SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Sage Expert

File Size Settings?

Am I missing something? I don't seem to see a way to select a maximum size for a file. The other HD recording software I've used has had such settings, in part because if you're not using NTFS, you need to.

So, I'm assuming Sage either requires NTFS, or I'm missing a way to set the maximum file size.

BTW, I want to do this because I do get stuttering near the end of long football games I'm recording but watching live or near live.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Administrator

As far as I know, it automatically splits the file when the file system has a file size limit -- I think FAT32 has a 4GB limit.

But, even with large files, it shouldn't be stuttering later in the recording. Is the recording drive partitioned w\using 64K clisters sizes? If not, you should do that so it will work better regardless of any fragmentation.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Are you sure that your cpu and/or gpu aren't suffering from heat exhaustion?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
Are you sure that your cpu and/or gpu aren't suffering from heat exhaustion?
Sure about the CPU, not about the GPU (but it's not a passively cooled unit, so I'd be surprised).

But the problem of stuttering goes away when the next program starts, so I'm pretty sure it's a file size/fragmentation issue. For example, for this week's MNF game, rather than setting it up to record long, I had it record the next scheduled recording. The stuttering stopped when it started on the next file.

Also, prior to switching the drive to quiet (which as noted in another thread greatly reduced the fragmentation), the stuttering would be so bad I'd switch to watching on the MyHD card instead. With the drive on quiet, the stuttering was a very infrequent and very minor annoyance.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
But, even with large files, it shouldn't be stuttering later in the recording. Is the recording drive partitioned w\using 64K clisters sizes? If not, you should do that so it will work better regardless of any fragmentation.

- Andy
No it's not 64k, and I haven't changed it in part due to the reports in another thread that XP couldn't defragment such drives that well. But I did format a smaller partition on the same drive 64k, and that didn't seem to help when I made it the sole recording drive. But I didn't test it that long given the small size of the drive.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Administrator

If you don't use 64K clusters, it will stutter -- drives just can't seek fast enough to keep up with the data throughput required to record and play videos when there is fragmentation. With 64K clusters, fragmentations is practically a non-issue.

There are utilities to defrag such drives, such as Raxco's PerfectDisk, but I haven't bothered to defrag in months & have no stuttering w/lots of fragments.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.