SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Sage User

Angry Strange Import Media issue

Here's my issue in a nutshell: If I specify a UNC path for my import folder, the sage service will bomb, the clients lose connection to the server. If I stop the service, then just use the SageTV software directly, and specify the same UNC path, the application will just close to the desktop, no error message, within a few seconds. I then cannot re-open the sagetv application, as while it's loading, it will again just close to the desktop - no errors at all - nothing pops up.

I'm running the latest Sage 4.1.3 - If I edit the .properties file and remove the Import Media link, all is well, The service will start, the SageTV app will load, and all is well.

Yeah, maybe I've got a "bad" media file. I can't seem to find it. As a matter of fact, I pointed a program called Video Fixer at the folder and had it process every file there, so all the file are good and can be opened.

Yes, the sage service is running as a user - Administrator, using the same password as the PC sharing the folder - no login prompt ever appears on the mapping, or the unc access. And, when I point SageTV to that folder, it shows the complete contents, and I accept the path, but again, just moments after returning to the setup menu, the program reports that the connection to the service has been lost, or if not running the service, the app drops directly to the desktop with no error message.

I even totally rebuilt the PC, wiping the HD, reinstalling Windows XP, SageTV clean (not bring over my old wiz file) and again, even during the Wizard, if I point it to that UNC path, the Wizard will just drop to the desktop moments after accepting that path.

Oh, and as a note, from the desktop of the SageTV machine, I can hit the files via UNC or a drive mapping, without issue, and playback any of them in Media Player, or rename, del, move, etc etc etc, so there doesn't seem to be any sort of communication or firewall issue.

Any clues? It's a drag not to be able to access my media without moving it physically to the server.

Last edited by DON3k; 01-05-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Sage User

I only run the SageTV as a service, and on my desktop (of the same machine), no Sageclient.exe. So no UNC directories are used. I can go through the entire setup with out a problem. I can even use the channel guide w/o a problem. Mine only seems to shut down, or return to the guide when I am actually watching something, full screen, or not. Funny thing is, it all only started about a week ago. I've been running for a couple of months prior to this w/o a problem using SageTV 2.x. And as that is all this box does, and I had not upgraded Sage, I figured it was a Windows, or Java update. So I formatted, and reinstalled Windows, and SageTv w/o doing any updates, but, the problem came right back. So I am really baffled as to what the problem might be.
Sylvania 6842PF 42" HD Plasma connected to STV via S-Video
Old 01-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Sage User

Is this the part your referring to?

seeker/valid_root_import_paths=
seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions=.mpg,.mpeg,.mp2,.mpeg2,.mpe,.avi,.divx,.mpg1,.ts,.wmv,.asf,.wm,.tivo,.m2t
seeker/video_storage=C\:\\MyVideos,10000000000,2;D\:\\MyVideos,5000000000,2;

I did not find a specific video import path entry. But I'm running 4.0.056, maybe its different in that area?
Sylvania 6842PF 42" HD Plasma connected to STV via S-Video
Old 01-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Sage User

Strangely enough, in my .properties file, my Media Import location path is listed as:

seeker/archive_directory=\\\\mypc\\ImportVids,1;
\\mypc\ImportVids is the PC\Path with the shared media folder - This is the data I entered in the setup Wizard, when it asked for my Imported Media path, or when I go to Detailed Setup\General\Import Media button.

Why it's archive, I don't know, but then I'm not too familiar with the .properties file. However, since that's the only entry for the "\\mypc\ImportVids" path, that's got to be it. Also, after I delete the \\mypc\ImportVids and reloaded SageTV, I can get back into Sage without a desktop-drop, and when I check the setup button for the Media Import, it's blank, as I would expect from deleting the path from the .properties file.

I didn't notice, until you asked me to check, that the entry says archive_directory

Shouldn't it be seeker/valid_root_import_paths= (which is blank in my .properties file, even when I specify a path in the Wizard or Detailed Setup)

I'm verifying this from a copy of the .properties file I made just before I deleted the \\\\mypc\\ImportVids,1; entry, so I could go back incase this had ill effects, which it did not, as removing the entry fixed the service crash / sage not loading issue.

Could this be a bug? Why would the Wizard, or me going to Detailed Setup/General and entering this data into the Import Media area go into the .properties as Archive?

Last edited by DON3k; 01-05-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:00 PM

Same Here- Sigh-- So Glad you found that

I've been playing the "is it java?" game all day. Thanks So Much for Posting this!!

I'm having the exact same issue here. I knew it was something with setup because if I deleted the sage.properties file the UI didn't crash on me.

For me, I first discovered the issue after I replaced my MoBo and ran through the setup of Sage 4.1...3. While importing my photos and creating thumbnails the UI just quite. No explaination - Just closed. (I posted the hs_err_pid316.txt file).

Sure enough after reading your post, I wiped arguements for the seeker/archive_directory= line from sage.properties and ALL IS WELL. I'd still like my music and photos, but at least I can sleep tonight!!
Attached Files
File Type: txt hs_err_pid316.txt (12.2 KB, 182 views)