SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
What's your latest JRE update, Chris?

Granted, update #6 and Sage 4.1 seem to have hit at about the same time...
I'm not sure exactly how to check... but when I bring up the properties from the Java icon in my taskbar... it says version 1.5.0? I think there are updates available but I haven't downloaded them yet.

-Chris
Old 01-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Just to be clear, this happened with me at 4.0. Support recommended I upgrade to 4.1. It is still happening. Can someone confirm that back reving the java version helped?

In the meantime, I'll drop down to the 1.5.4 and report my findings.

Thanks,

Deliverer

Last edited by deliverer; 01-04-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc16
I'm not sure exactly how to check... but when I bring up the properties from the Java icon in my taskbar... it says version 1.5.0? I think there are updates available but I haven't downloaded them yet.

-Chris
Open the control panel, double click the Java icon, and on the "General" tab, click the "About" button. A little box will come up and near the top you should see a string like this "build 1.5.0_06-b05" - in that case it's the #6 update.

I downgraded my system this morning to the #4 update (still 1.5.0) but so far haven't had much of a chance to watch anything - I have two extremely over-active dogs (terriers) and I have yet to get through one show since I've been home tonight. Sigh...but then that's why I have a DVR in the first place, so I can enjoy the dogs and not worry about what's on when, right?

Anyway it should take several days to find out if this is reliable. My Sage machine runs Sage, nothing else, 24x7. If it survives through the weekend, I'll consider it "fixed" or at least worked-around.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
Open the control panel, double click the Java icon, and on the "General" tab, click the "About" button. A little box will come up and near the top you should see a string like this "build 1.5.0_06-b05" - in that case it's the #6 update.
Ah ok... mine says 1.5.0_04-b05. I guess I never installed the #6 update. That doesn't bode well for reverting back to 4...

Has anyone else noticed that this problem is worse with certain decoders? The problem is frequent for me using Nvidia or Cyberlink, but using the included Sage decoders, I don't think it's crashed once. Unfortunately I can't stay on these long, as they don't display HD correctly (a horrible bluish tint!).

-Chris
Old 01-05-2006, 08:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hmmm, so much for the Java theory. Thanks for the update. Mine hasn't crashed since reverting to the JRE 1.5 update #4 but it's only been a day so far.

As to decoders, I've seen the UI crash while watching recordings with both the Sage and the Nvidia decoders. Also, I'm only watching SD, at this point, no HD tuners - if that matters.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Are there java logs in the SageTV directory when it crashes? (Besides the SageTV debug log.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Not that I could find - but then I don't know what to look for. There was nothing obvious. Anyway knock on wood it's been fine since I downgraded the JRE but the jury's still out.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Sage User

Nope, I down-graded mine to jre-1_5_0_04 and after about 10 min of watching live TV, the window closed on me. I got an "hs_err_pid1708.log" error log file if that will help. Here is the upper section, its a bit long to post.

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6d732f65, pid=1708, tid=1860
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_04-b05 mixed mode, sharing)
# Problematic frame:
# V [jvm.dll+0xf2f65]
#

let me know if you want to see the entire file.
Sylvania 6842PF 42" HD Plasma connected to STV via S-Video
Old 01-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Administrator

You can upload files to the forum as attachments... which is prefereable to posting long portions as part of the post anyway.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage 4.1.4 and Java 1.4.2.10

Should I also file a bug report?

Do you need more details of setup?
Attached Files
File Type: txt hs_err_pid2624.log.txt (11.1 KB, 228 views)
Old 01-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Sage User

Maybe....

This is tied to a post I just placed in the forum.

Remove the UNC path to your Import Media folder - That is, if you're problem is like mine...

See my message:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15221
Old 01-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Sage User

i am still running 1.x i have not upgraded to 4.x so it is not a beta issue, i'll try the java downgrade
Old 01-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

No UNC paths here....
Old 01-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Sage User

Red face Been away sorry...

The holiday sucked up a lot of my time, sorry I haven't posted a response in a while, hope I cover everything with this post:

1 - I'm running v4 on both client and server... no beta.
2 - I'm running Java w/ update 6 (the newest), I had the same problem before upgrading to update 6 and hoped the upgrade would help... it didn't.
3 - All license keys are properly entered.
4 - I completely reloaded the OS (Windows XP SP2 w/ all Windows Updates), Java, and Sage on both client and server... problem remains.
5 - Log files look like gibberish to me... I'll attach the latest crash log I have... I noticed a date of "12/31/1969", it's not pulling that from my system - weird huh?
6 - I also have gotten a weird error in the middle of playback from time to time when sage didn't actually close out, it just freezes and says something akin to "Cannot read file system". The client drives are all accessible, the network is accessible, the client can ping the server and browse all UNC media drives and vice-versa.

I'm totally stumped on this!

At this point my "fix" is to map the red Streamzap remote to re-launch Sage, otherwise my wife would have left me by now... she still makes it known EVERY time she has to use it (which is pretty much every morning, and sometimes even in the middle of the day.)

I'd venture to guess that it's almost definitely a problem on the client since you can reopen Sage and pull the recording of the show/media you were watching and it comes back up and plays fine (thank goodness for that and FFW, otherwise she WOULD have left!)

Any suggestions? I'm all ears at this point...

(PS - The video card on my client is an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 and I'm running the SageMC 16x9 STV, I'm going to update my sig now to reflect that...)
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetvclient_0.zip (344.4 KB, 243 views)
Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Sage User

well, since my java downgrade i have not had it close once, now it just crashes all the time
Old 01-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Same here. I downgraded my other machine today as well. If I go the rest of the week without a closing, I'm calling the case solved.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

For me downgrading the JRE on the server machine did the trick - I mostly watch on the server rather than the client, so my usage model is admittedly different than most of yours, although during this time I've had the client running 24x7 with out any crashes. I didn't downgrade the JRE on the client, only on the server. The Sage UI on the server has been rock solid since the JRE downgrade. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Sage User

Talking Java downgrade fixed my issue... case closed...

Java 1.5 Update 6 sucks... downgrading on the client fixed me issue with Sage closing and getting kicked back to the desktop..

My wife is happy, thanks everyone for all the help!
Old 01-21-2006, 09:14 AM
SageTVaholic

I just noticed this also. Sage was up on the Server Full Screen. Turned my back, turned around and it was minimized on the task bar. Only thing that went on at the same time was the MVP client licked into screensaver mode. I am also running FSE. Maybe all of this has something to do with it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Sage User

any word on this? its gotten to the point where i cant even open sage, it gives me the initial splash screen and does its initialization but doesn't actauuly start... the process is there... please fix this before my wife kills me.

and i really dont want to shell out for another pvr program