SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

How to power down the MVP?

Hi all

I am trying this new beta 4.1.4 and so far i'm impressed. It's more responsive then it was before with the plug-in (which was great by the way Matt!!!).
But.....how do i power down the MVP. When pressing the green power button, nothing happens! I am running sagetv as a service by the way.
When the the setting in set-up is changed to 'screensaver when standby' the green button does work.....it switches the display on tv to a screensaver.
However, i don't want that...i wanted it to power down, so the front panel led is swithced off as well.

Henk
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:59 PM
SageTVaholic

You can't. At least not yet.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Black electrical tape worked for me.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 12-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusvball
Black electrical tape worked for me.
Ha ha....good solution!

The thing is, with Matt's plug-in, when pressing the green button, my TV switched to that scart input immediately. Now it doesn't anymore. I have to go there manually.
Also, now the MVP is on all of the time. I don't like things being on all or in standby all the time. Especially when looking at danger of fire.

I hope they will make a fix for this real fast.

Henk
XP Pro SP2, SageTV v5.02.90, Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333 MHz), 2GB DDR RAM PC3200, 36 GB Western Digital Raptor, 200 GB Western Digital harddrive, Asus Radeon 9600 XTR, Plextor PX-708 8x DVD-/+RW, Pioneer 120S 48x CD-RW, PVR 150 MCE (2). Hauppauge MVP.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Same here, if can't power down, I wander if they could make it turn off the outputs.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakecrash
Same here, if can't power down, I wander if they could make it turn off the outputs.
That is pretty much what Matt's plugin does.
The mvp is pingable eventhough the output is black and the red led is off. I wonder if the power consumption goes down?
Marne
Old 12-22-2005, 10:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
The mvp doesn't really power down. We're looking into how to add a similar "pseudo" power-down like this in the next version.

Thanks

_Demo_
Old 12-24-2005, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henk99
I don't like things being on all or in standby all the time. Especially when looking at danger of fire.
The fire danger on these types of devices is the "wall wort" or wall transformer. Turning off the MVP will not turn off the wall transformer in the power adapter. Furthermore any device that can be turned on with a remnote never really turns completley off as it needs power to run the remote circuit.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

If you are worried about fire, I would worry about a computer (like your SageTV server) before I'd worry about an appliance type device like an MVP. Having said that, I'm not saying there's much of a fire risk by leaving a computer running, I'm just saying that it has many more components and a mechanical device (hard drive) that makes it more prone to problems than the MVP.
Pegasus - SageTV/HomeSeer Server: Core2Duo 1.8GHz, 1GB, 1.5TB RAID5, 2.25TB RAID5, Radeon X1050, (2) Hauppauge PVR250 (only used for security cameras now), SiliconDust HDHomeRun, Hauppauge HD-PVR, WinXP Pro
Prometheus - SageTV Client: Core2Duo 2.66GHz, 1GB, 500GB, GeForce 8400GS, WinXP Pro, 848x480 to InFocus SP4805 projector on a 78" screen
HD Theater (HD200) connected via HDMI to Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" plasma
web server plugin | 2 MediaMVP Extenders | FiOS TV
Old 12-26-2005, 06:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFlight
If you are worried about fire, I would worry about a computer (like your SageTV server) before I'd worry about an appliance type device like an MVP. Having said that, I'm not saying there's much of a fire risk by leaving a computer running, I'm just saying that it has many more components and a mechanical device (hard drive) that makes it more prone to problems than the MVP.
You guys are right, it makes sense that they are not really off. Ok, that's one part of the problem.
The other is more annoying to me. When i switch on my TV with the MVP connected, it always goes to that SCART channel, because the MVP is on. In the past, with matt's plug-in, the tv only switched there whenever you would press the green power button. I liked it that way.
I myself would greatly appreciate it if Sagetv were to make an option for this, so everybody can decide how they want to switch it on and off. I don't like this 'always on' state.

Thanks for your replies all, i made some things clear to me.

Henk99
Old 12-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Still wish they'd fix it

Not only is the light annoying, but I also have it connected to a device senses a signal and chooses which signal to show based on which one is on. This is now hosed. It means that I can't use my VCR (no great loss), or my coax cable in. I also don't like the fact that it's drawing power -- no matter how much.

I just unplug the thing, but it's annoying -- especially when I'm watching in bed.

All in all, sage is so much better than when I first started using it, that it is hard to complain anymore. I have studio, built in mvp support, and the fast forwarding/rewinding is more stable. I now recommend sage to everyone looking for a PVR solution. I can live with unplugging the thing.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Sage User

Try this

Henk, I have had the same kind of problem but with something totally unrelated...I solved it by going to radio shack (or whoever else you like) and got just a plain, very cheap A-B video switch. At least after you got done with the MVP you could switch it out of the equation and your equipment would work as advertised and use the black tape over the red light (I agree it can get annoying, particularly in a bedroom).

Bob E.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:18 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerjatmoes
The fire danger on these types of devices is the "wall wort" or wall transformer. Turning off the MVP will not turn off the wall transformer in the power adapter. Furthermore any device that can be turned on with a remnote never really turns completley off as it needs power to run the remote circuit.

If you really are concerned about fires (as we all should be ... as a general rule ) you should upgrade your panel circuit breakers to arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCI) ... which will stop/lessenthechance of an electrical fire But they're spendy ... cheaper than dying in a fire though
Old 12-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi all,

I have to say it was an eye opener for me to learn that with matt's plug-in the MVP was drawing the same power. The plug-in apparantly only switched off the red led and the output.
However, these are the things i miss the most! The solution of the switch is working greatly i think, and so is the black tape
But i think you all agree this 'solutions' should not be needed. Like mc2wheels said, it is hard to complain, as the sagetv product is becoming more mature all the time. However, this is an issue that interupts my normal tv viewing quite a bit, because of the 'always on' output mode. I myself find it very annoying that i have to switch to another channel EVERY time i swith on the TV. Commercially this was a very good move by SageTV Everybody in my house while i switch on the tv ask about Sagetv and what is does......

Henk99

PS: dagar, i'm in Holland myself. I couldn't find any reference to these cticuit breakers in dutch language. I don't know how they translate, but they sound like a good idea!