SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Sage Icon

Linux version features & questions

Does the Linux OEM version have support for parsing FLAC tags, and if so, are their any plans for porting this functionality to the windows version?

Also, do you have drivers supplied for Nvidia cards that take advanatage of purevideo or anything beyond simple XVMC acceleration?

Thanks,
Mike

PS Is there a version of documentation for the Linux version? The link on the product page points to the windows version documentation.

Last edited by mikesm; 01-04-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Sage Icon

(Sorry to threadjack, but this is also a feature question ). Can you use the -client tag to set it up as a client to an existing server, or set it up as a network encoder?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm
Does the Linux OEM version have support for parsing FLAC tags, and if so, are their any plans for porting this functionality to the windows version?

Also, do you have drivers supplied for Nvidia cards that take advanatage of purevideo or anything beyond simple XVMC acceleration?

Thanks,
Mike

PS Is there a version of documentation for the Linux version? The link on the product page points to the windows version documentation.
As far as I know, there is no support for PureVideo in the Nvidia drivers for linux. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Sage Icon

Post SageTV Linux OEM FAQs

I think there are tons of questions that needs to be answer, I'll start.

Trial version, when?
Can it be installed on other linux distros besides Gentoo?
Server/Client License transferable from Windows version?
Plans for linux client app, when? Will it be able to connect to Windows server, or vice versa?
No remote control bundled with Linux OEM, only IR blaster?
HD Tuner support?

Thats it for now

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Combined Linux/Windows Implementation

Is it possible to set up one or more Linux Sage systems as Network Encoders, and use Windows Sage (full version) as a client?

What I would like to do is to remove most of the recording off of my Win2003 server to a modest Linux box, with a couple of PVR-500's, and leave my PVR-150 in the Win2003 box for "live" TV. Is there a way to have the Win2003 Sage control the recording on the Linux box, much like a Network Encoder?

Does this request even make sense?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:02 AM
SageTVaholic

If it was me I would stick all the tuners in the linux server and use your Windos 2003 as a Sage client. Even "Live TV" is recorded to the hard drive. If you Windows 2003 was an encoder with a tuner the "Live TV" recording would go to the linux server and would stream from there anyways.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Just a quick update: since this forum opened, I've had plans to create a FAQ thread for the Linux version, like the SageTV Software forum has, but getting answers confirmed takes a little longer due to many people from SageTV being at CES... and I wouldn't want to give any details that are incorrect. In the meantime, I've merged the similar questions here.

I'm going to try to cover such things as usage as a client or network encoder, why it is called OEM when it isn't limited to only mfrs buying it, MVP usage, and so on.

Regarding the manual: the website has installation instructions. For general usage: except for some configuration details, the UI is essentially the same as the UI that you see on the Windows version or the MVP -- they all use the same STV file, after all.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to _Demo_
I'll try to answer all the questions for which I know the answer.

Q: Also, do you have drivers supplied for Nvidia cards that take advanatage of purevideo or anything beyond simple XVMC acceleration?

A: Not currently

Q: Can you use the -client tag to set it up as a client to an existing server, or set it up as a network encoder?

A: This should be working but the syntax might be a little different for the client mode.

Q: Can it be installed on other linux distros besides Gentoo?

A: Yes but you will have to do the work of getting all dependencies there. The install CD already contains a preconfigured example distribution.

Q: Plans for linux client app, when? Will it be able to connect to Windows server, or vice versa?

A: Linux client/server is already compatible with the windows version as well as extenders.

Q: No remote control bundled with Linux OEM, only IR blaster?

A: The only remote currently supported is the PVR150, the same interface is used for input plugins as on the windows version so someone could easily add other input devices. We can provide more information if needed.

Q: HD Tuner support?

A: Still experimental at this point.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
I think there are tons of questions that needs to be answer, I'll start.

Trial version, when?
Can it be installed on other linux distros besides Gentoo?
Server/Client License transferable from Windows version?
Plans for linux client app, when? Will it be able to connect to Windows server, or vice versa?
No remote control bundled with Linux OEM, only IR blaster?
HD Tuner support?

Thats it for now
I too would be very interested to see what remote support there is. I use a USB-UIRT to tune 3 sat. receivers with Sage on the server as well as receive commands from a Harmony remote on 2 clients. It looks like Linux USB-UIRT is somewhat working using LIRC.

Re: Linux client. Looking over the install documentation it eludes that this distro can be the server or client. Maybe I read that wrong? Not sure about how licensing would work out though.

The last must have feature for me, although not a Sage product , is Show Analyzer for comskip.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Here is what you are talking about on the USB-UIRT forumns that talks about how to get it working in gentoo linux. http://65.36.202.170/phpBB2/viewtopi...b04bda87c4bbf8 and transmitting http://www.usbuirt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4163#4163

Don't know linux so is gibberish to me!

BobP.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Bob - I think your links should be put in the FAQ sticky for the linux version. I think that is info many many people will want and need.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_
Q: Plans for linux client app, when? Will it be able to connect to Windows server, or vice versa?

A: Linux client/server is already compatible with the windows version as well as extenders.

Just want to make sure I understand correctly. I have a Windows Sage server w/HD. Can I now install the Linux distro on an old PC (meets specs) that I have in the bedroom and use it as a Sage client streaming from my Windows HD server? Will it playback the HD content or is it still limited MPG2?
Old 01-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Yes, that means the Linux & Windows versions can talk to each other (just need the details for setting it to be a client). The playback formats are lists on the specs page.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner
As far as I know, there is no support for PureVideo in the Nvidia drivers for linux. I could be wrong though.
Today I talked with the purevideo product manager at the CES show. I pushed on Linux support for purevideo. He said they have shipped purevideo enabled linux drivers to OEM's, but that they plan no official driver release with it inside. He didn't into all the reasons for this, but it's apparently been implemented.

Maybe the Sage folks could walk over to the Nvidia booth and ask about bundling it to the Sage Linux product. That would be a good thing to add to the product.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Demo_
Q: HD Tuner support?

A: Still experimental at this point.
My HD cards work just fine in Linux, I've been using them to encode stuff using myth, since I don't know they'll ever be supported in Windows. If there are reasonably good Linux drivers, how much work is necessary to add support? Anything I can do to speed the process along? (I have a pair of HD3000 cards.)
Old 01-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Sage User

Trial Version Please

I would try the new Linux version in a split second if there was a trial version. I would then shell out the $79 if it worked well with my hardware.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Just a quick note to say that I've started a SageTV Linux FAQ. I don't have time to continue it right now, but I'll see what else to add later as forum questions arise.

- Andy
Old 01-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

doh, i just bought a windows version. i didn't know that the linux version would be packaged with the OS, that's awesome!

I'm pretty sure that linux and my ATI card with component and svid out don't play together nicely though.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariJeff
The last must have feature for me, although not a Sage product , is Show Analyzer for comskip.
Set-up Samba on Linux pc. You could then run ShowAnalyzer on a windows pc and access files via samba.
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/quick-samba-howto.xml
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_Samba
Old 01-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Just a quick note to say that I've started a SageTV Linux FAQ. I don't have time to continue it right now, but I'll see what else to add later as forum questions arise.

- Andy
If this is Gentoo based, you should also say so in the FAQ and provide a link to general resources about that distro.