SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Support for wireless Media Extender?

Is there any wireless Media Extender that SageTV supports?
Old 12-20-2005, 06:22 AM
SageTVaholic

The MVP is the only extender Sage currently supports. A wireless MVP is supposedly going to be released early in 06.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Sage

You could always use a wireless game adapter to convert the wired connection to wireless.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Sage User

I have not read good things about the game adapters as they are not working well with the BOOTP and DHCP needed by the MVP. Since they are actually cheaper than the game adapters, I have two Linksys wrt54gs routers and setup a wireless bridge. BOOTP and DHCP work fine, MVP playback is flawless.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvoeh
I have not read good things about the game adapters as they are not working well with the BOOTP and DHCP needed by the MVP. Since they are actually cheaper than the game adapters, I have two Linksys wrt54gs routers and setup a wireless bridge. BOOTP and DHCP work fine, MVP playback is flawless.
I have a similar setup with 2 WRT54G routers in WDS mode.

Router A is connected to my cable modem
Router B is near my TV
MediaMVP is connected by wire to Router B
Server has a wireless card

Works like a charm.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybris
I have a similar setup with 2 WRT54G routers in WDS mode.

Router A is connected to my cable modem
Router B is near my TV
MediaMVP is connected by wire to Router B
Server has a wireless card

Works like a charm.
Only difference with my setup is the server is hardwired to Router A. Everything else the same. WDS Rocks !!!
Old 01-15-2006, 11:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Can someone elaborate on having a two router setup? I'm not quite clear on how router 1 connects to router 2?? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Sage User

Just announced at the CES - Wireless version!

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-...amp-148817.php

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/articl...60105210907159
Old 01-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
You could always use a wireless game adapter to convert the wired connection to wireless.
Another option (if you have or can get one) is to configure a Linksys WRT54G to operate as a wireless bridge. You have to load an alternate firmware to get it to work, but it works great! I'm using this type of a configuration myself...

Here's a link to a thread that describes exactly what you need to do.

WRT54G as Bridge
Old 01-23-2006, 01:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
This is what I use and have no real issues with it now thanks to the improvents in the latest beta.. Works really well..

Netgear game adapter is the one I use
Old 01-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Sage Fanatic

Wireless MVP's are here:

http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ces_2006_3

I wonder how much they will cost?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:50 PM

$150 according to Engadget
Old 01-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

According to the pictures on HTPCnews, the wireless MVP not only sports wireless, but it also has SPDIF out!

Client 1 & 2: 50in Samsung DLP, 34in Insignia LCD, nMedia HTPC180, WinXP Pro SP2, SageTV Client v7 beta, XBMC, AMD XP2800, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB hdd, ATI HD3450, built-in audio, Firefly
Old 01-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

Looking at the back of the Wireless MVP http://www.htpcnews.com/images/CES_shots/IMG_1005.jpg

What is the ethernet jack for?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:11 PM
SageTVaholic

In case you want to do wired. Wired would still be a faster connection than wireless.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
I gave up on my wireless game adapter solution after 1 year.
Performance with wireless got worse with 4.0 and built in MVP support.
Broke down and drilled holes to my daughters room to get a cat-5 cable in her room.

Bottom line.. DON'T BOTHER with wireless MVP setup.. Totally unreliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvoeh
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 01-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia
Broke down and drilled holes to my daughters room to get a cat-5 cable in her room.

That kind of blanket statement isn't fair to forum readers.. I have a netgear game adapter that I have been running for a year now.. I initially used Matt's plugin with no problems.. then upgraded to the latest Sage.. that introduced some issues, but those issues were resolved in the lastest Beta Build. The wireless now works perfectly for me.. I go through 2 walls (1 is an exterior Stucco wall) and still get about 80% of the signal.. I run about 45mb at the MVP.. I can stream DVD standard quality (Haven't tried any higher, so that may work as well)...

I recommend these to anybody who doesn't want to put holes in the house and run cable.

Just remember not to put too many devices on the wireless network.. try to go 'G' only and make sure you don't have the MVP too far from the wireless router.

Wired is always better (though I hear there is a 600mb wireless protocal coming out very soon), but wireless can work very well if it is planned out and implemented correctly..

Old 01-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

I also use a dlink DGL-3420 wireless game adapter up one floor and 60 feet away from a dlink DI-624 router and experience no problems with Sage 4.1.3 or 4.1.5 (beta)

- Josh

Client 1 & 2: 50in Samsung DLP, 34in Insignia LCD, nMedia HTPC180, WinXP Pro SP2, SageTV Client v7 beta, XBMC, AMD XP2800, 1.5GB RAM, 80GB hdd, ATI HD3450, built-in audio, Firefly
Old 01-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
Let me clarify that I did use Sage 2.2.8 with Matt's pluggin with SOME reliability... after upgrading to 4.0 and using MVP support... it made matters worse. I was very involved with early posting on this subject and the majority of users were have LOTS of problems with wireless.. so really it isn't a blanket statement if you go through the archives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman
That kind of blanket statement isn't fair to forum readers.. I have a netgear game adapter that I have been running for a year now.. I initially used Matt's plugin with no problems.. then upgraded to the latest Sage.. that introduced some issues, but those issues were resolved in the lastest Beta Build. The wireless now works perfectly for me.. I go through 2 walls (1 is an exterior Stucco wall) and still get about 80% of the signal.. I run about 45mb at the MVP.. I can stream DVD standard quality (Haven't tried any higher, so that may work as well)...

I recommend these to anybody who doesn't want to put holes in the house and run cable.

Just remember not to put too many devices on the wireless network.. try to go 'G' only and make sure you don't have the MVP too far from the wireless router.

Wired is always better (though I hear there is a 600mb wireless protocal coming out very soon), but wireless can work very well if it is planned out and implemented correctly..

Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 01-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaffia

Speak for yourself, not for everybody else. I have an MVP across a wireless bridge between two routers at my house. I setup the same at my friends house. MVP's at both locations work flawlessly. I admit that not everybody may have the same success as I, but you just cannot tell everybody to "DON'T BOTHER" just becuase you had a bad experience. Apparantly there is enough good experiences with a wireless setup that Hauppauge decided to put the effort into making a wireless version of the MVP. If it were "Totally unreliable" as you state, why would have they bothered?