SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Sage User

Skip commercials?

Okay so obviously I cannot skip commercials AS I am watching "live tv". When watching a recorded show, however, how can I skip the commercials?

I searched the forums but as I read more and more I got more confused, so I stopped...
Old 12-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Sage User

IMHO,

First, you will need Show Analyzer and Dirmon to detect the commercials.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12242

Then neilm's stvi that reads the output from Show Analyzer and tells Sage where to skip.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12194

Hope this helps. I know that there is a lot of info out there!

All I want for Christmas is no commercials!
Old 12-23-2005, 07:31 PM
Sage Expert

Or, do it the old-fashioned way and use your remote to bump forward past the commercials. Only takes me a few seconds to get to the start of the next segment.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry
Or, do it the old-fashioned way and use your remote to bump forward past the commercials. Only takes me a few seconds to get to the start of the next segment.
I'm guessing kandieman101 is smart enough to have figured that out. So he's probably looking for something a little more automatic. Not to mention it's nice to just lay the remote down and not have to touch it until the program ends.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman
IMHO,

First, you will need Show Analyzer and Dirmon to detect the commercials.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12242

Then neilm's stvi that reads the output from Show Analyzer and tells Sage where to skip.
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12194

Hope this helps. I know that there is a lot of info out there!

All I want for Christmas is no commercials!
Yep, Ditto!! Do it ... I agree, DirMon / Jere's ShowAnalyzer / Nielm's ComSkip is certianly the way to go!!

Not as hard as it seems ... Here's some Quick Install Notes (See Attached) I sent to my Sage buddies at work ....

Hope that helps ... T.

EDIT: I removed the attachment since I revised and reposted it ... See post # 15 ...

http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...6&postcount=15

Last edited by mightyt; 12-28-2005 at 11:30 PM. Reason: REMOVED ATTACHMENT - Revised in Post # 15
Old 12-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt
Not as hard as it seems ... Here's some Quick Install Notes (See Attached) I sent to my Sage buddies at work ....
That looks great! The only missing step is to open SAConfig and click Save All to create the settings files.

Do you mind if I put a copy on the DG forums? It is extremely clear on how to get commercial skipping up and running and would help some of my newer (or potential) users.

Jere
Old 12-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
I'm guessing kandieman101 is smart enough to have figured that out (using the remote to bump forward). So he's probably looking for something a little more automatic. Not to mention it's nice to just lay the remote down and not have to touch it until the program ends.
You never know, he does only have 3 posts (as of this writing)...
Old 12-24-2005, 06:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandieman101
Okay so obviously I cannot skip commercials AS I am watching "live tv".
Oh I should have mentioned that you can process commericials as shows are still being recorded. So you can almost watch liveTV. Just start watching a few minutes after the show begins so that you don't catch up to the live feed when you skip over them.

Quote:
You never know, he does only have 3 posts (as of this writing)...
It's probably happened to someone before.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

Permanent Deletion

How about an explanation about how to get rid of commercials completly from an MPG file? For instance when you want to record to DVD so that the shows don't have commercials. The PDF file stated that this only "marks" the files where the commercials are and does not get rid of them.
SageTV 4.1 / JVC Analog TV 27"/ 2.93G speed Computer/ 512mb Ram/ Pvr-150 / 45 Hauppage remote / Verto GeForce FX 5500 128mb svideo out/ Dishnetwork 501 box/VideoRedo Plus/ShowAnalyzer/DVDStyler Free Mpeg to Dvd recorder
Old 12-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Sage User

You can use Show Analyzer to output a Video Redo project file. Video Redo will create the mpg file without the commercials and then you can burn it.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Here's some Quick Install Notes (See Attached) I sent to my Sage buddies at work ....

Hope that helps ... T.
Thank you mightyt for this well done documentation. We need more of these around here.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinan
Thank you mightyt for this well done documentation. We need more of these around here.
Your very welcome Pinan ... I do these now and then for my Sage friends at work (hopefully to make it easier for them) and when I want to remember how I did something. Somehow at to some point I end up needing to do it again and go through the same steps trying to figure it out. For something I find important, it's worth a few minutes (hour ) to document some simple steps with screen shots and web references.

I agree with you, there should be more of these for tweaks, plug-ins etc. I will try and remember to post them when I do them for myself, others or wherever needed.

Thanks, T.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere_Jones
That looks great! The only missing step is to open SAConfig and click Save All to create the settings files.

Do you mind if I put a copy on the DG forums? It is extremely clear on how to get commercial skipping up and running and would help some of my newer (or potential) users.

Jere

Sure! Of course ... If you would like me to add the reference you mention and send it over to you let me kmow, I'd be happy to ...

Last edited by mightyt; 12-24-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Hope that helps ... T.
Like to personally thank you for your install notes. Just what I needed.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Sage Icon

ComSkip 1.3 for SageTV 4.x Quick Guide

Quote:

Jere
Here ya go Jere ... Sorry for the delay ... Been busy getting through Christmas!!

BTW, I have updated the doc to include the missing step ...

I have also cleaned it up a bit since you are going to include it on the DG web site ... I initially only thought it would be used for this thread ...

Glad it already helped a few people enjoy ComSkip!!

T.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ComSkip 1.3 for SageTV 4.x Quick Guide.pdf (355.5 KB, 680 views)
Old 01-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

Is there anyone out there that can explain in SIMPLE terms what an AVERAGE SageTV user (not expert) needs to do to get SageTV to NOT record commercials (free software prefered)?

It would be nice to get step by step instructions assuming you are talking to a regular SageTV user with basic knowledge.

If there is no such beast, please just say so.

Thank you.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Sage Fanatic

There is no such beast for "free" software, if by "free" you mean the original comskip.exe.

However, mightyt's instructions are step by step and pretty easy to follow. Of course they are for using ShowAnalyzer, which can be used without paying a dime if that is your wish. There are limitations and it will be slower, but that is your decision.

Jere
Old 01-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

FWIW...the $10 I gave Jere is some of the best money I have spent ... am chomping at the bit for his best version release though.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Sage User

Quote:
There is no such beast for "free" software, if by "free" you mean the original comskip.exe.

However, mightyt's instructions are step by step and pretty easy to follow. Of course they are for using ShowAnalyzer, which can be used without paying a dime if that is your wish. There are limitations and it will be slower, but that is your decision.

Jere
I'm using ShowAnalyzer. I'd say I get about a 70% - 80% success rate 'out of the box'. My trial key is about to expire. if I just let it expire, will it default back to the 'free' version or is there something else I have to do?

I figure that if I can later successfully get it to work reliabily on my shows, then I will later purchase it.

Overall tho, it's an impressive bit of coding. Everyone should check it out. On a funny note, We were watching 'My Name is Earl' the other night, and there was a 'flashback sequence' in the show. During transition to the sequence, then show did a 'fade to black'. SA figured this was a commerical a skipped right over it. Pretty amusing once you realized what was happening. We just re-winded the show and saw what we needed to.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbec
FWIW...the $10 I gave Jere is some of the best money I have spent ... am chomping at the bit for his best version release though.
That's fair enough $10 bucks. I don't mind spending 10, 20 or $50 bucks if IT IS EASY TO INSTALL AND WORKS.

So where can I download and get Instructions to install this $10 buck commercials skip software?