SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sage Extender and MVP questions

Hi,

I am thinking about taking the plunge with 4.1.3 and using an MVP.

My main concern at the mo is what the interface will look like coming from the MVP. I'm a fan of the SageMC 16x9 and would like to continue using it. Will the MVP somehow be able to use an STV imported into the server or is it currently hard set?

If it is set, how does it look / behave? Is it like the standard STV or are there differences. I'm wondering if the MVP handles things like transparencies and overlays (if you can get the video playing in a preview window in the guide for instance).

Also, I've just read that the hauppauge's software for the MVP now supports divx. Are there any plans for the Sage Extender to follow suit? It seems a shame to have to use something else a divx collection.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Administrator

The UI on the MVP looks & acts just like it does on the PC, with partial transparency over the playing video & you can use the video preview window. You can choose which STV you want to use. That last couple pages of the v4.1 manual mention the types of media you can currently play.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

is there a list of changes from matts ???
Old 12-15-2005, 07:36 PM
Sage Expert

you mean besides how it's architected?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

use new software with old mvp?

I have Matts up and running and it works pretty good. Not perfect, but good. With the new release from sage, can I just substitute the sage software?

Is there a download? or is it included in the sage 4.13? and if so, how do I activate it?

I saw the exchange document for the client to mvp key. Can I just buy a key for the sage one and use my old mvp? ( by old, it is still the newer version that plays divx)
Thanks!
Old 12-16-2005, 01:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebuilder
I have Matts up and running and it works pretty good. Not perfect, but good. With the new release from sage, can I just substitute the sage software?

Is there a download? or is it included in the sage 4.13? and if so, how do I activate it?
I posted some info about using an MVP with v4.1's built-in support for it here: Using the Hauppauge MediaMVP with SageTV v4.1

Quote:
I saw the exchange document for the client to mvp key. Can I just buy a key for the sage one and use my old mvp? ( by old, it is still the newer version that plays divx)
Yes, you can just buy an MVP Client license; the SageTV Client license exchange is simply for those people who bought SageTV Client solely for use w/an MVP in the past & don't want it for anything else.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

What about those that bought a client license, not for use with an MVP, and would rather switch to the MVP style. Are we out the $30 that was paid for the client license when we be the extender for $99.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 12-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Sage User

Can you stream avi and mkv and DVDs that you have encoded over the MVP system. I noticed pictures, music, PVR, and Live tv are mentioned, but I did not see anything about videos.

Software: XP Pro SP2; SageTV 4; nVidia Video Decoder; nVidia Audio Decoder
Old 12-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Sage Fanatic

The MVP only supports play MPEG2 and MP3 files. No other Video/Audio formats are supporterd.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Sage

But other audio/video formats are in testing. There's already experimental transcoding support built-in to 4.1.3....
Old 12-16-2005, 11:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
But other audio/video formats are in testing. There's already experimental transcoding support built-in to 4.1.3....

woohoo

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:14 PM
Sage Icon

so is it just a 'try to play it and see if it works' type of thing?
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 12-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

license for each?

With Matt's you only had to have one client license and you could run multiple mvp's all at once.

Same with this one? or do you need a seperate mvp license for each?
Old 12-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Administrator

It turns out that using Matt's plugin that way was stepping around the intent of the SageTV licensing; you need a license for each MVP client concurrently in use. See the link I posted above: Using the Hauppauge MediaMVP with SageTV v4.1

- Andy
Old 12-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
It turns out that using Matt's plugin that way was stepping around the intent of the SageTV licensing; you need a license for each MVP client. See the link I posted above: Using the Hauppauge MediaMVP with SageTV v4.1

- Andy

This still doesn't answer my earlier question. If we already have a client license and which to go to the MVP there is no exchange, we are out the $30 spent for the client and must also by the extender for $99. I know under this scenrio I am not actually out the $30, since I could use it for a different client setup. But there is no exchange for client licensing, correct.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
Old 12-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Administrator

You would have to ask SageTV if they have a policy for something like that, since they are selling the MVP w/a license.

- Andy
Old 12-16-2005, 06:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusvball
This still doesn't answer my earlier question. If we already have a client license and which to go to the MVP there is no exchange,
There is an exchange, I think Dan posted a PDF to fill out to swap a client for an extender license.

Quote:
we are out the $30 spent for the client and must also by the extender for $99. I know under this scenrio I am not actually out the $30, since I could use it for a different client setup. But there is no exchange for client licensing, correct.
With which you can buy an MVP from newegg (or the like) and use your current license. Of course considering newegg is about $88, and the extender from Sage is $99, I'd just get the extender bundle which nets you an extra extender license for about 1/2 price .
Old 12-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Sage Fanatic

i'm getting excited now that i see transcoding availability forthcoming!

actually the only transcoding i really need is ac3 to mp3 or wav. divx/xvid decoding is a boon too but i'll gladly up my hard drive numbers just to be able to play dvd's ripped as a single vob and renamed to mpg.

at least this validated me picking up that 3-pack of mvp's from rat shack!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
With which you can buy an MVP from newegg (or the like) and use your current license. Of course considering newegg is about $88, and the extender from Sage is $99, I'd just get the extender bundle which nets you an extra extender license for about 1/2 price .

That was kinda my thinking anyway.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
Old 12-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Sage User

Question 34 button or 45 button with MediaMVP bundle?

I'm so excited that SageTV finally has officially supported the MVP!!

However, I was on the store page here and noticed it says it comes with the 35 button remote? Now, from what little I've gathered about the Hauppauge remotes, there is a 34 button and a 45 button remote (From the SageTV user manual pg 234-235). It seems the "35" may be a typo? Can anyone confirm which remote the bundle actually comes with. And along with that -- does it really matter? (I.E. is one remote actually better than the other?).

Thanks,
Charlie