SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageMVP -black screen on video, menus work fine

Hi,

I think I managed to get nearly everything in the subject line but this is what is going on: I'm on a trial version of the extender but the SageTV and SageTV clients are licensed.

Pictures, music (MP3, not WMA) work and so do the menus but video does not play. Sound does play for video but on screen only 2x floating the word trial. Is this normal?

I'd like to see what the video quality is so it would be nice if it could work. In the setup there is hardly anything to set in terms of video processing so maybe it's a feature and not an error?

I did notice that the screen positioning of the menu was way off but that can easily be adjusted.

Jan
Old 12-16-2005, 09:40 AM
SageTVaholic

When using the MVP [WRONG]try going into the Detail Setup of Sage and try the different decoders, overlay, etc until you get a picture[WRONG]. Also, did you reboot you server after upgrading to 4.1? Unplug the MVP, reboot the server and then plug in the MVP again. Good luck.

Gerry

EDIT: The above is incorrect. MVP is hardware-based so none of my above decoder suggestions are relavent. All I can suggest is make sure you reboot your server after installing 4.1 If you're running the Sage service stop that and run the Sage GUi and try to get the MVP working. Then set it back up for the service. I had Matt's plugin running originally so it was much more than install and turn the MVP on.
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 12-16-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just bought a MVP to test this out. I get the same problem, when I tune to a channel I get sound but only a black screen with the text TRIAL on two places that seems to move randomly on the screen.

I am using a PVR250 PAL version since I live in Eurpoe, I also have a European MVP with SCART. I don't have a license for the MVP but of cource my Sage is licensed.

I don't have any settings for decoders or overlay on the MVP and I suppose that i should not have that since it use the built in hardware decoders.

Should this work on PAL devices?

Anders
Old 12-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Administrator

I just now posted that PAL is not yet supported on the MVP.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Andy,

Thanks for your reply - any idea when we Europeans can join the fun?

I actually know when we can: when it is ready of course

Is the SageTV client license trade-in program deadline a clue?

p.s.: good thing my kids were just watching a movie on the SageTV saved me some time experimenting.

Thanks,
Jan
Old 12-16-2005, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Sorry, I don't know anything about when PAL might work; I just know it isn't there now.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thats to bad, I just bought a mvp for this. I just have to wait then, Sage usually delivers sooner or later.

Anders
Old 12-17-2005, 03:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Aloha,

i upgraded and now i have a problem.
I tried the extender software and saw, that the video stays black. I was pretty sure that it is a PAL thing. Well i went back to matt's client and now it doesn't work anymore.
Well is does work, but the -multi parameter does not work with the client anymore, so i am limited to one MVP.
Now I do see why Sage wants a license for every mvp and actually I have enough client licenses, but that isn't helping me at all.

Is it just, that I am making a mistake or did Sage actually disable the multi parameter? And is there a work-around until the PAL extender works? I don't want to go back to 4.0 because the TVTV epg service now works.

I tried only reverting the client to an earlier version and it starts up but has no connection to the "server-service". Meaning I see now recordings, ... .

This is a little frustrating.

Marneb
Old 12-17-2005, 05:00 AM
Sage Expert

black screen

black screen stuttering sound on my mvp

very bad
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de
Old 12-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am having the same problem in the US with no PAL. I have two MVPs and cannot get either to work with 4.1 natively. I removed and reinstalled everything multiple times and always got a black screen when trying to play a video. Menus looked fine but when trying to play a video it hangs for about 20 seconds then I get a black screen with a blue rectangle at the top which I assume is part of the OSD then after a few seconds it crashes and reboots the MVP, over and over. I have removed everything, Java and Sage and did a clean install of Sage without my old porperties file and wiz.bin (let it create new ones without any add ons) and nothing worked. Reinstalled 4.0 and Matt's client and boom, back up and running just fine. Something is very wrong with MVP support. If I were a new user ...... It's not very friendly. Will wait till I see others get this working properly. I already sent in and got two client licenses replaced so they are no good now AND the MVP doesn't work Back to the drawing boards Sage. I am anxiously waiting a workable system for MVP.

By the way, I love Sage and really want this to work cause the menus in the MVP do look nice and are snappy to navigate just no video :-)

Last edited by jlabrue; 12-17-2005 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marneb17
Well is does work, but the -multi parameter does not work with the client anymore, so i am limited to one MVP.

Is it just, that I am making a mistake or did Sage actually disable the multi parameter?
No, multi is no longer a valid parameter.

Quote:
I tried only reverting the client to an earlier version and it starts up but has no connection to the "server-service".
There were changes made regarding how the client & server communicate, so both have to be v4.1 to be able to connect.

- Andy
Old 12-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
No, multi is no longer a valid parameter.

There were changes made regarding how the client & server communicate, so both have to be v4.1 to be able to connect.

- Andy
My setup: I have two MVPs and actually two client licenses for the mvps with only one used.

As I said, I totally understand why Sage did this, but it is really frustrating! As always something with PAL does not work and it normally takes quite some time to be fixed. So I would, but can't use the method prefered by Sage. This leaves me with a spare license and a mvp that is not working !anymore!
As soon as the extender works I will use it but until then I really beg u to reactivate the -multi command. I don't want to revert to 4.0 because of recordings made today and yesterday, and because of the TVTV epg data.

Please.

Marneb
Old 12-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Gplasky,
"I had Matt's plugin running originally so it was much more than install and turn the MVP on."
What were the things you had to do? I am having the same menus work, no video, then mvp reboots problem others are having.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakecrash
Gplasky,
"I had Matt's plugin running originally so it was much more than install and turn the MVP on."
What were the things you had to do? I am having the same menus work, no video, then mvp reboots problem others are having.
I don't know if this had anything to do with it but I run the Sage service. I shut down everything and installed the upgrade. Instead of bringing up the service I start up Sage GUI. Made sure MVP was enabled and left that running. Then I fired up the MVP. I had removed the AC adapter, just not shut it off. After a couple of times of pulling the plug it did a complete boot, showed the Sage boot screen and the Sage GUI came up. After playing with it a bit it seemed to stick so I powered it down. Went and rebooted the server and started the Sage service. Went back and plugged power back into the MVP. It came up and has worked fine ever since.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:16 AM
Sage User

I Had same problem, menus but no viedo.
Found problem was in NIC advanced settings. Had a setting called Check Sum Offload - set to enable. Changed to disable. Boom viedo and sound.
Then I hab very bad shuttering and sound out of sinc.
I had a USB ethernet adapter. Switched to Usb adapter. works great now.

Must be a great sencitivity to NIC's

Hope this helps.