SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Absolutely cannot get MVP to work

Absolutely cannot get MVP to work on my setup. I have had Matt's running for months without so much as a hiccup and I have upgraded with every new version of Sage and/or Matt's client. I work in IT so I feel I can troubleshoot a little bit but I am at a loss. Is anyone else having problems getting the MVP to work? I have two I bought this year that work great. I have even set my server to 10/half as suggested by many. I have zero problems getting connected to SageTV4.1 with the MVP. I immediately get the interface and menus. But once I try and play an MPG or Mp3 it immediately hangs and restarts the MVP on BOTH client boxes. I have removed Sage 4.1 and reinstalled 4.0 and Matt's and it works flawlessly.

ANY IDEAS????
Old 12-17-2005, 11:09 PM
SageTVaholic

What version of Java are you running? I was having a problem similar to yours and I removed 1.5 and installed 1.4 that is included with SageTV and it appears to have fixed the problem on my test system. I'm going to try the same principal on my regular SageTV server tomorrow and see if 1.4 fixes it there as well. So you might try switching Java versions and see if that helps.

BobP.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am using Java 1.5.5 . In my testing to get it working I completely removed ALL Java and installed Sage and let it install the version of Java that comes with it. No love I am just about at my wits end now. I have rolled back for tonight to see if anyone else has any comments. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Sage Icon

I had the same issue using java.1.5. Tried 2 different MVP's and as soon as you tried to play something, it would reboot.

I rolled back to 4.0 due to an .wmv import issue so I didn't persue the issue.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:01 AM
SageTVaholic

I just tried to roll back Java to 1.4 on my main SageTV box but it didn't help. But on my test box I can use this tip http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...26&postcount=7 to switch version and recreate it at least. So I think I will send a bug report.

BobP.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

Very good, maybe if we keep plugging at this we can find a solution or give Sage something to look at for a fix. Really not sure what to try now. I will try and install the server on another box without a tuner and test to see if it has the same results.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Well I kind of lied. Right now I can't reproduce it no matter what version of Java on my test box. I was able to get a log of it when it was bad with version 1.5 however so I am going to send them all of it and hopefully they can figure out what is happening.

BobP.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

I read somewhere that the Sage MVP client is a complete re-write of the software running on the MVP. Try letting the network run at 100 mbps I think the client now runs at this speed.

I have two working great. [One still on trial]
-Stan
Old 12-18-2005, 12:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Mine have always been at 100MBit never changed anything on the switch it is attached to. Just connected it up. Note I too have no problem on 3 out of 5 computers but the SageTV server that I want it to be on - will not work. It connects fine I can change settings adjust overscan etc. just fine. But I cannot play back a video. I'm attaching the logs here but expect them to ask for them as well.

BobP.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MVP problem logs.zip (120.7 KB, 302 views)
Old 12-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix
Mine have always been at 100MBit never changed anything on the switch it is attached to. Just connected it up. Note I too have no problem on 3 out of 5 computers but the SageTV server that I want it to be on - will not work. It connects fine I can change settings adjust overscan etc. just fine. But I cannot play back a video. I'm attaching the logs here but expect them to ask for them as well.

BobP.
That appears to be the same problem for me. Everything works fine until I try and play video. This is a dedicated Sage box with nothing else running other than a few MB monitors and LCD Smartie. I have always had it running at 100Mb/Full but also tried 10Mb/Half as some had suggested. Not sure what makes mine "special" as I have ran many add ons and every update to Sage that has come out with zero problems. This is my first problem ever with the Sage software. No problems with PC clients just MVPs
Old 12-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Did another test by installing the Sage server on another box with no tuner cards. Setup an import directory with a couple of the same MPGs that are on the sage box and the MVP works fine. That should rule out the network or network settings and narrow it to the Sage box. One thing of note that may or may not have relevence is I have a PVR350 in the Sage box that quit working and I disabled it until I can remove it. I thought with Matt's client it used some of the components that are used with the 350 to do some of its work. Is it possible that the Sage box uses 350 components and has issues with it being disabled? I am using the same version of Java on this box that is on the Sage server (1.5 update 5). On my test box I have Virus, Spyware, and every other imaginable utility that could cause a problem but not on my Sage box and the test box works ??????
Old 12-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question

Same thing happened to me yest.--would not play a video on my newly built pc but works great on another (old) pc.
Randy
Old 12-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Sage Icon

Did the same test and on a test Sageserver, it;ll work, but not my my main system.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

I removed the PVR350 that had been disabled on my server and it had no effect. It sounds like it is isolated issues on different hardware/software mixes (i.e. works on some not others). My Sage box is running Windows XP Media Center 2005, MSI K8N Neo Platinum board with nVidia nForce3 chipset. All network devices are connected to a Netgear 16 port 10/100 switch.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Here are the specifications of my SageTV Server. This is one of only 2 computers that I can't get the MVP extender to play a video on. I've gotten it to work on 5 other systems so it must be system specific.

MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum:
CPU
• AMD® Athlon™ XP 3200+

Chipset
• nVIDIA® nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset
• nVIDIA® nForce2 Gigabit MCP Chipset

Lan
• Gigabit connection to Linksys Gigabit Switch and Cat 6 cabling in basement
• Second Gigabit switch upstairs where other computers and MVPs are connected - also Cat 6 cabling
- have tried connecting an MVP to first switch so that only one switch between but MVP still doesn't play video from this box on 4.1

Main Memory
• 2x512MB = 1GB total

On-Board IDE
• Boot OS drive 60GB
• DVD/CD drive

Serial ATA Interface
• 1 250GB on nForce2 Gigabit MCP Chipset
- alternate recording directory
- image backup drive of OS drive

AGP Video
• Radeon 9000 Series - I don't actually watch anything on this just record.

PCI cards
• LSI Logic MegaRAID SATA 150-6
- 6 250GB drives with one a hot spare in Raid 5 array
• PVR-250 retail but don't use a remote on this system - analog coax input
• 2 PVR-500MCE's 1 analog coax and 1 composite input each

USB-UIRT controlling two DCT-1700 STB's.

OS & Software
• Windows XP Home updated with the latest updates
• All drivers from the PVR-500MCE cd - not the latest but they work
• MSI drivers and utility files from Motherboard CD
• SageTV 4.0 in Service mode
• No anti-virus software
• Java 1.4.6 from SageTV install did have 1.5.2 until 4.1 MVP problems
• NV Firewall never installed and MS firewall disabled
• Matt's MVP Client x2 works great with SageTV 4.0

BobP.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Sage Icon

I'll rolled back to 4.0 due to an .wmv import issue so I can't do any more testing on my main system, but as a data point, the MVP crashed on a XP pro system running on MSI K7N2 nForce2 board. It ran fine on an Intel board running XP pro

edit: posted almost the same time as Bob. My system looks very similar.
Same board without Gibabit NIC
512Meg RAM
Adaptec 2810SA Raid
PVR-150-retail
2 PVR-500

Last edited by ke6guj; 12-19-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm curious about the MSI nForce board. Mine that doesn't work is also MSI but nForce3. The other box I tesed with and was able to get it working on was an Asus MB. What are your other MB that work/don't work?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

Wink

My new nforce 4 board will not work (Media MVP) but my old cheapo Fry's board ECS works great.
Randy
Old 12-19-2005, 12:41 PM
SageTVaholic

The second board that doesn't work is an ASUS K8N-E deluxe. AMD 64 nForce3 250Gb. WinXP Pro.

Working AMD's
  1. A DFI NFII ULTRA INFINITY - NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset with same 3200+ and 1GB memory but a Linksys GB lan card. WinXP Home.
  2. A DFI LANPARTY NFII ULTRA B - NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset with same 3200+ and 1GB memory and Realtek RTL8110S Gigabit LAN on motherboard. MCE2005
All the Intels I have tried work:
ASUS P4C800, Soyo SY-7VBA133U and Tyan Tomcat i7210 (S5112).

Didn't try it on anything earlier than the SY-7VBA133U that I have lying around.

BobP.

Last edited by BobPhoenix; 12-19-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Sage Icon

Bob, I've also got an ASUS K8N-E deluxe. AMD 64 nForce3 250Gb. WinXP Pro that I threw Sage on to test just now. No go.