SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Sage User

Sound off rip dvd is distorted, about to take a hammer to my Sage Box

Board,

I am in desparate need of help. I have been trying to get my ripped DVD's to play on Sage. I have gotten video and sound, but sound is terrible. It is very distorted and would like to clear it up. I have downloaded and installed AC3filter, but not seeing it as an option on Sage in the detailed setup. If anyone could get me started in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I believe it has something to do with the codecs, because I get the same distorted sound out of Windows Media Player 10. Do I need to buy at dvd decoder and go with it or is it something I can adjust on the AC3 config menu. I have looked at the config menu and do not know where to start.

Again and help would be appreciated. Any if I don't get a reply, this box is going to get it

THanks
Rtwhbw
Old 12-24-2005, 04:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

first, try playing a normal DVD, to make sure that the ripping process didn't screw anything up.

Second, what codecs are you using? And have you installed multiple codecs? That may cause wierd things to happen.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwhbw
I have downloaded and installed AC3filter, but not seeing it as an option on Sage in the detailed setup.
Detailed Setup->Dvd->DVD Audio decoder filter.

You will have to have restarted Sage since installing AC3Filter for it to show up.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Sage User

I have tried a DVD (toystory) and am having the same problems. I have rebooted and still no AC3 on Sage. I downloaded the Nvidia Decoder and installed it. Nvidia's decoders show up.

This is what I am have now. Same noise problem (sounds like soundtrack is choppy).

Under DVD AUdio Renderer: soundmax digital audio, default directsound device, default waveout device, directsound:modem#1 line playback (emulated),directsound:soundMAX digital audio, modem#1 line playback

Under dvid audio decoder: intervideo nonCSS audio decoder for hauppauge, mpeg audio decoder, dvidia audio decoder, sagetv mpeg audio decoder

Current dvd audio decoder: list same as above

Obviously, I am not a tech guy, but this is drivinig me crazy. I have about 11 audio codec when I look at device manager. Those start with imaadp32.acm, msadp32.acm, msg711.acm, msgsm32.acm, tssoft32.acm, msg723.acm, sipro lab telecom audio codec, indeo audio software, fraunhofer llS MPEG Layer-3 codec, windows media audio, microsoft PCM converter. All in that order. I have tried turning them off and on and still have same problem. I still have the same problem on Windows Media Player itself. I have another machine I run SageTV on for recording and it also has the same sound problem.

ANy other suggestions? I am clueless as to what to do with this problem.

THanks in advance
Rusty
Old 12-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Sage User

I thought I may need to give a little more info. My set up. I am recording off DirectV and just using a monitor and two speakers for sound (no surround sound or anything nice). I have played to ripped dvd's on my TV/DVD player and the sound works fine. When I move it to my computer and play on Sage I get the same sound problem (choppy sound). I also just notice when I hit pause on Sage with playing DVD that I see "Audio: English AC3 5.1". I don't believe I am using 5.1, so would that be causing my problem. I am guessing not, because I had the problem before I installed the AC3.

THanks Rusty
Old 12-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Sage User

The reason you are getting garbled sound is that your sound output is vacillating between DD and PCM. I have the same problem.

I'm not able to get DD from AC3 filter, but if you want to get straight PCM you can do this:

Download Radlight Filter manager:
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/...r_manager.html

AC3 Filter should be listed under Direct Show Filters. Highlight it and select "Properties". Go to the System tab and make sure that AC3FIlter is set to be used for all types of audio, and set it to DTS and AC3 passthrough, if you are using S/PDIF.

Another thing you should get to know is Graphedit.
http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/do...hedit_141.html

Fire up graph edit and choose "Render Media File". Then browse to a media file you wish to render, and it should give you an intuitive playback flow chart. This will allow you to see what filters the files get passed through. You can also get to property pages for AC3 Filter through Graph Edit.

Software: XP Pro SP2; SageTV 4; nVidia Video Decoder; nVidia Audio Decoder
Old 12-31-2005, 03:13 PM
Sage User

THanks for the information. Several questions on your answer. What is DD, PCM, DTS? Could not get it to bring up properties once I highlighted it in Radlight Filter Mgr. As you can tell, I am not very versed in codecs and this level of software knowledge. AC3 did not show up as filter when I ran Graph Edit.

Still having the same problems. Any other suggestions?

R