SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-30-2005, 07:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Delete from import library

Is it possible to set Sage so that when you delete an item from the import directory it DOES NOT delete the file from the hard drive, only from the imported library list? I have several files that I view from time to time and I don't want to include them in the imported video section. However, when I browse to the file to view it, it automatically adds it to the imported video list. When I delete it to remove it, it deletes the file on disk. Previous to 4.1.x it did not delete the file for me (that's how I want it)

I have set NTFS permissions to read only for everyone except Domain Admins, including the System account. The Sage service and the logged on user are not members of the Domain Admin or local Admin group. I even set the properties to Read only and it still deletes them. I like being able to delete them from the imported video list I just don't want to delete the physical file
Old 01-06-2006, 08:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Is it possible to set Sage so that when you delete an item from the import directory it DOES NOT delete the file from the hard drive, only from the imported library list?
no..

Move the file to a different directory outside of the import directory hierarchy.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the reply nielm! THAT SUCKS.... Do you have any idea when that functionality changed and why??

Technically, I should have clarified my original post to indicate that the files are not in the import folder hierarchy at all. They are located in a directory completely seperate from my import files which is setup to import from a shared folder on the same machine (an old MVP/Client config I believe). These files are in a different folder.

i.e. Import folder

"D:\ImportedVideo\" is shared as "\\myhtpc\ImportedVideo"

My imported directory points to "\\myhtpc\ImportedVideo"
This works fine and imports all video I want in the library. However...

I have some files in another folder on the HD that I only view infrequently. It is in a folder called "D:\Archive"

If I go into the Media Center and "Browse Media Files" and got to "D:\Archive" and select a video it plays the video and then adds it as an imported video in the library. At this point I have never actually made the folder itself an import folder. Now before, all I had to do was click on this newly "imported" file and delete it and it was removed from the imported video folder and it left the physical file alone. Currently it deletes the physical file as well. I was just hoping I get it to stop physically deleting the file which I am not sure how it is able to that anyway??? Do you know what security context Sage runs under that allows it to bypass NTFS security on a physical file when all concerned accounts are set to read only?

Thanks for the input anyway, I had almost forgot about/given up on this post...
Old 01-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Browsed files aren't supposed to remain in the library indefinitely, as far as I know... they stay in your library if you just let it sit? What happens to browsed file A in the lib when you browse & load B? Do you get both in the lib, or does A go away & B shows up?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

You know Opus I did not think about that. I have never let it sit for too long before trying to delete. It does indeed remove the other file when I open a new one, usually. There is "usually" only 1 browsed file listed but I have on occasion seen two. I will try and let it sit for while and see what happens. I had gone into Refresh Media Files and did a refresh and thought that might remove it but I only let it sit for 3-5 minutes after doing that. I will see if it needs to sit a little longer.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

Shows listed as 'Imported' but they aren't...

I just noticed I have a whole bunch of shows that list in my imported area that are not supposed to be in there.. I have an actual directory d:\imports that contains all my imports and that is where I have sage configured to look... yet somehow a whole bunch of shows that exist in other directories are showing up in the GUI as imported...

Is there any way to remove them from this list? If I delete them from the imported show gui, they get removed from my HD..

Any ideas?

SageTV 4.1.5
Old 01-21-2006, 11:44 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrue
Thanks for the reply nielm! THAT SUCKS.... Do you have any idea when that functionality changed and why??

Technically, I should have clarified my original post to indicate that the files are not in the import folder hierarchy at all. They are located in a directory completely seperate from my import files which is setup to import from a shared folder on the same machine (an old MVP/Client config I believe). These files are in a different folder.

i.e. Import folder

"D:\ImportedVideo\" is shared as "\\myhtpc\ImportedVideo"

My imported directory points to "\\myhtpc\ImportedVideo"
This works fine and imports all video I want in the library. However...

I have some files in another folder on the HD that I only view infrequently. It is in a folder called "D:\Archive"

If I go into the Media Center and "Browse Media Files" and got to "D:\Archive" and select a video it plays the video and then adds it as an imported video in the library. At this point I have never actually made the folder itself an import folder. Now before, all I had to do was click on this newly "imported" file and delete it and it was removed from the imported video folder and it left the physical file alone. Currently it deletes the physical file as well. I was just hoping I get it to stop physically deleting the file which I am not sure how it is able to that anyway??? Do you know what security context Sage runs under that allows it to bypass NTFS security on a physical file when all concerned accounts are set to read only?

Thanks for the input anyway, I had almost forgot about/given up on this post...
I'm seeing the same thing! I have a bunch of shows now that are in my imported videos area that should not be and are not in the filepath that Sage has configured for imports! Removing them from imports removes them from the HD and from all Sage menus.. these files exist in both imports and in sage recordings... the imported videos ALSO contains the files it is configured to show...
Old 01-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Administrator

(I merged your 2 posts here, since they are really the same question.)

Were those improperly imported items initially recorded by SageTV? If not, did you browse to the files just the other person, above? It might help to know the source of the imports if they are outside any import dirs. Alien videos found seeking refuge in video recording dirs are automatically assimilated into the library... or even recordings that have lost there way & were removed from wiz.bin for some reason could be imported.

You could try renaming/moving the files & then delete the library entries.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:06 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
(I merged your 2 posts here, since they are really the same question.)

Were those improperly imported items initially recorded by SageTV? If not, did you browse to the files just the other person, above? It might help to know the source of the imports if they are outside any import dirs. Alien videos found seeking refuge in video recording dirs are automatically assimilated into the library... or even recordings that have lost there way & were removed from wiz.bin for some reason could be imported.

You could try renaming/moving the files & then delete the library entries.

- Andy
Another late night eh Andy?

To answer some of your questions.
1) Yes all shows improperly listed were recorded with SageTV.
2) The files that actually are in the Import directories show up correctly, but there are MANY files listed in the Imported Videos GUI that actually exist in the show directories and NOT in the configured Import Directory within Sage.

I'm not sure how to implement your suggestion.. rename the files that are improperly listed in the Imported Videos? These files are where they are supposed to be, wouldn't renaming them make their program data vanish from sage? To do this I'd shutdown sage, rename all the files that are in Imported Videos improperly, restart sage and delete the original filenames from the Imported Videos area if they still exist? The renamed shows would then be properly located and listed as 'recorded' shows within the Sage GUI with all show information intact??
Old 01-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman
Another late night eh Andy?
Nah... if I post around 5 or 6 AM (my time), then that would be a late night.

Quote:
To answer some of your questions.
1) Yes all shows improperly listed were recorded with SageTV.

I'm not sure how to implement your suggestion.. rename the files that are improperly listed in the Imported Videos? These files are where they are supposed to be, wouldn't renaming them make their program data vanish from sage? To do this I'd shutdown sage, rename all the files that are in Imported Videos improperly, restart sage and delete the original filenames from the Imported Videos area if they still exist? The renamed shows would then be properly located and listed as 'recorded' shows within the Sage GUI with all show information intact??
If those imports are still in the video recording dirs where SageTV placed them when they were recorded, then that indicates some sort of issue with wiz.bin. I'm guessing you will not see them listed on the SageTV Recordings screen, and if they are, then something _really_ strange is going on.

Are these very old or fairly recent recordings? I'm guessing that either you started with a fresh wiz.bin (lost data for old recordings) or else you replaced wiz.bin with an older copy at some point (lost data for newer recordings). When that happened, SageTV lost all knowledge of those recordings & imported them instead.

- Andy
Old 01-22-2006, 01:46 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4

Are these very old or fairly recent recordings? I'm guessing that either you started with a fresh wiz.bin (lost data for old recordings) or else you replaced wiz.bin with an older copy at some point (lost data for newer recordings). When that happened, SageTV lost all knowledge of those recordings & imported them instead.

- Andy
I had Sage lose track of a couple files when I made big changes to my recording folders.

I moved 4 folders full of files into one big RAID5 folder. With Sage shut down, I moved them one folder at a time and then restarted Sage after each folder was moved. In total, about 100 files were moved at a time, and between 0-10 files would be considered an import. Restore to an wiz.bin backup and try again and different files would be "imported". Having a couple files listed in the import section was not that big a deal. I quickly watched those files and deleted them.

The problem now is that all of those "imports", even after being deleted, still show up in Search.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lost files (Medium).JPG (96.3 KB, 242 views)
Old 01-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj
The problem now is that all of those "imports", even after being deleted, still show up in Search.

I have seen this too but thought that's the way it was supposed to be. Is it not? I just assumed it was a historical archive record that would always be there until Sage performed some type of routine maintenance to purge old entries. Don't know if it even does that, I just assumed it would have to do sometype of DB maintenance. A corrupted wiz.bin would definately be a culprit if its not supposed to show them.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I have seen this too but thought that's the way it was supposed to be. Is it not? I just assumed it was a historical archive record that would always be there until Sage performed some type of routine maintenance to purge old entries. Don't know if it even does that, I just assumed it would have to do sometype of DB maintenance. A corrupted wiz.bin would definately be a culprit if its not supposed to show them.
Well, okay.. can't fight corruption I guess! Yes, these videos show BOTH in my imported videos AND in my recorded shows areas.. deleting from either place deletes them from both..

I'll assume there is something funky in my wiz.bin... most of the shows are fairly new (in the last 2 months) and I haven't done anything odd that I recall with sage since then.. but if it isn't a universal problem, I can accept it is a 'my' problem..

Thanks!

Sure wish somebody would come up with a wiz.bin repair tool!!!
Old 01-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman
Well, okay.. can't fight corruption I guess! Yes, these videos show BOTH in my imported videos AND in my recorded shows areas.. deleting from either place deletes them from both..
I don't know about all the other coments in this thread, but that shouldn't be happening, unless perhaps the recording dirs are also listed as import dirs. If both places are really linking to the same exact file, I would contact tech support, since SageTV may be interested in hearing about that.

- Andy
Old 03-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
You know Opus I did not think about that. I have never let it sit for too long before trying to delete. It does indeed remove the other file when I open a new one, usually. There is "usually" only 1 browsed file listed but I have on occasion seen two. I will try and let it sit for while and see what happens. I had gone into Refresh Media Files and did a refresh and thought that might remove it but I only let it sit for 3-5 minutes after doing that. I will see if it needs to sit a little longer.
This problem had resolved itself for me a few betas back but now seems to have reappeared. I browse to a file and it will stay in the imported video listing forever. If I browse to another file, it will remove the older file and only show the newest entry. There is always one listed and no matter how long I let it sit it still remains. Any thoughts......

John
Old 03-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Administrator

The only thought I have would be to submit it as a bug.

- Andy
Old 03-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Will do Andy! Thought it might just be me and it still could be just wanted to throw a bone to see if it was more common.