SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Sage Icon

according to the manual---the sage version does not support divx. Matt's plugin never has either FWIW. Hauppauge's version transcodes it on the fly but sage will/does not at this time.
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 12-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsm
I don't see where I can select the shows to record on HDTV. Can you point me too this? Is it possible it is only there if you have tuners with different EPGs on the same Sage system?

-Matthew
I'm not sure I'm following but this is how it works for me. I have three capture devices configured in Sage. Two analog tuner cards and a firewire connection to a Motorola DCT-6200 HD cable box. The analog cards get their EPG data from the local Comcast "analog" channel lineup and the EPG for the Motorola is set to the local "Comcast - Digital" channel lineup. So, for example, channel 10 is the analog NBC (for me) and channel 232 is the digital NBC. I can set up a Favorite for a particular show on channel 10 as well as a second Favorite for the same show on channel 232. The Favorite set to channel 10 will pick one of the analog tuner cards to use. The Favorite set to channel 232 has to use the Motorola. They both will record at the same time (I already do this since I never deleted any of my old Favorites that record on the analog channels even after setting up the same shows to record off the Motorola). It works great.
Pegasus - SageTV/HomeSeer Server: Core2Duo 1.8GHz, 1GB, 1.5TB RAID5, 2.25TB RAID5, Radeon X1050, (2) Hauppauge PVR250 (only used for security cameras now), SiliconDust HDHomeRun, Hauppauge HD-PVR, WinXP Pro
Prometheus - SageTV Client: Core2Duo 2.66GHz, 1GB, 500GB, GeForce 8400GS, WinXP Pro, 848x480 to InFocus SP4805 projector on a 78" screen
HD Theater (HD200) connected via HDMI to Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" plasma
web server plugin | 2 MediaMVP Extenders | FiOS TV
Old 12-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUC
Did sage's version for the MVP fix the problem where some of us were having the display being offset by 1-2" to the right? Do AR adjustments work now? That would be great.
YES!! We did fix this problem.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Sage Icon

Thank you!!! That is great. Sorry, but i openned up a nother thread with this topic...
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 12-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor
Of course. I found this http://www.hauppauge.com/Pages/press...tures_mvp.html, and the Hauppage site does seem to say divx. So I just really wanted to confirm that picture and this feature.
Hauppauge software will do Divx. Matts client won't, and from what I read in the Sage manual the Sage MVP client won't either.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebuilder
I have no troubles with people making money.. I just wish it was per household thing, not a per TV thing.

Pricing models can be tricky and finding the best way to make money and gain market share can be hard.

In my humble opinion, I think sage would gain alot of support if they had a per household marketing plan... I am single, but want to be able to watch sagetv in any room in my house. So for one person, I have to buy how many clients?

This isnt a complaint, just wish sagetv would re-evaluate the marketing plan. I want sage to be successful and I think if they offered an "all in one" solution it would be more attractive to the less computer literate. After all, eventually micrsoft will get better, and now google is looking to get into Tv....

You'll have to remember that Sage hasn't charged for an upgrade since v1, while almost every other software company will make you pay for new versions... some even make you pay each year as a subscription. I myself don't mind paying for each client (I have 1 server and 3 clients right now) since I get free upgrades (for the time being anyways).
Old 12-16-2005, 01:17 PM

Oh well, I guess I will have to wait on the MVP. At first I was existed that I might be able to watch my HDTV recordings (even if they are transcended to DIVX), but I do not think I will be able to do this after reading this thread. The workaround seems to be to recored the same show on HDTV and analog, which I am not interested in at this point. Maybe in the future. This product does some promising

_PeaceKeeper_
Old 12-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

divx

I am not sure why or how, but somehow I was getting my divx in sage imported video files to play over the media mvp...

I stopped using the matt's mvp since I already had a normal client hooked up and it worked better over all.

of course it could have been a sugar induced fantasy... mmmm cookies..
Old 12-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

It sounds like from Jeffs post that there is some experimental ( Read unsupported ) code in the release that does transcoding. I have not tried it yet.

John
Old 12-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaz
there is some experimental ( Read unsupported ) code in the release that does transcoding.
Instead of 'unsupported', I would read it more as 'not done yet':
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
But other audio/video formats are in testing. There's already experimental transcoding support built-in to 4.1.3....
Once it is done to their satisfaction, it will be documented & so on.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaz
It sounds like from Jeffs post that there is some experimental ( Read unsupported ) code in the release that does transcoding. I have not tried it yet.

John
Does anybody know if this needs to be manually enabled or does it just work automagically?

Sounds like I'll be transcoding my DVD and video collections to DivX soon.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Oh well, I guess I will have to wait on the MVP. At first I was existed that I might be able to watch my HDTV recordings (even if they are transcended to DIVX)
Hi Peacekeeper ,

Im assuming you meant transcode, transcending to DivX is probably beyond the ability of most PC's - it's more theological.

Sorry, not yanking your chain, it just amused me.

Cheers

Mark
Old 12-16-2005, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkimar
Im assuming you meant transcode, transcending to DivX is probably beyond the ability of most PC's - it's more theological.
Doh! Yes, you are right I ment transcode.

_PeaceKeeper_
Old 12-17-2005, 05:10 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor
Of course. I found this http://www.hauppauge.com/Pages/press...tures_mvp.html, and the Hauppage site does seem to say divx. So I just really wanted to confirm that picture and this feature.
errr....isn't that...world news?
It's the first evidence of a wireless MVP existing I have seen so far.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:50 AM
Sage Icon

Ever since it came out, people have been using it that way.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

There are a few network DVD players that can act as extenders out there. One being the Link Theater.

There wont be a sage skin but when I use to follow the AVSforum on this the maker did say the menu was XML and it was skinnable. Who knows maybe matt can make a new skin for this .

Also the IO data DVD player can connect to a network. I thought the link theater had the most promise the only issue I had was that it upscale all types of media except DVD and it only had composite. I hopping a DVI connection comes out in the future with upscaling DVD.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Sage User

I'm glad to see that the SageTV folks have finally released official media extender support. I still think SageTV is the best commercial product available today. Unfortunately I've already switched to GBPVR and I'm not looking back. GBPVR has had MediaMVP support for some time now. With the latest release the performance has improved a great deal. The greatest thing about GBPVR is that you don't have to buy licenses to use a MVP. If something ever happens to GBPVR I'll probably take another look at Sage, but for now I'm sticking with GBPVR. Sub, the developer, has really written an excellent piece of software. Don't get me wrong though...I'm still a supporter of Sage.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Multiple MVP's

I have 2 mvp's that have been running fine with Matt's client.. when I run SageTV 4.1 I get video on one of the MVP's, but the other MVP seems to crash with color bars and is non-responsive to the RC.. I have to unplug it..

Is there a way to tell Sage how many MVP's there are??

I have purchased 2 client licenses already, so I assume I'll need to fax both of these to Sage, assuming there is a way to use multiple MVP's with the new version??

Note: Rebooting the Windows PC fixed this problem.. Both MVP's are happily running along now (I sent my client licenses in to get rid of that "TRIAL" that is floating all around my screen).. Is somebody working at Sage this weekend to get back to me on that?

Last edited by Stuntman; 12-17-2005 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have 3 licensed MVP clients running now - during my demo testing, though, I only had one instance installed and running. But it definitely handles multiple clients properly on my setup.
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman
Is there a way to tell Sage how many MVP's there are??
You'll have to register a key for each MVP.

Quote:
I have purchased 2 client licenses already, so I assume I'll need to fax both of these to Sage, assuming there is a way to use multiple MVP's with the new version??
If you want to convert both, yes, but I think there's room on the form for more than one key.