SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage 4.1.3 client black bars on side

Hi guys,

I just upgraded my 2.2.8 install (server and client) to 4.1.3 (server and client) last night and I have an interesting issue. When viewing TV via sage's server component, everything appears just fine (window and full screen modes). When viewing through the client in either screen mode, I am getting black bars on the sides of the picture. I view @ 1024x768 and I am getting approximately a 0.3 inch strip of black down the left and right hand side. I tried playing with the overscan and that does not seem to be the problem. Any ideas as to how I can fix it? It's really annoying.

Regards,

Beau

Last edited by beautye350; 12-23-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Sage User

Try changing the playback mode aspect ratio - 4x3, 16x9, source, and fill - for each one you can adjust the horizontal and vertical stretch percentages and offsets.

/Tdog
XP Pro, SageTV v4, 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4 (FSB 800 MHz), 512 MB DDR400 Dual Channel Memory, 80 GB WD SATA (internal), 250 GB WD SATA (external - usb 2.0), Gainward Nvidia FX5200, Shuttle XPC SB61G2 V3, NEC 3500A 16x DVD Single Layer, 4x DL, PVR 250 MCE, PVR USB2, USB-UIRT, StreamZap remote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

I tried that already. It seems that for some reason the client is rendering black bars on the side. Therefore the window is just accomodating that. Really weird. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Merry Christmas, all

Regards,

Beau
Old 12-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Sage Icon

Did you try a different decoder (Default)?
Old 12-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

I did not try that, but I will when I get home from work. I use the sonic cinemaster decoders on both the server and client and I wonder why the client is reacting differently, it worked perfectly on 2.2.8 client. I'm starting to wonder if this is a bug in this build. I was hesitant to do it because prior to this everything was running great, but I got the nVidia decoder and may give that a try to see if it helps.

Thanks again.

Beau
Old 12-29-2005, 09:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Well. No dice on changing the decoders. I still get the black bars. Something else I just noticed is that the width of the black bars is changing depending on the channel I am viewing. Some are worse than others. Anyone else with any ideas? Thanks again to those who have already tried.

Regards,

Beau
Old 01-10-2006, 06:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Does the windows desktop fill the entire screen? If not try increasing your resolution until it does.

If the desktop just barely fills your screen you may still need to increase your resolution a little. TV's have a fixed resolution, if you're resolution is too low then it's not going to fill up the entire screen.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltman
Try changing the playback mode aspect ratio - 4x3, 16x9, source, and fill - for each one you can adjust the horizontal and vertical stretch percentages and offsets.

/Tdog
I'm having a similar problem. I'm running sagetv v2.2 and everything was fine untill yesterday. Now when I enter the full screen mode the sage menu's precisiely fit the entire screen of my POS SDTV. If I play DVD's using intervideo's player it fills the screen. However when I click " Watch now" the picture is highly cropped. Changing the aspect ratio to any of the following "source, fill, 4 X3, 16 X 9, "changes the size of the picture none of them fill the entire screen. This just hapned yesterday when I was trying to get a better picture by cycling through all of the options. I'm afraid I changed something to induce this change but I can't go back. If someone can help I ould be most appreciative.

My specs are
Soyo p4-rc350
Pentium 4 2.4 ghz 800 mHz FSB
512 MB Ram
PNY 6600GT through component to 20 inch sdtv
WinXp pro
Hauppauge pvr-150
Comcast digital cable, split with the motorolla sending digital cable to the tv and the analog ( but some chanels still scambled) going to the pvr-150

Sandy
Old 01-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
Does the windows desktop fill the entire screen? If not try increasing your resolution until it does.

If the desktop just barely fills your screen you may still need to increase your resolution a little. TV's have a fixed resolution, if you're resolution is too low then it's not going to fill up the entire screen.
Yes, the desktop fills the screen. I am using a Dell 2001FP. The sage menus fill the screen, but when I switch to watching a previously recorded show or even live tv, I get bars on the side in full screen mode as well as window mode.

Here's a couple pics that may help.

Menus
http://home.comcast.net/~flyinz28/nobars.JPG

Playing previously recorded file.
http://home.comcast.net/~flyinz28/bars.JPG

Regards,

beau
Old 01-14-2006, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautye350
Playing previously recorded file.
http://home.comcast.net/~flyinz28/bars.JPG
I am having the EXACT same issue. If I can figure out the problem and get it fixed, I will be buying SageTV and going away from MCE.

For me it shows up on the SageTV machine and SageTV clients.

System Specs:
AMD Sempron 3000+
512MB Ram
MSI nVidia Nforce2 based board
Hauppauge PVR-150 tuner
Fresh install of XP Home (sp2)
Fresh install of SageTV (latest download version)
Latest tuner drivers, service packs, etc.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

OK, one more plea for help. If no one has any ideas on how to fix this I will just have to learn to live with it. Unfortunately it looks like there are at least 3 of us with this problem.

My Systems:

Server:
ABIT NF7-S w/2500+
1 GB RAM
(2) Hauppauge PVR-150 retail
XP SP2
ATi 9500 Pro

Client:
MSI K8N Neo4 SLI Platinum
4400+
2 GB RAM
BFG 7800GTX
XP SP2

Once again, this setup worked perfectly on 2.2.8 and only started the black bars since upgrading to 4.1.3. Another thing of interest is that the black bars vary in width depending on the channel being recorded. The pictures I linked to previously were showing one of the better behaving channels but I have yet to note a channel that did not exhibit bars at all. Thanks to anyone who may be able to assist us.

Regards,

Beau