SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

MediaMVP Extender

So there is now an official MediaMVP extender. But there is not a lot of information. What formats can it play? The same ones as before? Can I watch HDTV recorded shows (at SDTV quality) over the MediaMVP?

Any other information would be great....

-Matthew
Old 12-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Sage Icon

See here http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14712
Old 12-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Sage User

Anyone knows anything on wireless capability on this extender? any hacks to or methods to use wireless networking?

(I see a picture of a wireless MVP here http://www.hauppauge.com/Pages/press...tures_mvp.html)
Old 12-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

None of those threads answer my question:

I want to use an HDTV tuner in my main htpc. I want to be able to watch those same shows on the MediaMVP (STDV is FINE!). How will this work? This had to be an issue encountered...

-Matthew
Old 12-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsm
I want to use an HDTV tuner in my main htpc. I want to be able to watch those same shows on the MediaMVP (STDV is FINE!). How will this work?
I don't think you can. Sage doesn't transcode HD to SD.

Andy.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, but there was no thought put into this? I read in another thread that the purpose of having an SDTV extender was because most people would have their HTPC connected the their HDTV. So what gives? There is not even an option to record the analog and digital version at the same time?

Otherwise it is useless.....
Old 12-15-2005, 09:20 PM

I am interested in this too. If I have a HDTV card in my server will I be able to watch the HDTV (live or recording) on an extender?

Thank you in advance,
_PeaceKeeper_
Old 12-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Yes, but there was no thought put into this? I read in another thread that the purpose of having an SDTV extender was because most people would have their HTPC connected the their HDTV. So what gives? There is not even an option to record the analog and digital version at the same time?

Otherwise it is useless.....
Here is the link I intented to post http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14691
Old 12-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

I know the MediaMVP cannot play HDTV. It does not have enough horsepower. I think that is all the thread addresses. There has been no clear statment as to it there is a solution:

1) transcoding on the fly
2) recording analog and digital version
3) ???

Anyways, I need to know how/if this is addressed.

-Matthew
Old 12-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Sage Icon

The manual states that the MVP can't play HDTV content.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Perhaps I am a bit dense, but with 4.1 are the new capabilities (including enhanced performance) of the MediaMVP Extender available with the original Hauppauge MVP?

So if I had a client license, could I exchange that for the MVP license and use the Hauppauge MVP?

And... If so, is there more than one version of the Hauppauge MVP?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Unless I'm missing something it won't do Xvid/Divx files either. Just Mpg, MP3, and Pictures. I am wondering what is going to make the Sage version any better than Matts client that works perfectly well for the same files..

Last edited by SprDtyF350; 12-16-2005 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Sage Fanatic

I could be wrong, but the main difference that i see is that you can use Matt's version at no extra cost while to use the sage version you need to purchase client licenses. Doesn't seem that any of the functionality aside from menu rendering has changed, so if you're happy with matts it would seem silly to upgrade - though it is only $30...
Old 12-16-2005, 12:49 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm hesitant to try it because everything is working real nice now. I also wonder if/how you would use a different STV. I use SageMC on everything but since the MVP can't do DVD, or my Xvid videos I have those selections disabled. How would you make those changes on the Sage version? I was really hoping for the ability to play my Xvid/Divx stuff with the MVP. Then I could get rid of 2 client PC's. Hauppauge MVP software plays them, how come no one elses wants too?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Sage Expert

Question Licence????

hi,

i have bought a client licence for all my mediamvp's and use this with matt's client (so that i have a licence for every mvp). when i use the new mediaserver from sage, can i use this with this licence. and when not, can i change this licences to media-licencens?

vu
dibu
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de
Old 12-16-2005, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23
I could be wrong, but the main difference that i see is that you can use Matt's version at no extra cost while to use the sage version you need to purchase client licenses. Doesn't seem that any of the functionality aside from menu rendering has changed
I certainly got good use out of Matt's plugin & I say "Thanks" for the use over the past year or so, but the built-in MVP support allows a much faster drawing/responding UI, better FF/REW, less load on the server, and for some of you: smooth FF/REW during playback on the MVP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDtyF350
I'm hesitant to try it because everything is working real nice now. I also wonder if/how you would use a different STV. I use SageMC on everything but since the MVP can't do DVD, or my Xvid videos I have those selections disabled. How would you make those changes on the Sage version?
It has the full SageTV UI, so you can choose whatever STV you wish to use. The default STV 'knows' when it is in-use on the MVP and customizes a few things accordingly, such as not providing any DVD playback options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBU
i have bought a client licence for all my mediamvp's and use this with matt's client (so that i have a licence for every mvp). when i use the new mediaserver from sage, can i use this with this licence. and when not, can i change this licences to media-licencens?
See the announcement that was made for v4.1: SageTV Version 4.1 Now Available.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Take a look at the annoucement, all the license issues are addressed.

-Matthew

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14703
Old 12-16-2005, 01:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
The manual states that the MVP can't play HDTV content.
I'm aware of this, and am curious if there is anything that was done to address the issue, since if we record in HDTV the MediaMVP is useless. Is there an option to record an analog version also? Is there support for transcoding?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I'm aware of this, and am curious if there is anything that was done to address the issue, since if we record in HDTV the MediaMVP is useless. Is there an option to record an analog version also? Is there support for transcoding?
If you also have an analog tuner, just record the same program on the analog channel.
Pegasus - SageTV/HomeSeer Server: Core2Duo 1.8GHz, 1GB, 1.5TB RAID5, 2.25TB RAID5, Radeon X1050, (2) Hauppauge PVR250 (only used for security cameras now), SiliconDust HDHomeRun, Hauppauge HD-PVR, WinXP Pro
Prometheus - SageTV Client: Core2Duo 2.66GHz, 1GB, 500GB, GeForce 8400GS, WinXP Pro, 848x480 to InFocus SP4805 projector on a 78" screen
HD Theater (HD200) connected via HDMI to Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" plasma
web server plugin | 2 MediaMVP Extenders | FiOS TV
Old 12-16-2005, 01:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes, I'm asking about automation to this process. I don't want to manually do it everytime.

Last edited by mattsm; 12-16-2005 at 02:32 AM.