SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Sage User

Media Library Refresh timing

I've loaded over 400 ripped DVDs and nearly 18,000 mp3 tracks into my Sage Media Player using three directories speficied as UNC paths off server shares. I have no problems seeing the media, the problems arise from Sage "checking" to see that the files are still valid.

I see CONSTANT network traffic between my Sage box and my media servers, everything is running on a fully switched gigabit network, but I'm still noticing extreme "slowdowns" when Sage scans the media.

I used a network sniffer (Ethereal) to analyze the traffic to find out what was going on, and that's how I know it's Sage checking the media that's doing this. It takes Sage roughly 45 minutes to run a full scan on everything, it breaks for about 15 minutes and then starts the scan all over again. I assume this means that Sage "checks" the media every hour...

Which leads to my question: Is there a way to increase the time periods between Sage media scans? Is there a way to schedule when these scans take place? Best case, is there a way to disable the scans so they only take place if I MANUALLY start them from the setup windows (ie - only when I know things have changed?)

This is a rather large problem as the traffic is having the following effects:

1 - I get "jumps" in my SageTV recordings when the scans are taking place.
2 - The bandwidth consumption of these scans cause both my Sage box AND any other clients on my network connecting to the media servers to "slowdown" or have "skips and jumps" when trying to playback media off the servers, even though it's all FULL GIGABIT (Gig NICs, Gig Switches w/ "oversized" backplanes...)

HELP! Thanks...
Old 11-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Administrator

I have never tried modifying this property, but I just saw one you could try... set:

seeker/periodically_scan_library=false

It _sounds_ like it will prevent periodic library scanning. If there is a setting for the delay between scans, I didn't notice it.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.