SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Sage User

Sage client network routing

I've noticed some interesting behavior, and I'm wondering of others are seeing the same thing. The majority of my archived shows reside on a linux raid, and are shared via samba. When I watch an archived show using sage client, I notice that the network path seems to be routing the file from the fileserver, through the sage server, to the client. This means with an HD file I see 20% util on the fileserver and client links, but 40% util on the server link. Is it a bug or a feature that sage client isnt smart enough to leave the server out of the file streaming if the file resides elsewhere? (note, I tried adding my samba share dirs as both mapped drives, and using the UNC paths. Both ways showed the same network traffic.)

I would prefer to record everything to the network fileserver, but I've discovered that watching a HD show live, while recording to a network file server, causes enough network load on the adapter in the sage server to cause jittery file playback. (60+% util). As such, I've had to stick more drive space in my sage server locally, which limits the size of my sage recording drive.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Sage Expert

Sounds normal. If your getting that level of utilization, segmentation would be good; 40% utilization on a 100bT segment is very close to the 60% max threshold you want to stay under; normal as in network engineering best practices normal. Back in the 'old days' an Ethernet bus running > than 65-70 could result in a node crash

You could run a seperate NIC from server to server as the simplest cure; or upgrade to GbE -- just avoid running baby giant or jumbo frames because they crap on smaller datagrams (telnet, games, etc). If you do go GbE make sure the switch supports 802.1p (frame pausing; referred to as QoS -- lol) which gives you more tuning options and may make the larger frames doable.

One last thing; you're not running on a hub are you? Hubs are 'of the devil'.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:56 AM
SageTVaholic

The server does all the streaming to the client. So if you have your files stored on another box it will always go thru the server.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Sage User

Ha, nope, switched, full duplex (explicitly set, no auto-neg) 100baseT. I actually think its partially that the cheap NIC that can't cope with 60% util.
Using two NICs is an option, but it would require me to use fancy static routes as I don't want to segment the network. Also, it would increase traffic over the PCI bus. (not that a singe NIC isnt already doing that I'm sure)

But the more basic question is, wouldn't it be much more efficent not to stream everything through the server?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Sage Expert

From years of bad experiences I stick with Intel NICs. Anything with 3com on it should be $h*t canned.

What's the datarate on the HD streams? I don't remember off hand. Remember that 100bT Ethernet bus maxes at ~80%. There is 20% or more frame overhead on Ethernet. A 40% load is really a 50% load, etc. That's why the marketing choice was made for GbE to market it as 1000mbs. It's really ~1200mbs per direction (half duplex) but equates to a theoretical maximum goodput (meaning above Layer 1,2 & 3 overhead) is 1000mbs.

If you don't want to segment and/or worry about PCI bus saturation, you should look at GbE. That is if a NIC change doesn't fix it.

Last edited by dagar; 12-07-2005 at 02:44 PM.