SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Help me understand the sage music module?

I've just recently started actually -using- the music module in SageTV. I noticed this morning though that not all my music is present in SageTV. It is all .mp3 files, and they are tagged reasonably (no albums, just artist and song title) but for some reason the vast majority of my collection isn't present. I've tried rescanning the import directories, but no new files get added.

Where is the music library actually stored?

Can I rebuild it from scratch?

Is there any way to tell why certain files do not get added?

Originally all my music had an album tag (named "ALL"). I removed that tag, but even after rescanning the library I still see that Sage is using the old tags.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Sage Icon

I'm not sure but I think they need to have V2 ID3 tags.

Also on the rescan I'm not sure if it will rescan a file if the filename hasn't changed. You may want to make sure the whole library is using v2 tags then remove the import folder then add it again.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, all my music is tagged with ID3v2 (and ID3v1 actually). I tried removing the folder, but no dice.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Sage Icon

Bummer. Then I'm not sure what is going on. Maybe someone else has some ideas.
Besides I'm pretty sure I'm wrong about the ID3 v2 vs v1 tag stuff anyways
Old 12-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
The mp3/music library is still suffering in V4. Not sure why this has been neglected. SageTV has been overlooking many of my MP3's since version 2.0.
However the new v4.0 feature "Browse for Media" finds them. It would be nice if they either simplified the mp3 portion to directory listings as it does with the "Browse for Media" function or revamp the whole Music Library approach altogether. Listing songs by artis and title still yields empty listings... my first 40 or so listings are blank (followed by my tuner descriptions... why are tuners listed here??) Once Frey fixes this portion of their product the WAF will increase ten-fold!!! Why when you create a playlist can't you choose a song from the play list.. instead your only option is to remove it from your list..Things like this need to be addressed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
Bummer. Then I'm not sure what is going on. Maybe someone else has some ideas.
Besides I'm pretty sure I'm wrong about the ID3 v2 vs v1 tag stuff anyways
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 12-02-2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia
The mp3/music library is still suffering in V4. Not sure why this has been neglected. SageTV has been overlooking many of my MP3's since version 2.0.
However the new v4.0 feature "Browse for Media" finds them. It would be nice if they either simplified the mp3 portion to directory listings as it does with the "Browse for Media" function or revamp the whole Music Library approach altogether. Listing songs by artis and title still yields empty listings... my first 40 or so listings are blank (followed by my tuner descriptions... why are tuners listed here??) Once Frey fixes this portion of their product the WAF will increase ten-fold!!! Why when you create a playlist can't you choose a song from the play list.. instead your only option is to remove it from your list..Things like this need to be addressed..
Or just use SageMC .
Old 12-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Sage Expert

LOL .. you kill me.. No offense MLBDUDE..I just don't like the way MCE is setup. You duplicate the MCE experience within SageTV .. very impressive as has been all of your work! However, it is too busy for me! I remember in your MLBDUDE2.STV you had a "list music as a directory" option that looked great but never worked for me. I would navigate to the mp3 and when I chose it..it would never play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbdude
Or just use SageMC .
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8

Last edited by cmaffia; 12-02-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia
LOL .. you kill me.. No offense MLBDUDE..I just don't like the way MCE is setup. It's not your fauilt and you duplicate the MCE experience withing Sage .. very impressive as has been all of your work! However, it is too busy for me! I remember in your MLBDUDE2.STV you had a list music as a directory option that looked great but never worked for me. I would navigate to the mp3 and when I chose it..it would never play.
Now that Deria's winamp plugin is out, the My Music Files UI in SageMC is even more usefull. Now you can navigate your entire music library how it was organized by you. Regardless of whether Sage read in the tags or not.

P.S. SageMC is much cleaner and LESS busy than the default STV. But that does NOT mean you have to like it .
Old 12-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Sage Expert

Dude.. I am old school Tivo. That is why I loved your mlbdude2.stv. Simple and to the point. Easy enough for my wife and the kids to figure out at the get go. With the Dynamic Menu Customization and a few other STVi's released, I was able to duplicate the feel of your first stv. So your work, in spirit, lives on somewhat in my livingroom

Quote:
Now that Deria's winamp plugin is out, the My Music Files UI in SageMC is even more usefull. Now you can navigate your entire music library how it was organized by you. Regardless of whether Sage read in the tags or not.

P.S. SageMC is much cleaner and LESS busy than the default STV. But that does NOT mean you have to like it .
Old 12-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Does "My Music Files" show cover art? Even if it doesn't, I think I'm going to give that a try. I dislike the concept of libraries, and the only thing I care about in the music tags is the artist and song which can both be inferred from the directory structure. If it doesn't show cover art as you browse, I suppose I could whip up a JNI function to search the directory the file is in for folder.jpg, build a bitmap, and return it to the display. It would take me less time to do that than it would to figure out why the default music module is ignoring 75% of my files.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deria
Does "My Music Files" show cover art? Even if it doesn't, I think I'm going to give that a try. I dislike the concept of libraries, and the only thing I care about in the music tags is the artist and song which can both be inferred from the directory structure. If it doesn't show cover art as you browse, I suppose I could whip up a JNI function to search the directory the file is in for folder.jpg, build a bitmap, and return it to the display. It would take me less time to do that than it would to figure out why the default music module is ignoring 75% of my files.
No, it does not show cover art right now. However, now that I plan on using it more I will probably add the folder.jpg option right in the STV.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
No, it does not show cover art right now. However, now that I plan on using it more I will probably add the folder.jpg option right in the STV.
OK, I lied it does, at least now .