saves us from buying a new DVD player and receiver, it will be better for me.

Last, If I do not decide to go the HDTV route, my current cable box only has RCA outputs. Is this strange? I thought Digitial TV boxes at least come with svideo out?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Sage Icon

The only way to record HDTV with a cable STB is the firewire method and that is limited to only the unencrypted channels which is (or eventually will be) the same local broadcast channels you get with one of the OTA cards such as the Fusion 5's or Avermedia 180's.

If you can go Satelite then their is a modification that can be done to some of the Sat boxes that installs or modifies the boxes firewire to be unencryted but it is expensive. (for info, search for 169 time).

To watch HDTV from a cable STB you must connect it directly to the HDTV via component, DVI, or HDMI. Depends on your STB and TV connections. Recording can only be done if it is done by the cable STB itself and their PVR's have the same sucky interface that their regular STB's have and definately no Sage goodness.

You can connect the Sage system to your TV via a variety of methods. For connecting to a regular SDTV you would use s-video or RCA outs depending on the STB and your computers video card. Connecting to a HDTV can be via component, DVI, HDMI, or the regular RGB video output again depending on the TV and Video card.

For regular SDTV recording you connect the STB to the capture card via S-video or composite (RCA outs). The capture card then records the show to hard drive and Sage can then display it via the video card to your display (computer monitor, SDTV, or HDTV) or stream it to a Sage client on the network.

You can use your HTPC to replace the reciever. Many audio enthusiasts would shudder at the thought but I'm going to do this myself. I don't have golden ears and I have heard pretty good sound from pure PC solutions. Of course, I've never compared them directly with a $50,000 home theatre audio solution as I am sure the PC audio would then be ruined for me as well

There are several methods for doing this. The first is to use powered computer speakers connected directly to the soundcard. This is the cheapest method and quality-wise the worst but there are now some pretty good computer speakers. Klipch makes a 5.1 set that is highly recomended for this method.

There is also the method that I am contemplating which is a bit more expensive but will allow me to use higher quality home theatre speakers. There is a new multi-channel amplifier out from (Simplifi), that is designed for PC audio. I'm going to connect it to speakers from Fluance or Orb Audio. This is pretty much the same method of computer audio but separates the speakers from the amplifier so that both can be better quality.

There is also the method of sending the audio out via the soundcards digital outputs to an external reciever. It has the benefits of not having the audio "distorted" by the lower quality DAC's in soundcards but does still require a reciever and also has issues with computer audio from sources like games. Go to the soundcard forum at HTPCNews.com for more in depth research.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Again, thanks for the info. I am almost ready to go shopping. One last question regarding the client/server configuration. I plan on having my server with capture cards in a closet in the house. My client(s) will be out in the living room. There are two things I want to confirm.

First, clients will be able to play DVD's locally if the HTPC(Client) has a DVD drive right? I would just need a decoder, like nvidia's?

Second, do clients need a capture card or just a video card. I only plan to record video and have my STB's attached to the server.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:33 AM
Sage Icon

1. Correct
2. Just a video card for clients. Nvidia 6600 series have been making a name for themselves among HTPC's and take advantage of features of nVidia's decoder.