SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Sage User

Transparent SageTV setup

Hi all!

I'm trying to setup SageTV + PVR-350 so it is completely transparent on my computer: I want to continue using the computer even if SageTV is running in the background (gf is watching tv...).

But I have a few problems / questions:
1- When the UI is enabled on the TV Out of the PVR-350, the menu navigation is terribly slow, eating 50% of my CPU. Maybe this has something to do with the 3D acceleration, which I can't enable (I get an error saying that my card needs 32 mb (I got a GeForce 6600 with 128 mb), and all the latest drivers / directx are installed)?

2- Is there any way to shut down SageTV on the computer, so it is only displayed / controlled on the tv?

3- Is there a way to navigate the program guide while watching a channel (ie. pressing channel up / down and only the show information changes, until I press Enter, to actually change the channel).

Thanks in advance, I hope I'll be able to finally get it running properly...
Old 12-29-2005, 11:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Might suggest you setup SageTV in service mode and use an MVP client. The CPU usage in that configuration is near zero so the PC could be used for other things. Look at the media extender forum: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37 for more info about it as well as the SageTV site: http://www.sagetv.com/extender.html.

BobP.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Sage User

That would be nice, but I already purchased the PVR-350...
Old 12-29-2005, 05:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoodij
Hi all!

I'm trying to setup SageTV + PVR-350 so it is completely transparent on my computer: I want to continue using the computer even if SageTV is running in the background (gf is watching tv...).

But I have a few problems / questions:
1- When the UI is enabled on the TV Out of the PVR-350, the menu navigation is terribly slow, eating 50% of my CPU. Maybe this has something to do with the 3D acceleration, which I can't enable (I get an error saying that my card needs 32 mb (I got a GeForce 6600 with 128 mb), and all the latest drivers / directx are installed)?
3D accelleration is not possible on the 350's output, that's only for output of the video card. My understanding is that rendering the UI on the 350 is rather intensive.

Quote:
2- Is there any way to shut down SageTV on the computer, so it is only displayed / controlled on the tv?
Put Sage in Sleep mode I think. Not sure.

Honestly, if you really want to be able to use Sage "separate" from the PC, an MVP is way better than the 350. The 350 isn't a total waste, because you'll still need a tuner with the MVP.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Sage User

I played a little bit with SageTV using my video card's TV out instead of 350, and it's a completely different thing! The navigation / channel change / menu image quality is a lot better.

I think I'll check those MVPs, or maybe setup an old PC I have that's collecting dust. Thanks for the info!