SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

HDTV Signal Strength?

Is there a signal strength meter available anywhere in Sage? The original 4.0 release notes contained the following:

Quote:
• New configuration wizard, enabling easier setup of all SageTV Media Center features ranging from music and photo locations to video playback checks and channel tuning including a HDTV signal strength indicator. Clear and simple wizard prompts allow users to choose setup options and media preferences in minutes.
But I can't find the signal strength indicator in the configuration wizard. Has anyone used this with their HD card? BTW I have an A180.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Sage Icon

If you play a channel, then go to the configuration wizard for that tuner you will see the indicator. It only works when a channel is playing.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Administrator

The signal strength meter is on the Channel Setup screen; go to Setup -> Setup Video Sources -> select your digital source to go to Source Details -> Channel Setup. When you preview a channel on that screen, it shows the signal strength and updates it every 5 seconds.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah, what he said
Old 12-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks guys. I did search the v4.0 manual and there was no mention of this signal strength meter, so I wondered if it had been dropped from Sage.

-Chris
Old 12-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Administrator

I think it is on p. 159.5 -- you have to peel the pages apart to see it.

Oh well, I suppose that means I should look into adding info about it...

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

This is strange; when I go to the channel setup for my digital tuner, I can enable/disable the channels, or remap them (using the buttons), but the View button, which is how I believe you 'preview' the channel, isn't there!

-Chris
Old 12-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc16
This is strange; when I go to the channel setup for my digital tuner, I can enable/disable the channels, or remap them (using the buttons), but the View button, which is how I believe you 'preview' the channel, isn't there!

-Chris
Chris,
I think that only works the first time you setup the device. I know I saw it once upon a time.

However, this is why I have to go to the program info, start playing the channel I want to check, then go to setup channel page. Then you will see the signal strength indicator. This is the only way I have consistantly see it. If you ever find that preview thingy let me know
Old 12-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc16
This one is in the manual; p. 160, as part of the Channel Setup menu description. You have your Display Video on Menus option set to Never, so the View button isn't shown.

- Andy
Old 12-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Sage Icon

OK that does work. So if I want to see my signal strength, I have to have Display Video on Menus turn on. Hmm, thats not good, I don't like Display Video on Menus, hence the reason I have it turned off.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Administrator

It is something that is easy to turn on via the Options command on the Channel Setup menu & then turn it back off when you are done. I'm guessing that going to Channel Setup to check the signal strength of multiple channels isn't something that has to be done very often.

- Andy
Old 12-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Always 100%

So I got the signal meter to show up, but it shows 100% on all my channels - even KCOP-DT whose signal is so low it doesn't even show a picture. I think maybe the meter doesn't work well with the A180 card. I remember the free WatchHDTV app from AVSForum had the same problem with the A180. Has anyone else had better luck?

-Chris
Old 12-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Sage User

I'm not sure if you are having issues or not with the A180, but here is an interesting post on the AVS forums:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=616551

I've pulled a lot of my hair out with the A180, so if you are having issues, mention them.

Software: XP Pro SP2; SageTV 4; nVidia Video Decoder; nVidia Audio Decoder
Old 12-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm using an A180 and it looks to me that it only shows signal strength in increments of 25%. The A180 was showing 100% signal strength but I was getting glitches while recording on some channels. I bought a Fusion5 and tried that on the same antenna. It shows increments of about 1% and I would see much lower signal strength that the 100% the A180 was reporting. It seems to me that the A180 just rounds the reading. So I raised my roof antenna about 4 feet. The Fusion now reports higher signal numbers (and the A180 still says 100%) and my recording glitches have gone away.

Greg
SageTV Client 6.44,Windows XP Pro, MSI K7T Pro, AMD Duron CPU 1 GHz, 512 Mb Ram, , Linksys WMP54GS, ATI 9600SE