SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Sage Icon

Red face Looking for Expert Advice on Settings

I've used SageTV since 2.0 for about 1.5 years now ... Have had different Sage versions, different customizations and different hardware.

So, I am now looking for some good advice on my Sage Settings based upon my hardware and what would be optimal.

Before I go any further however, I want to point out a few issues/oddities I have experienced as I finalize my new Sage 4.0 Server.
  1. Occasionally, Sage will just freeze requiring a reboot.
  2. Once or twice I woke up to an infinite spinning Sage Logo.
  3. Toggling back and forth from Full Screen from the Main Menu, the menu text lags in size and then sizes itself.
  4. Toggling back and forth from Full Screen when watching a show, the screen goes black but audio continues requiring me to exit and re-launch SageTV.
  5. Occasionally while watching live TV or recorded shows, the video will pixelate for a second or hesitate.

Now for the Hardware Specs;
  • ECS PT800CE-A MoBo
  • 3GHz Intel P4
  • 1GB PC3200 Memory
  • ATI AIW X800XT Video Card (V.8.191.0.0 ATI Display Driver Dated 10/28/05)
  • SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS sound Card (V.2.08.0002 Beta Driver Dated 9/21/05)
  • Hauppauge WinTV USB2 PVR - Hardware Encoder TV Tuner (V.2.6 Driver Dated 7/7/05)
  • ATI AIW X800XT - Software Encoder TV Tuner (V.6.14.10.6320 Driver Dated 9/14/05)

Also, I am using the NVIDIA PureVideo Version 1.02-185 Decoders

Eventually I will move 3 Hauppauge 250 PCI cards from my old server when I transition over.

Attached I have more details on my current specific Sage Settings found in the Detailed Setup.

I am interested in suggestions on better, more optimal settings that may help performance and if possible maybe even clear up some of the issues mentioned above.

I know this is a long read but really do appreciate any help from you long time Sage experts!

Thanks very much ... T.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Detailed Setup.pdf (11.2 KB, 224 views)
File Type: pdf Sage Settings1.pdf (430.7 KB, 203 views)
File Type: pdf Sage Settings2.pdf (591.4 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by mightyt; 12-17-2005 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Sage

Of the issues you mentioned, only #3 is by design. The others should not be happening of course.

First I'd try not using the software encoder. See if that brings you stability. If that doesn't do it, then I'd test out your RAM and hard disk for any errors. The pixelation in the recordings might be corruption in the data transfer.

For the freezes, we'd like more information on those (we'll be able to pinpoint if it's in the capture hardware, decoders or graphics system or something else). You can enable the console window for SageTV using HKLM\Software\Frey Technologies\Common\consolewin=1 (DWORD). Then when SageTV is frozen hit Ctrl+Break in the DOS window. Then send us the output in the DOS window so we can identify where it's frozen at (also enable debug logging and send us the log file too).
Old 12-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Of the issues you mentioned, only #3 is by design. The others should not be happening of course.

First I'd try not using the software encoder. See if that brings you stability. If that doesn't do it, then I'd test out your RAM and hard disk for any errors. The pixelation in the recordings might be corruption in the data transfer.

For the freezes, we'd like more information on those (we'll be able to pinpoint if it's in the capture hardware, decoders or graphics system or something else). You can enable the console window for SageTV using HKLM\Software\Frey Technologies\Common\consolewin=1 (DWORD). Then when SageTV is frozen hit Ctrl+Break in the DOS window. Then send us the output in the DOS window so we can identify where it's frozen at (also enable debug logging and send us the log file too).

Thanks for quick the reply Jeff!!

Am in the process of doing all that you suggested ... Will report back soon ...

BTW ... I woke up to a locked up Sage again ...

Something is definitely wrong ... I did installed the SoundBlaster yesterday. It seems to work, but I wonder if it is causing any of these problems?? I did have them before, but they seem to be way more often ... say hours instead of days (even though days is nt good either).

Hopefully we can figure it out ... my 2.0 rarely crashes so I suspect 4.0 would be the same and there must be more to this ...

Thanks again, T.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Any chance you have a heat/case ventilation issue? I'm just guessing but with the randomness of it (days between lockups) and now sooner (new card and maybe hotter in the house because of winter season) it may just be worth investigating.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:52 PM
SageTVaholic

You're not going to want to hear this

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
  • ECS PT800CE-A MoBo
  • SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS sound Card (V.2.08.0002 Beta Driver Dated 9/21/05)
Get a new motherboard, really, that board is VIA based and ECS doesn't instill confidence. Seriously consider giving something like this a try:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127174
Old 12-17-2005, 06:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Any chance you have a heat/case ventilation issue? I'm just guessing but with the randomness of it (days between lockups) and now sooner (new card and maybe hotter in the house because of winter season) it may just be worth investigating.

Gerry
Thanks Gerry ... Actually I don't think so ... since it is a new build, I have had the case cover off from the start and the Sage System Monitor plug-in now and then it consistently show temps that top out at 40 ...

Good point though ... Too much heat would make a system unstable ...

Thanks, T.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

I think Stanger hit the nail on the head here. ECS motherboards are pretty much known to be one of the worst brands out there. I certainly wouldn't expect an ECS board to run 24/7, adding in all that extra hardware is just asking for problems.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
You're not going to want to hear this

Get a new motherboard, really, that board is VIA based and ECS doesn't instill confidence. Seriously consider giving something like this a try:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127174
Yea ... I know ... It was one of those Fry's bundles ...

I would have preferred the ABIT or at least an ASUS ...

I have to say though that the ECS has been in there and running for a few months and hasn't shown signs of being an issue. It also has not lock up when Sage is not running ... at least not yet ...

Per Jeff suggestions, I have already run 3 passes at a "Standard" memory test and 1 pass at an "Extended" test and no failures. Am running the Seagate HD Diags now. "Quick Test" passed and am running through the "Full Test" as we speak.

Though I'd hate to have to tear it all apart to replace the MoBo (tight fit case) if it came down to that being the issue I will (I guess)

I am wondering about the SoundBlaster "Beta" Drivers though???? That's all they had up on their web site ... not sure why??

Thanks again, T.

PS ... Am also looking for optimal settings suggestions (see my attachments above) ... Not sure I am selecting the best options available to me.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfresh23
I think Stanger hit the nail on the head here. ECS motherboards are pretty much known to be one of the worst brands out there. I certainly wouldn't expect an ECS board to run 24/7, adding in all that extra hardware is just asking for problems.

Arrrgh ... Not to comforting ... That Fry's

If it turns out not to be a config / driver / software issue I might have to spend some more $$ ...

Thanks, T.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:29 PM
SageTVaholic

I wouldn't touch anything soundblaster (or VIA for that matter ) with a 10 foot pole.

Quote:
PS ... Am also looking for optimal settings suggestions (see my attachments above) ... Not sure I am selecting the best options available to me.
There are no magic settings. Really there aren't any settings that should work better than any other combo. While I have little/no evidence to back it up, my feeling is that 99% of the stability problems I see posted on this board are due to underlying problems in the PC/OS, and are just highlighted by Sage. I haven't done anything special to make my setup stable. On my server, I haven't changed any settings AFAIK.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:33 PM
SageTVaholic

FWIW, just some ramblings....

I gave up long ago looking for "deals" on PC parts, or going with "what's new". I've been bitten by too many. My current process when picking parts, is to pick a good MFG, and then good chipsets (like ABIT board with nForce chipset, or Intel chipset). Where I save money is by skipping unneeded features. At this point good components are not expensive, it's cheaper/easier in the long run to just get what I want, from companies that I've had good luck with in the past.

And it seems to work. I'm on my 4th flawless machine in as many builds.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I wouldn't touch anything soundblaster (or VIA for that matter ) with a 10 foot pole.

There are no magic settings. Really there aren't any settings that should work better than any other combo. While I have little/no evidence to back it up, my feeling is that 99% of the stability problems I see posted on this board are due to underlying problems in the PC/OS, and are just highlighted by Sage. I haven't done anything special to make my setup stable. On my server, I haven't changed any settings AFAIK.
Yea ... I may yank the sound card and do a system restore to see if that helps ...

Actually I was talking about my picking the best "renderers, decoders and modes" ... Plus whether FSE, VMR9, etc. recommendations given my hardware ...

Thanks, T.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yea ... I may yank the sound card and do a system restore to see if that helps ...
Oh, another thing that scares me System Restore. I just don't trust it to actually remove all the remnants. Either a real image/backup (eg Acronis True Image) or my preferred method, Nuke-and-Pave (TM), especially if you've changed a motherboard.

Quote:
Actually I was talking about my picking the best "renderers, decoders and modes" ... Plus whether FSE, VMR9, etc. recommendations given my hardware ...
nVidia, nVidia, FSE VMR9, and select your audio card as the renderer.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
FWIW, just some ramblings....

I gave up long ago looking for "deals" on PC parts, or going with "what's new". I've been bitten by too many.
Good points ... At the time I hadn't yet experienced ECS ... Maybe this will have convinced me that my time and frustration is worth more than the deal ...

Thanks, T.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
While I have little/no evidence to back it up, my feeling is that 99% of the stability problems I see posted on this board are due to underlying problems in the PC/OS, and are just highlighted by Sage.
I tend to agree. For example my Sage server is an old Celeron 366. It was overclocked to 550mhz. I ran Seti@Home and RC5 (distributed computing projects) which kept the cpu usage at 100% at all times for over 3 years. The machine never went down except for power outtages. I installed comskip and the machine would freeze up in less than 5 minutes. I slowed it back to the default cpu speed and haven't had a single crash since. Systems aren't always as stable as they appear and it seems PVR related tasks really put hardware to the test.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:17 AM
Sage Icon

Unhappy Still Goin' Crazy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex

OK ... Here ya go Jeff ....

I did everything you suggested, and then some ... (See "Suggested Resolution" Attachment for details)

1 - REMOVED ATI VIDEO SOURCE
2 - ENABLED DEBUG LOGGING
3 - ENABLED CONSOLE WINDOW
4 - PROVIDED INITIAL CONSOLE WINDOW INFO
5 - DEFRAG
6 - RAM TEST
7 - HARD DRIVE TEST

While going through the Defrag process, with Sage running, the system did lock up a few times. I was able to restart, exit Sage and Defrag without any issues.

The Hard Drive Test had failed due to "file / chain" issues. I suspect the file issues were corruption due to the constant system locking.

I noticed that the log files were creating themselves sequentially ... sagetv_0.txt, sagetv_1.txt, etc. In the afternoon of 12/17, I copied logs 0-3 to my desktop for safe keeping ... and glad I did .. read on.

When I was done with all the tasks mentioned above I rebooted and left Sage running. I also set up a manual record to see what would happen. This was about 11:05pm on 12/17. I came back to check on it at about 12:15am on 12/18 and as I moved the mouse, the focus on the Main Menu no longer moved. I noticed the clock in the system tray read 11:28 and realized it must have locked up then.

I managed to capture a screen shot and save it (See Attachment). I did try to copy the text in the DOS window and got it to the clip board, but when I launched WordPad to paste the text, that was all the system could take and froze up solid. No mouse movement and required a reboot. So, I could not grab that for you, but you can see the screen shot of the DOS window for the last screen full of lines.

I then went to copy another log file expecting to see sagetv_4.txt after the 11:28 crash, but none was there?? Hmmm, so I check the dates on the existing 0-3 files in the Sage directory and noticed that 0 was created at 12:27am ... So it appears that 0 had overwritten itself. I zipped up the 4 log files I saved earlier in the Afternoon of 12/17 on my desktop and then zipped up the 4 in my Sage directory again after the last Early Morning crash on 12/18. (See Zip File Attachments For Log Files)

Hopefully you should have all you need to maybe pull a rabbit out of the hat ...

Let me know if you need anything else ...

Thanks VERY much, T.

EDIT: FYI ... I left the system on all night (1am to 9am) without SageTV running and it did not lock up. I will restart, launch Sage and see what happens. ... WELL ... it's 10am ... and it appears that at 9:38am it froze up again. (Have attavehd more logs)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Locked Up Screen Shot.JPG (251.4 KB, 193 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suggested Resolutions.pdf (370.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: zip Afternoon 12-17-05 sagetv_x Files.zip (69.3 KB, 161 views)
File Type: zip Early Morning 12-18-05 sagetv_x Files.zip (184.9 KB, 165 views)
File Type: zip 10am on 12-18-05.zip (18.0 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by mightyt; 12-18-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The Hard Drive Test had failed due to "file / chain" issues. I suspect the file issues were corruption due to the constant system locking.
You could have a bad HDD, or a "going-bad" HDD. Do you have a different drive you can try recording to?

Quote:
I noticed that the log files were creating themselves sequentially ... sagetv_0.txt, sagetv_1.txt, etc. In the afternoon of 12/17, I copied logs 0-3 to my desktop for safe keeping ... and glad I did .. read on.
That's normal, Sage creates a new log file each time you start it.

Quote:
I then went to copy another log file expecting to see sagetv_4.txt after the 11:28 crash, but none was there?? Hmmm, so I check the dates on the existing 0-3 files in the Sage directory and noticed that 0 was created at 12:27am ... So it appears that 0 had overwritten itself. I zipped up the 4 log files I saved earlier in the Afternoon of 12/17 on my desktop and then zipped up the 4 in my Sage directory again after the last Early Morning crash on 12/18. (See Zip File Attachments For Log Files)
Sage only keeps the last 4 log files, and renumbers them at startup:
4 -> Deleted
3 -> 4
2 -> 3
1 -> 2
0 -> 1
0 -> created new.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks Stanger ... I suppose it's possible the drive is going bad, but it is new and the issue was more file and file structure, leading me to believe corruption due to all the system lock ups. Neither Scandisk nor SeaTools reported bad sectors, so I somewhat doubt it's the drive ... Plus, it never fails when Sage is not running ... In fact it has been running since noon, the last time it locked, without a hiccup with IE running and me occasionally surfing around ... Of course, one never really knows where these gremlins start out ...

Yea, I didn't know Sage looped back over the log files so I'm glad I captured them all in increments.

Oh ... and it is the only 400gb drive partitioned in to two; C: (30gb OS & Apps) and D: (TV Recordings) ... When I make the final cut over from the old server I will move the other drives over to this system all at once.

Thanks, T.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quick Udate: It's just before 7am 12/17 ... System still runing without lockups since 10am yesterday ... without Sage running. If still stable, I will launch it tonight after work to see if it hoses within the usual 1/2 hour or so ...

Quick UdateNo. 2: Well, tried again around 8pm ... checked on it at 9:30 and yes ... locked up solid.

Last edited by mightyt; 12-20-2005 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:44 AM
Sage Icon

Not seeing any response from Jeff on my logs ... I decided to uninstall the Soundblaster Drivers ... Will launch Sage and see if she is locked up in the morning ... I also set it to record acouple of Twilight Zones since that's kind of where I think I am about now

Hmmm ... Sage recorded the Twilight Zone without a hitch ... and woke up to a non-frozen Sage!!

Of course with all this I forgot about my 2 week trial Showanalyzer!! Now I am getting dialog pop-ups every few seconds telling me so ...

Anyway, the sound card is still in the system so it appears not to be hardware conflicts. I'll leave it running all day and see what happens.

Thanks for the continued help ... T.

Last edited by mightyt; 12-20-2005 at 09:02 AM.