SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Theatre 550 Pro chipset: How good a fit with SageTV?

In looking for a PCI card replacement for my Hauppauge PVR-150 (I've tried a couple of these cards and both are missing audio on several cable channels - a known problem under certain configurations with both the PVR-150 and PVR-500), I'm most impressed by the ATI Theatre 550 Pro chipset cards, specifically the ATI Wonder Elite due to its RF remote control.

I know this card is on the officially supported list but how well does it typically work with SageTV? Specially, can I expect to have problems with this tuner in combination with an existing PVR-USB2? Will the RF ATI remote control work well with SageTV? Thanks for your feedback.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well given the lack of feedback I had to see for myself. Great picture - until SageTV locks up when I change channels. Doesn't lock up every time I change channels but any tester should be able to discover the problem inside of 2 minutes. I'm using the latest ATI drivers. Pretty sad for an officially supported tuner.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

Sorry for the late reply. I am not sure why you are having problem with the Tuner, but more likely the issue is related to compabitility with your video card or something else. I have heard that people with NVidia Video cards have problem with these cards...not SageTV Specific.

As far as the remote goes there are a couple of options. I personally use Girder to do all sorts of things with the ATI Remote Wonder and for the most part like it.

John
Old 12-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have found some other threads where SageTV locked up when changing channels on Theatre 550 Pro chipset cards. In my case it only seems to happen when the my other tuner (PVR-USB2) is recording and I'm changing channels on the Elite card. At most I can change channels maybe 5 times before Sage locks up. fortunately Sage continues to record while I kill the task and restart SageTV. I have a simple workaround though - I give the ATI card a higher encoder_merit so that it gets picked to record. I haven't had any lockups changing channels on the Hauppuage card while the other one is recording (so far).

So the big reason I won't be keeping the ATI tuner is because there is no way on earth of me getting the included Remote Wonder Plus to work (in anything). There's an error message on installation about an x10net.dll that fails to register. Although everything looks good as far as the devices and software working, the remote does absolutely nothing other than flash a light when a button is pressed (no remote icon in the taskbar either). I can install the x10drivers from x10.com and make that ATI install error message go away but the remote still won't work. I even tried the installation in a totally different computer setup and got the same error message - really bad quality control by ATI.

BTW, I'm using an ATI based video card.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:26 PM

Hmm that all odd mine never lockup
Old 12-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

What Version of ATI Remote Wonder Software are you using?

I use 1.5. I am fairly certain there are newer versions, but I too had numerous problems when I tried them.

Just a thought,
John
Living Room: WinXP Pro SP2, AMD XP3200+, 1GB, 1.3TB 3ware 9500S12 RAID5, GigaByte GA7N400Pro2, 2xVBOX USB2 HD Tuner<-Antennna, 1xHDHR<-Antennna , HD100 to HDMI Splitter 1080i->32" 4:3 HDTV or 1080i->92" 1080P LCD Projector
Kitchen: WinXP Home SP2, Celeron 2.0Ghz, 512MB, 40GB, Saphire ATI MB, ATI9200->19"LCD
2 BedRooms: MediaMVP
Old 12-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

I tried the 3.01 drivers that came on the CD and 3.02 drivers available from ATI's website (these are for the new Remote Wonder Plus - I don't think there are any older drivers for it but maybe those designed for the older remotes might still work?). The more research I do into this problem (e.g. on Rage3D), the more convoluted the whole thing becomes. And here I thought Huappuage had bad drivers...
Old 12-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
Hmm that all odd mine never lockup
Any chance you are using it in combination with a Huappauge tuner?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:52 PM

nope it in stand along test system
Old 12-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Sage User

I too was using an ATI Remote Wonder (an older one, which came with the AIW7500 which I still use as the video card in my Sage system), which broke completely after I installed it on a new PC - probably related to downloading the latest drivers from ATI. They did work once! I got a similar set of errors to yours. I could never fix it, and in the end gave up on the ATI software. The remote itself is fine, though - I switched to using Girder. Using that, the SageTV control is much better than with the ATI software, though it took longer to set up.

(as an aside, the leap from ATI's MMC software to SageTV was even more shocking!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl-Z
So the big reason I won't be keeping the ATI tuner is because there is no way on earth of me getting the included Remote Wonder Plus to work (in anything). There's an error message on installation about an x10net.dll that fails to register. Although everything looks good as far as the devices and software working, the remote does absolutely nothing other than flash a light when a button is pressed (no remote icon in the taskbar either). I can install the x10drivers from x10.com and make that ATI install error message go away but the remote still won't work. I even tried the installation in a totally different computer setup and got the same error message - really bad quality control by ATI.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:40 PM

if you're having problems with the remote wonder and getting x10net.dll to register, read this:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33839909

it worked for me.

BUT, i'll re-iterate what was said in that thread, BE CAREFUL while hacking your registry!
Old 02-04-2006, 04:23 AM
Sage Expert

I just started using a powercolor ati theater 550 pro card PCI-e version. It works with a couple of problems. First, with live TV I get stuttering. The PVR-500s and PVR-150 I have in this box do not stutter with live TV. Second, sometimes it records with no sound. I have no idea why this is. I should add that I am running it on a Windows 2003 box.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi,

Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but I was wondering if Silkshadow ever found a cure for the stuttering during live tv.

TIA

Jesse
Old 05-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Hi,

Sorry to drag up such an old thread, but I was wondering if Silkshadow ever found a cure for the stuttering during live tv.

I second this question.
Robert
Old 09-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Sage User

try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Hi,

TIA

Jesse
Let about 10-30 seconds build up and then play.