SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Making Good use of those MPEG2 Files

I've got SageTV up and running and it's great. The wife is hooked, and we're living in a new and happy TV world. Now here's the dilemma...

I want to pull some of my MPEG2 files from Sage across my home network and make DVD's of a show or two. So far, I've discovered that this is not nearly as easy as I think it should be. I assumed (and yes, I'm an ass for doing so) that it would be as easy as introducing some handy utility to my MPEG2 file and then popping in a DVD-R.

So has anyone else had success making DVD's? I'm not after menus or anything fancy. I just want to archive a show here and there. How is it done? Is there any simple way to do it or am I going to die in demux/conversion hell?
Old 08-18-2003, 07:45 PM
Sage Icon

Re: Making Good use of those MPEG2 Files

Quote:
Originally posted by nicktripp
So has anyone else had success making DVD's? I'm not after menus or anything fancy. I just want to archive a show here and there. How is it done? Is there any simple way to do it or am I going to die in demux/conversion hell?
I use MPEG2VCR to edit out commercials. It is a little pricy (US$129) but works like a dream. It allows edits to be made at the "I frames" so that you don't need to re-encode the MPEG files. I then use the DVD burning software that came with the DVD burner, Ulead Movie Factory. With Movie Factory, I can create menues and add chapter markers. At best quality (DVD standard), I can put two episodes of "Junkyard Ward" on DVD, sans commercials.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Interesting. Thanks for the PC-side info. I should, however, probably mention that my DVD burner is on my Mac. You'd think that using iDVD or DVD Studio Pro would be fairly simple...but no. Is it possible for me to do everything but actually burn the DVD on the PC side?

I'm getting really frustrated by the idea that I'm not going to be able to get these things on DVD without a hassle.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:20 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for the PC-side info. I should, however, probably mention that my DVD burner is on my Mac. You'd think that using iDVD or DVD Studio Pro would be fairly simple...but no. Is it possible for me to do everything but actually burn the DVD on the PC side?

I'm getting really frustrated by the idea that I'm not going to be able to get these things on DVD without a hassle.
I tried finding a solution for the Mac, as well, but I could only find QuickTime tools. I did pickup the US$20 MPEG2 decoder for QT, so I can watch the files from my Mac, but I haven't found anything like MPEG2VCR. Since I decided not to get the SuperDrive, I don't have much experience with DVD burning on the Mac.

I suppose you could use MPEG2VCR on the SageTV PC (either via the TV or using VNC) and then transfer the processed files to the Mac, but I don't know how convenient that would be.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:02 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by fidget
I suppose you could use MPEG2VCR on the SageTV PC (either via the TV or using VNC) and then transfer the processed files to the Mac, but I don't know how convenient that would be.
Processing the files on my SageTV PC isn't really an option. I do, however, have access to a great number of computers (PC and otherwise) for processing. I'm just hoping to find a convenient way to do it all on my Powerbook because that's where my DVD burner is. I'll keep this post updated as I try things.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Record your files in Sage using a DVD compliant setting. These burn without problem.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

They are recorded using a DVD compliant setting. The problem isn't with the files, it's finding software that makes it easy to get them onto a DVD-R.

Thanks for the effort though.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sorry I can't help with the Mac I use a Windows machine. Uleads DVD MovieFactory burns them without a problem and without re-encoding. I use Womble to cut the commercials again without re-encoding.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
They are recorded using a DVD compliant setting. The problem isn't with the files, it's finding software that makes it easy to get them onto a DVD-R.

Thanks for the effort though.
I saw this on MacCentral. It should solve the issue with burning DVDs, but not necessarily with re-editing the MPEGs.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Again, thanks but perhaps I haven't addressed the issue properly.

I have just about every application one could have for burning a DVD in Mac OS X. I have Toast Platinum, iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, etc. The problem is, none of them like the MPEG2 files that are being encoded by the PVR-250 on my Sage PC. Almost all of them require me to split the video and audio, or run them through some other app that creates a Video_TS folder or process the file in some way.

No DVD burning or authoring application that I've come across yet will let me just open the MPEG2 file and click burn. It seems like it should be that simple. Take an MP3 and Toast for example. I can just drop my MP3's into Toast, pop in a CD-R and click burn and in a minute or two, I have an audio CD ready to go. This is what I want to do with my MPEG2 files.

If it requires two hours of my time (or my CPU's time) just to pre-process the files and manipulate them before they can be burned to a DVD, then it's not worth it. Some of the appeal of using Sage was that I could archive some of my favorite shows to DVD easily. So far, it's been anything but.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:35 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I have just about every application one could have for burning a DVD in Mac OS X. I have Toast Platinum, iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, etc. The problem is, none of them like the MPEG2 files that are being encoded by the PVR-250 on my Sage PC.
The reason I gave you that link is because it is the Mac version of the DVD burning software that came with my Sony (PC) DVD Burner. It has a trial period so no purchase is necessary. As long as I record using one of the DVD settings on SageTV, I have never had a problem burning a DVD with the MPEG files. Check that you are recording a DVD stream and if you are, use the trial version of the software.

From what I was able to find on my limited research for the Mac, most DVD software seems to expect a DV source stream and not MPEG.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by fidget
. As long as I record using one of the DVD settings on SageTV, I have never had a problem burning a DVD with the MPEG files.
I downloaded the DragonBurn software you linked and gave it a go. Are the DVD's you burn playable in a home DVD player? If so, how are you creating them in DragonBurn?
Old 08-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I downloaded the DragonBurn software you linked and gave it a go. Are the DVD's you burn playable in a home DVD player? If so, how are you creating them in DragonBurn?
Because my Mac is missing the SuperDrive, my only burning experience has been with the PC (which is pretty straight forward). I have had very good luck viewing DVD-R disks that I have burned using standard DVD players (I am currently 4/4). I will probably get some experience burning from the Mac very soon. If I find something that definitely works, I'll let you know.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

nicktripp, are you recording the sagetv files in a dvd compliant formats (dvd standard, long or extended)? These formats don't require re-encoding and can go right to disk. Have burned several dvd-rs with a powerbook and it took forever (like 5 hours to encode a 1:06 imovie project).

BTW, dvdrhelp.com is a great resource for your burning needs
Old 08-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by Sailn
These formats don't require re-encoding and can go right to disk.
I record everything as "DVD Standard." Are you telling me I can just drop the file into Toast and burn it to a DVD? No Video_TS folder needed? Just...put the file in there? Could it be that simple?
Old 08-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

yes...that is the whole point of using a dvd compliant format. Toast will handle everything, as I recall. Personally, I don't care for using my mac to burn disks and much prefer using my pc, but to each his own.

Last edited by Sailn; 08-22-2003 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'd have no problem trying a PC if I had one with a DVD burner in it. Of all the computers I have, my Powerbook is the only one with a DVD burner. So I don't really have an option.

I just started Toast, created a new DVD and dropped the file into it. It's burning right now. We'll see if it works.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

That definitely did NOT work. Toast doesn't create a Video_TS folder automatically or anything, so all I had was a DVD-R with the mpeg2 file on it. The DVD player just laughed at me.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:22 PM
Sage User

nicktripp,

One potential thing you could do is to "author" the DVD on the PC, and then transfer the VIDEO_TS folder to the Powerbook for burning.

For example, I like to use Sonic MyDVD for simple DVD's, or you might try ULEAD MovieFactory 2 (free trial available http://www.ulead.com/dmf/ -- I've never actually used it myself).

Either of those programs allows you to create a VIDEO_TS folder on the PC, which you can then pull over the network. Then you should be able to burn that with whatever DVD burning software you typically use on the MAC.

I know, it's not quite as simple, but it would work, I think.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:24 PM
Sage User

I forgot to mention. One good little brief overview of ULEAD is found at:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/139093.php

Make sure you pay attention to the "do not convert compliant MPEG files" checkbox! Saves tons of time!

--J