SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:42 AM

Unhappy Problem with dual display : only top-left quarter displayed

Hi,

I'm a brand new user of SageTV, installed the trial for 4.0 yesterday and it looks very promising.

I have a problem with my dual display configuration. I use a 8" touchscreen to control my HTPC. I want to keep SageTV interface on the touchscreen and I want to display videos and TV fullscreen on my secondary output (LCD monitor for the moment)

I'm running a Radeon 9600 Pro, latest catalyst drivers, and I configured Extended mode. Primary display is the small touchscreen, running 800x600, and secondary display is the LCD monitor, running 1280x1024.

Now in SageTV, when I want to activate LiveTV fullscreen on secondary monitor, I have two situations :

1. Sometimes I cannot get picture to display on secondary monitor. Even though I start in windowed mode, drag the window to the secondary screen, and then activate full screen, picture comes back to the small primary touchscreen

2. More annoying : whenever I succeed in displaying TV live picture on secondary monitor, picture seems only 800x600 (resolution of the primary screen), and only the top-left part of the picture shows on the big monitor. The rest of the screen shows Windows extended desktop.

I have played around with all settings (using nVidia decoder, tried 3D acceleration on/off, tried overlay, VMR9). I have some experience with these questions since I've been using software like BeyondTv or Meedio, which both work fine displaying TV fullscreeen on the secondary monitor.

I really don't know what to do. Can anybody here give some advice on how to get the proper live tv picture, fullscreen, on a secondary display ay 1280x1024 ?

Thanks a lot

PierreLo
Old 11-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Sage Icon

I know this does not help much, but I have requested this type of functionality also. I don't believe it is possible with SageTV at the moment.

Maybe some SageTV god will answer differently.

Not very encouraging, I know,
Old 11-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreLo
I have a problem with my dual display configuration. I use a 8" touchscreen to control my HTPC. I want to keep SageTV interface on the touchscreen and I want to display videos and TV fullscreen on my secondary output (LCD monitor for the moment)
The only way I know to do something like this is to set the video card driver to something like clone mode or whatever else ATI offers for duplicating video output. What does ATI call taking the overlay output & duplicating that on the 2nd monitor? That's the only way I know to get only the video on the 2nd monitor w/the menu + video on the 1st screen. I'm guessing that this always uses the same resolution on both screens, though.

Quote:
I'm running a Radeon 9600 Pro, latest catalyst drivers, and I configured Extended mode. Primary display is the small touchscreen, running 800x600, and secondary display is the LCD monitor, running 1280x1024.

Now in SageTV, when I want to activate LiveTV fullscreen on secondary monitor, I have two situations :

1. Sometimes I cannot get picture to display on secondary monitor. Even though I start in windowed mode, drag the window to the secondary screen, and then activate full screen, picture comes back to the small primary touchscreen

2. More annoying : whenever I succeed in displaying TV live picture on secondary monitor, picture seems only 800x600 (resolution of the primary screen), and only the top-left part of the picture shows on the big monitor. The rest of the screen shows Windows extended desktop.
Is ATI's 'Extended mode' simply extending the Windows desktop to cover both monitors? If using FSE, video is going to run only on the primary monitor, as far as I know. Otherwise, it should fill whatever size the 2nd monitor is using -- with my nVidia card, I use SageTV on the 2nd monitor all the time (not using FSE) & it always fills the screen, regardless of whether my primary monitor is using a lower resolution. Of course, in this mode, SageTV is on one monitor or the other; nothing is duplicated on both screens.

Like I said: I'm using an nVidia card... maybe there is an issue here with the ATI driver?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:26 AM

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I finally found a way : I inverted primary and secondary displays, making my touchscreen secondary and my big LCD primary.
In meedio, no problem, one can choose on which monitor the interface will be displayed (I plan to control SageTV from Meedio interface)
In Sage, no problem either, I selected VMR9, no FSE, and it displays fine on big screen. Problem solved !
By the way, clone mode was no solution for me since I'm using touchscreen at 800x600 and big screen at 960x540 (ultimately, big screen will be my PTAE300 panasonic projector)

Now I just have to investigate specific SageTV meedio plugin and remote.
One thing about it : I have a Hauppauge 45 buttons and I found out that selecting this remote in SageTV config wizard would overwrite my old irremote.ini file (containing all settings for all applications...)

I had done a lot of specific settings for several applications in this irremote.ini file and wooof ! all gone !
Maybe it would be useful to explicitely warn (on the wizard screen that deals with remotes) that existing irremote.ini will be overwritten ?
(luckily, I made a disc image just before installing SageTV...you never know!)

Anyway SageTV definitely looks great and I can't wait to test in depth to see it will integrate fine in Meedio (there is a SageTV dedicated plugin for Meedio).

I'll be back here soon for too many questions

PierreLo

Last edited by PierreLo; 12-01-2005 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreLo
Now I just have to investigate specific SageTV meedio plugin and remote.
One thing about it : I have a Hauppauge 45 buttons and I found out that selecting this remote in SageTV config wizard would overwrite my old irremote.ini file (containing all settings for all applications...)

I had done a lot of specific settings for several applications in this irremote.ini file and wooof ! all gone !
Maybe it would be useful to explicitely warn (on the wizard screen that deals with remotes) that existing irremote.ini will be overwritten ?
(luckily, I made a disc image just before installing SageTV...you never know!)
Actually, it is the installation process, not the Config Wizard, that modifies irremote.ini... and it is mentioned as a side effect on p. 12 of the v4 manual. (The manual can be downloaded before installing SageTV, so the install steps can be checked before running it.)

Once installed, SageTV itself will not modify irremote.ini.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.