SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Sage User

MVP License Question

I understand that client licenses are specific to each computer -- you cannot use one license for two separate computers, even if you do not use them at the same time. Is the same true for MVPs? E.G., if I have 3 MVP licenses, are the licenses specific to particular MVPs, or will I be able to run any three MVPs at one time?
Old 12-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

So I see the wireless version of the MVP on the Hauppauge site but searching every online vendor they list in their "where to buy" page, I can find no hint of such a device available for sale - anyone know if this is available for purchase anywhere? I have one of my MVPs setup wireless with a game adapter and a hub - it's pretty goofy looking and I'd love to replace it with a nice wireless unit.

Since it's not even listed on their web store for sale and there's no info about it at all other than a couple pictures, I'm assuming this is a "coming soon" kinda thing...
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.

Last edited by jlindborg; 12-17-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
I understand that client licenses are specific to each computer -- you cannot use one license for two separate computers, even if you do not use them at the same time. Is the same true for MVPs? E.G., if I have 3 MVP licenses, are the licenses specific to particular MVPs, or will I be able to run any three MVPs at one time?
Each MVP concurrently in use requires a license; see Using the Hauppauge MediaMVP with SageTV v4.1

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Sage User

I read somewhere (some kind of online review) that the wireless unit is supposed to be released in Jan of 2006, and it does 80211.G. But of course, we all know what it means to firm dates and product releases for all the companies out there.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

What is the PQ like on one of these? Does it manage to avoid the tearing and stuttering that happens on some programs when watching directly from the computer?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Sage Fanatic

It is pretty much the best playback I have seen on Standard Definition TV. Perfectly smooth. I have heard some people get stuttering if the network is not configured correctly.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juncti
What is the PQ like on one of these? Does it manage to avoid the tearing and stuttering that happens on some programs when watching directly from the computer?
It looks real nice. I only notice a little bit of pixelation once in awhile during fast action type things. I don't really notice any difference between it and a direct hookup to cable, or satellite.

Some people have stuttering. I have never seen it. Had trouble one time getting it to connect when it was hooked to my router. Putting a switch in between the router and MVP fixed that.

All in all for the $39.00 each that I paid for them at Radio Shack they have been great little devices.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

That's great. Definately going to get one to try out on my other tv. I'll also try it out on my projector and see if I get better PQ than my direct from computer hookup. If so I'll just get another and use that for the majority of my watching. Although I do love being able to have the tv playing while using the web in another window. So I may need to keep the VGA hookups as well. We'll see. Going to order one now.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Sage Icon

Since I never use the UI on my server PC, can it be used with the Sage-supplied MVP client?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Nope.
You need to purchase a seperate License for the MVP.

SHS pointed out in another thread that Frey probably has to pay licensing fees on a per user basis for all the Media MVPs that their software runs on so to allow users who do not use the UI would mean that could not control appropriately pay Hauppauge royalties...this is just speculation on mine and others part though.

John
Old 12-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Sage Icon

What sucks is I have 2 licenses for Sage server, and 3 client licenses already. I was originally going to use the first mvp plugin on one of my systems with the 2nd license of server, and just use it as a network encoder/MVP client machine. Looks like my server may end up needing an upgrade to run multiple MVP's . (It's only a P4 1.4, I run Server & SA on it now, and the system seems to become completely un-responsive when I have the MVP logged onto the system, I'd hate to see what happens when SA fires off).

What I'd like to see is the ability to have one PC be a MVP server machine, which would basically just server the MVP machines... I could leave my existing Sage server as is (it's run without any problems really through the 4.0 release), and set up a 2.8 Celeron D I have floating around as the MVP server... (what I was planning on doing with the MVP plugin).
Old 12-19-2005, 07:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
What sucks is I have 2 licenses for Sage server, and 3 client licenses already. I was originally going to use the first mvp plugin on one of my systems with the 2nd license of server, and just use it as a network encoder/MVP client machine. Looks like my server may end up needing an upgrade to run multiple MVP's . (It's only a P4 1.4, I run Server & SA on it now, and the system seems to become completely un-responsive when I have the MVP logged onto the system, I'd hate to see what happens when SA fires off).

What I'd like to see is the ability to have one PC be a MVP server machine, which would basically just server the MVP machines... I could leave my existing Sage server as is (it's run without any problems really through the 4.0 release), and set up a 2.8 Celeron D I have floating around as the MVP server... (what I was planning on doing with the MVP plugin).
There is no need to upgrade your machine. With v4.1 the video and UI is rendered using the MVP's hardware. I think it was said that in theory you could run something like 20 MVP's off a 3 ghz box. If your server is sluggish then you need to do some digging and see if you can't find what the problem is. It shouldn't be lack of power.

Last edited by blade; 12-19-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Have you tried to setup the second Sage Server as a network encoder and then also enable the MVP extender on that one and disable it on your main Sage Server? I don't have two licences of SageTV to try it - yet. Probably wont work but you never know.

BobP.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
There is no need to upgrade your machine. With v4.1 the video and UI is rendered using the MVP's hardware. I think it was said that in theory you could run something like 20 MVP's off a 3 ghz box. If your server is sluggish then you need to do some digging and see if you can't find what the problem is. It shouldn't be lack of power.
Once the UI loads & everything settles down, the percentages go to near pre-4.1 levels. I've noticed that starting/stopping clients hammers the server on my network... I can take Sage to 99% usage just starting up a client. I plan on getting a GB network card soon (it's got a firewire port too, and I plan on putting my HD cable box on it) and putting all my Sage stuff on the seperate GB backbone in the house .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
Have you tried to setup the second Sage Server as a network encoder and then also enable the MVP extender on that one and disable it on your main Sage Server? I don't have two licences of SageTV to try it - yet. Probably wont work but you never know.
Anybody know if you can use a full-blown copy of Sage as a network encoder as well as a client to another Sage server? If so then I can make what I have work, and convert one of my regular client licenses over to a MVP license .
Old 12-19-2005, 08:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Anybody know if you can use a full-blown copy of Sage as a network encoder as well as a client to another Sage server? If so then I can make what I have work, and convert one of my regular client licenses over to a MVP license .
I know it can be done here is what you are looking for I believe http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...40&postcount=2

BobP.