SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Sage

Based on your results I'd say it's some kind of hardware problem or driver bug. It looks below the level that SageTV can control due to how the system dies after it hangs. I didn't really get much from the logs....and when that's the case it's usually due to hardware issues.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had the 'black screen' problem too.
Set the 'Use Full screen exclusive mode' to No (if you're using VMR & 3D acc.)
This fixed my problem.

Ferdinand
Old 12-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
Based on your results I'd say it's some kind of hardware problem or driver bug. It looks below the level that SageTV can control due to how the system dies after it hangs. I didn't really get much from the logs....and when that's the case it's usually due to hardware issues.
Thanks Jeff ... I uninstalled the drivers and it did not lock up every half hour or so ... When I got home it recorded most of the day and wasn't frozen in the same way it had been. It was usually locked in seconds of moving the mouse and clicking. This time I got the spinning Sage Logo ... I was able to kill Sage, but not the DOS window.

Anyway, though it lasted many hours longer, it was still unstable. So, I shut it down and yanked the stupid sound card all together.

Now let's see if any remnants cause me issues or if it's something else all together ... I wish it would have worked out ...

But ... Thanks for trying ... T.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSpace
I had the 'black screen' problem too.
Set the 'Use Full screen exclusive mode' to No (if you're using VMR & 3D acc.)
This fixed my problem.

Ferdinand
Thanks Ferdinand ... I have it set that way ... but ... well, you know ...
Old 12-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Sage Icon

Closing this one out ... I ended up uninstalling my Sound Card Drivers, but the whole problem did not go away ... so I removed the card.

This seemed to keep Sage from locking up the system every half hour.

I do have another problem with LiveTV in Full Screen but will post that seperately ...

So, I guess (for now I hope) this is a done deal ...

I would still love advice on picking the best settings with the options I have available in the "Detailed Setup.pdf" I attached in post #1. Of course the Sound Blaster options are gone ...

Confused about things like whetehr to pick;

NVIDIA Video Decoder or NVIDIA Video Post Processor ??
MPEG Mode Default or MPEG Mode A - D ??
Dafualt or Bob / Weave ??
DirectSound: Realtek AC97 Audio or Realtek AC97 Audio ??
More in the attachment ...

Thanks to everyone for all the input through this fun adventure ... T.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:32 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
Confused about things like whetehr to pick;

NVIDIA Video Decoder or NVIDIA Video Post Processor ??
MPEG Mode Default or MPEG Mode A - D ??
Dafualt or Bob / Weave ??
Nvidia Decoder for TV, Post Processor for DVD
Default for the deinterlacing
Old 12-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
That's what I'm talking about!

Thanks Blade ...
Old 12-22-2005, 09:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
If you've got an nVidia card (even if you don't maybe) don't use the Post Processor at all, it's a software filter that's inferior to what the hardware can do.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:25 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
If you've got an nVidia card (even if you don't maybe) don't use the Post Processor at all, it's a software filter that's inferior to what the hardware can do.
Thanks Stanger ... This is why I am asking ... I wold not have know any better either way ...
Old 12-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Heya,

Just an FYI on sound blaster. Typically on their driver/install CD their is a program that you must run to clear out a previous driver install. Here is a link to their site and the uninstall process:
http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/S....creative.com/
I would highly recommend using it when wanting to uninstall the sound blaster. Some files are left behind through the standard uninstall route that can cause problems alike what you are seeing here.
As to your HD failing/problem, take a look at www.hdtune.com. Pull their program and run a complete scan from the Error Scan tab. If this or other test doesn’t check out, I think its time for a new drive.
Windows does not handle reboots very well, and SageTV has been known to have problems in the past with corrupt recordings causing problems too. I'd make sure they are all solid with a different viewer/player before.
As mentioned before, VIA chipsets are to be avoided. I had a problem with them and a PVR-500 that the end result was "we are working on a fix but nothing as of yet". I ended up getting an nForce board to replace it and all has been rock solid since. HA! And to mention, that board is an ECS product. I've have a few ECS boards in the past, all have been rock solid running 24/7, or other odd-ball setups. I've found ECS to be rock solid, but on the cheap when it comes to features and out of the gate quality. If they post, or work outta the box, my luck has been they last as long if not longer than other mother boards.

Hope this helps,
RedR
Old 12-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Sage User

I've never had a mainboard with a VIA chipset that didn't have some sort of conflict with something. Found out the hard way that Intel CPU, Intel chipset is the way to go and not necessarily expensive. Really nice to have a computer that's rock stable. Check out some mainboards by GIGABYTE and Abit. The VIA chipsets are famous for problems with Soundblaster cards.

Also had problems with a USB webcam on two VIA-based boards. No problems with my last two mainboards (Intel-based).

Had an older ATI All-In-Wonder 7500 that seemed to cause stability issues mostly with games and any other video capture hardware / apps on the system. No more problems since I ditched it for a NVIDIA card and a Hauppage 250. All-In-Wonder might not be the best choice in systems where you'll be doing alot of capturing from other sources.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks a lot RedR and royphil345 for some great feedback ... I seem to have gotten the lock ups to quit since removing the SB card ...

But am concerned about remnant software left behind since I uninstalled through the driver in Device Manager ... I will check the Creative uninstaller per your suggestion ...

The hard drive seems stable and most of the issues were with the sound card installed and I believe due to post multiple lock up file corruption. But, maybe I will run another test with hdtune ...

As for the ECS board, this is my first ... wish I had the info before handing Fry's the $$$ ... but it had not acted up until this point. given all the strong opinions I will have to watch out for it and maybe consider an ABIT upgrade when I dig out of my seasonal credit card joy ... ... But I am glad to see that some have had a reasonable experience!

T.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by royphil345
Found out the hard way that Intel CPU, Intel chipset is the way to go and not necessarily expensive. Really nice to have a computer that's rock stable. Check out some mainboards by GIGABYTE and Abit. The VIA chipsets are famous for problems with Soundblaster cards.
FWIW, AMD on nVidia chipset has given me the same sort of success

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
given all the strong opinions I will have to watch out for it and maybe consider an ABIT upgrade when I dig out of my seasonal credit card joy
You should see my closet, looks like an ABIT store Let's see, BE6-II, KT7 (I think looking back, it did remarkably well for a VIA chipset ), BE7, NF7-S2G, NF8, AN8-Ultra. Can't come up with a bad thing to say about any of them. Made a couple mistakes, along the way (MSI K6 board, and an MSI KT266 Pro 2), but won't make those again
Old 12-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedR
Heya,

Just an FYI on sound blaster. Typically on their driver/install CD their is a program that you must run to clear out a previous driver install. Here is a link to their site and the uninstall process:
http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com/S....creative.com/
I would highly recommend using it when wanting to uninstall the sound blaster. Some files are left behind through the standard uninstall route that can cause problems alike what you are seeing here.

Hope this helps,
RedR
RedR ... I am not sure about the link posted above. I get a blank web page?? Are you sure it is correct?

Thanks, T.